HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

I made for me a very big step and painted some elements red - usually I like it more to have everything, even the wales, in the original timber color - but with this section model I tried it first time - and I am still not sure, if I like it.......
Maybe it is also because usually I build in pear, Elsbeere or cherry but now this section model is boxwood, which has a much lighter brown colour, slightly going into yellow. So some contrast is maybe not so bad ...... but take a look .....

and I am trying to show also the striptease, which was necessary to make the morter Ready for action with dismantling the roof and pit elements

View attachment 289958

the two roof elements received their eyebolts for lifting

View attachment 289959

with the help of tackles and a yrad-arm the elements were dismantled

View attachment 289960

View attachment 289961

covers of the side elements were layed on side - I guess here were the tackles for the mortar stowed

View attachment 289962

It is getting already growdy on the deck

View attachment 289963

the pit bulkhead frame was also lifted away

View attachment 289965

View attachment 289964

now also the small girders and the two inner bukhead walls away - after installation of the tackles (still missing) the mortar could be turned

BTW: the last photo is showing more or less the real colours (the other photos are much lighter (and colder) because of the articial lights in the workshop) - so the red is not so pinky ;)

View attachment 289966

Imagine how crowdy it was on the deck, you should add here in addition the four "normal" guns, somewhere were also the oars stowed, spare anchor etc etc.

Maybe they dismantled these pit elements and stowed them on the tender ships, which were delivering the powder and the amunition......
Nice rendition! It makes me wonder, with some cannon and mortars being cast with iron, what did they see for rust and oxidation at sea.

Based on the interest I checked the Talens Ecoline web-page - they have together 60 different colours available

the bottles:

1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG

and the brush pens

Unbenannt1A.JPG Unbenannt1b.JPG

Unbenannt3a.JPG

Until now, I did not try the bottle with "white" No. 100 which could be interesting for immitation of the "white stuff" painting of the underwater hull - with a little bit gray it could look good - @Maarten did you made already a test here?

For later on I have to decide how to present the section model.
With closed or semi-opened mortar pit

IMG-8997.jpg

- or completely open and dismantled elements so that the mortar is ready for action, but than maybe also with the necessary tackling of the mortar

IMG-9027.jpg

IMG-9029.jpg

IMG-9030.jpg

IMG-9031.jpg

IMG-9032.jpg

IMG-9033.jpg

it is time to finish all the missing deckplanking

IMG-9038.jpg

After that the outer hull planking is the next main task .... to be continued .....

IMG-9034.jpg

IMG-9035.jpg

Last edited:
For later on I have to decide how to present the section model.
With closed or semi-opened mortar pit

View attachment 290744

- or completely open and dismantled elements so that the mortar is ready for action, but than maybe also with the necessary tackling of the mortar

View attachment 290745

View attachment 290746

View attachment 290747

View attachment 290748

View attachment 290749

View attachment 290750

it is time to finish all the missing deckplanking

View attachment 290753

After that the outer hull planking is the next main task .... to be continued .....

View attachment 290751

View attachment 290752
Hello Uwe, I do like the cover on but opened. I don’t know if you can loosely fit the cover so when you feel like it you can take it off and adjust the mortar? Best of all worlds;)

Until now, I did not try the bottle with "white" No. 100 which could be interesting for immitation of the "white stuff" painting of the underwater hull - with a little bit gray it could look good - @Maarten did you made already a test here?
Hi Uwe. You asked it to Maarten, but I have used it on the inside of the bulwark and stanchions. You need several layer to get to get an opaque layer.
-> White Ecoline 100 <- last pictures of the post. You continue to see the wood structure and it gives a silk-matt appearance.
Regardfs, Peter

Based on the interest I checked the Talens Ecoline web-page - they have together 60 different colours available

the bottles:

View attachment 290731 View attachment 290732
View attachment 290733

and the brush pens

View attachment 290734 View attachment 290735

View attachment 290736

Hi Uwe,

See Peter already answered your question and I came to the same conclusion as him. You can also add some yellow and some grey to get a nice off white tint.

Keep in mind Ecoline are not pigmented and in time under sunlight the colors can fade, but results sofar are excellent.

Schminke aero color are pigmented inkts but give a more opaque result with less wood grain visible.

At least half open I would suggest. Would be a pity to hide that impressive mortar.

And I'm decided, if it's available again I will buy this kit! You convinced me ;)

Many Thanks to all your comments and suggestions -
later on the section will be arranged close to the full hull model - where I am able to show the pit in different situations
It is good, that also on the section model this can be changed with assembling and disassembling the pit elements - no glue necessary

It is time now for the outer hull planking - all planks are preshaped and laser cut

on the wooden sheets usually the outer planks are grouped by four planks, the thickness vary between 1mm (close to the keel) and up to wales with 3mm

IMG-8288.jpg

so I put the first 3 groups together and checked the orientation

IMG-8279.jpg

afterwards, when it was clear for me I marked the main axis of the double frames and started to make the treenailing of the planks in the normal way

IMG-8282.jpg

IMG-8283.jpg

IMG-8281.jpg

here you can see the first four planks with treenails dryfitted on the framing

IMG-8290.jpg

and once more check of the next group ........

IMG-8293.jpg

.... to be continued ......

and many thanks for your interest in my building log -> much appreciated !!!

Some more preparation works of the outer planking

I marked the appr. location of the "packages" on the frames, also with the thickness of the planking strips -

IMG-9041.jpg

and here the projection with the planks - on the first three "packages" the treenails are already prepared

IMG-9042.jpg

Due to the fact, that some sanding works will be necessary I decided to protect the inner hull with some masking tape

IMG-9040.jpg

The first plank is installed

IMG-9043.jpg

IMG-9044.jpg

as usual on this model the sides of the planks are painted black with Ecoline brushpen - together with the wood glue it is my imitation of caulking

IMG-9052.jpg

It is a dirty job with the blackened glue, but after scratching and sanding it will look good - btw: the planks are fitting very well,. It is only necessary to take care about the correct order, so checking twice before final fixing

IMG-9053.jpg

many thanks for you interest .... to be continued .....

Uwek,

You pass the ecoline pen all along the plank border PLUS you glue the plank with blackened glue using liquid ecoline from the flasks or blackened with graphite ?

The ecoline ink, when passed along the plank border, does not enter by capilarity creating like small hairs/filaments (forgot the English word) ?

Or you seal the wood pores before using the ecoline pen on the plank border ?

Sorry for all these questions

Thanks
Daniel

Uwek,

You pass the ecoline pen all along the plank border PLUS you glue the plank with blackened glue using liquid ecoline from the flasks or blackened with graphite ?

The ecoline ink, when passed along the plank border, does not enter by capilarity creating like small hairs/filaments (forgot the English word) ?

Or you seal the wood pores before using the ecoline pen on the plank border ?

Sorry for all these questions

Thanks
Daniel
Hallo Daniel,
many thanks for your interest and your questions - highly appreciated

The glue is not blackened. I am using waterbased wood glue, which partly take over the water based ecoline paint, so the glue is getting black by the ecoline paint.
There is no need close any pores before, definitely not with this very hard bockwood timber.
Also usually with other timbers I have here no problem with "bleeding" into the timber, especially not with planks, which are usually have the long side (plank border) parallel to the grain of the wood. Only sometimes on the butt joint, but only f.e. at relatively light woods.
In the past I used for caulking very thin black paper (Origami) but the ecoline method is much faster .....
First time I used Ecoline paints on my Le Coureur, so here it is the second time I am using it with relatively success.

Let us see how the planking of the HMS Granado will look like when the hull is finished........

Nice work, I learned something....I see how you measured and laid out the trennals lines, I will use this on my outer planking on the Enterprise, Thank you!

Back