HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Due to the fact, that I am in contact with Tom from CAF, I can make here in our forum an anouncement, when I get the info of a re-edition
The more You show about Your progress, the more I'm convinced in getting this kit someday, too. So I would be happy to hear about the next batch.

Not much to show..... Started with the deck planking and the necessary treenailing of the planks

a principle photo showing the treenailing
IMG-8585.jpg

and here the result on the deck planking - not finally glued and fixed, and the caulking also only painted on one side of the joints

IMG-8934.jpg

for the butt joint pattern (in general every 4th plank) I tried to completely follow here the Anatomy book by Goodwin

IMG-8935.jpg

the side view where you can see best the sanded waterway plank

IMG-8936.jpg

to be continued .....

Not much to show..... Started with the deck planking and the necessary treenailing of the planks

a principle photo showing the treenailing
View attachment 288406

and here the result on the deck planking - not finally glued and fixed, and the caulking also only painted on one side of the joints

View attachment 288407

for the butt joint pattern (in general every 4th plank) I tried to completely follow here the Anatomy book by Goodwin

View attachment 288408

the side view where you can see best the sanded waterway plank

View attachment 288409

to be continued .....
Hello Uwek, there is something that does not convince me about the planking as a 1643973607234.png

Hello Uwek, there is something that does not convince me about the planking as a
What do you mean exactly? What is not convincing you?
The sketch you showed is the shift system originally I think published by Mondfeld and taken over by Lavery.
It is showing a theoretical idea and is simpliefied - f.e. he is showing only one treenail, insteed of two (which would be usually correct) where no butt joint is.
I mentioned "every fourth planks" which is in general the "three butt shift system"
In the evening I will make a photo of the deckplan of the anatomy book showing what I wanted to express with my words in the previous post

What do you mean exactly? What is not convincing you?
The sketch you showed is the shift system originally I think published by Mondfeld and taken over by Lavery.
It is showing a theoretical idea and is simpliefied - f.e. he is showing only one treenail, insteed of two (which would be usually correct) where no butt joint is.
I mentioned "every fourth planks" which is in general the "three butt shift system"
In the evening I will make a photo of the deckplan of the anatomy book showing what I wanted to express with my words in the previous post
Hello Uwek, the sequence of the planking as a scheme, is just my opinion, without taking away your patient work you are doing

IMG-8935.jpg

Hello Uwek, the sequence of the planking as a scheme, is just my opinion, without taking away your patient work you are doing

View attachment 288460
Many Thanks for your interest and your suggestion, but.....

Sorry to say, that I am here not of your opinion.
Especially on a section model, which a very short cut out, you can not define a butt joint system like you showed in your photo - it is too theoretical
First point - the shipwrights started with planking usually from the center axis with the Kings-plank, and not from the waterway
second - the shipwrights used the planks what they had in stock - if possible they used more or less planks of similar lengths, but if not available the length differs by meters - also they used planks of different widths -> it was a pure question of availability of planks
take here a view on the real existing pattern on the individual decks of the Victory - extreme on the Vasa
Third - the Granado is somehow special, because she had not only the normal hatches as interruptions of the planking, but also two much wider mortar pits. Between the mortar pits the had to make long planks without any butt joints - therefore the next planking row needed a butt joint somewhere between the two pits => with this the pattern was starting
with green arrows the first group and with blue arrows the second group of butt joints

IMG-9037a.jpg

The red lines are showing the area of the section model

IMG-9036a.jpg

IMG-8959a.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest and your suggestion, but.....

Sorry to say, that I am here not of your opinion.
Especially on a section model, which a very short cut out, you can not define a butt joint system like you showed in your photo - it is too theoretical
First point - the shipwrights started with planking usually from the center axis with the Kings-plank, and not from the waterway
second - the shipwrights used the planks what they had in stock - if possible they used more or less planks of similar lengths, but if not available the length differs by meters - also they used planks of different widths -> it was a pure question of availability of planks
take here a view on the real existing pattern on the individual decks of the Victory - extreme on the Vasa
Third - the Granado is somehow special, because she had not only the normal hatches as interruptions of the planking, but also two much wider mortar pits. Between the mortar pits the had to make long planks without any butt joints - therefore the next planking row needed a butt joint somewhere between the two pits => with this the pattern was starting
with green arrows the first group and with blue arrows the second group of butt joints

View attachment 289137

The red lines are showing the area of the section model

View attachment 289136

View attachment 289135
Hello Uwek thank you for answering me and I respect your opinion as I do mine

Going further with the planking construction

I fixed / glued the planks together with the waterway on a glass plate - premade also the treenailing (forgot to make the treenails on the waterway)
afterwards the deck element was fixed on top of the beams

IMG-8960.jpg

closeup of the treenailing and the caulking

IMG-8961.jpg

spirketing up to the gunports was done with 2mm planking - and also the treenailing of waterway was made

IMG-8963.jpg

In the Anatomy book a scupper is shon in the area of the mortar - so I took over this information and installed a square brass tube

IMG-8965.jpg

still has to be adjusted with the planking and also blackened

IMG-8966.jpg

to be continued ....... many thanks for your interest

What I forgot yesterday to mention and show.
In the kit the spirketing plank is 1mm thick - I decided, like also our friend @stan167 shown in his log in his post #33
to use also 2mm plank

To produce a 2mm plank I used my turkish thicknesser from Netmak miniature - what a great tool - for such needs much better than the Proxxon

some timber form a kit wooden sheet

IMG-8923.jpg

after some runs through the thicknesser

IMG-8924.jpg

exactly 2mm all over the length

IMG-8925.jpg

this is the small orange box - highly recommended

IMG-5985.jpg

Going further with the inner planking of the rails
spirketting plank way installed so the next two rows of planking - but before the sills and lintels have to be installed

IMG-8967.jpg

IMG-8968.jpg

still some smaller sandings are necessary - on this side of the model all sills and lintels will be covered by planking - on the other side more accuracy will be necessary

IMG-8970.jpg

treenailing was prepared before - according the later openings for the gun-ports and the oar-ports

IMG-8969.jpg

now the locations of the treenails are making more sense......

IMG-8971.jpg

The ladder down to the galley

IMG-8973.jpg

In the meantime also the frame of the hatch was done - I go here the english way, means the frame is installed on top of the beams and carlings. The frnehc often installed such a frame on top of the deck planking, but we are english

IMG-8974.jpg

Both frame and ladder have to be finetuned

And the two cover roofs on top of the mortar pit were prepared

IMG-8954.jpg

IMG-8953.jpg

the covers on top of the pit

IMG-8955.jpg

slided sidewards to open the pit

IMG-8956.jpg

and lifted away so that the mortar could be prepared for action - step by step the model is getting a bomb vessel (section)

IMG-8957.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest

OK, so You shaped the deck planks on the model without glueing the previous plank? Hiw did You prevent the previous (several) planks from shifting while working on the next?

Shouldn't there be a treenail on the narrowed end of the plank? Maybe You missed it or are planning on doing it during final installation...

IMG-8935.jpg

Last edited:
Drabina w dół do kambuza

View attachment 289729

W międzyczasie zrobiono też ramę włazu - jadę tutaj po angielsku, czyli ramę montuje się na belkach i karmelach. Frnehc często montował taką ramę na poszyciu pokładu, ale jesteśmy Anglikami

View attachment 289730

Zarówno rama, jak i drabina muszą być dopracowane

I przygotowano dwa dachy przykrywające na dole z zaprawą

View attachment 289725

View attachment 289724

osłony na górze dołu

View attachment 289726

przesunięty na boki, aby otworzyć dół

View attachment 289727

i podnoszone, by moździerz był przygotowany do działania - krok po kroku model dostaje bombowiec (sekcja)

View attachment 289728

Wielkie dzięki za zainteresowanie
Pięknie to wszystko wyglądam.
Pozdrawiam Mirek

It all looks beautiful.
Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so You shaped the deck planks on the model without glueing the previous plank? Hiw did You prevent the previous (several) planks from shifting while working on the next?
I made this small area in principle like I did also at the Le Coureur - unfortunately I did not make any photos here with the Granado, but in the for information some older photo of the lugger

IMG-6560.jpg IMG-6561.jpg

IMG-6579.jpg IMG-6360.jpg

Shouldn't there be a treenail on the narrowed end of the plank? Maybe You missed it or are planning on doing it during final installation...

Many thanks for this comment - in the meantime I made the treenailing also on the waterway plank vut really forgot the one treenail at the end of the first plank.
I will make it soon - Many Thanks for the supervising and comment

It all looks beautiful.
Regards Mirek
Many Thanks for the positive feedback Mirek

Back