HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

The next working steps were the missing smaller beam(s) and the hanging and laying knees stiffening the structure

On the other beams I forgot to make a photo of the fishtail connection of the beams

IMG-8880.jpg

Installation of the shorter beams and the stiffeners of the cell

IMG-8881.jpg

IMG-8882.jpg

IMG-8884.jpg

IMG-8883.jpg

starting with the knees

IMG-8887.jpg

IMG-8888.jpg

IMG-8890.jpg

IMG-8891.jpg

IMG-8889.jpg

Kolejnymi krokami roboczymi były brakujące mniejsze belki oraz wiszące i leżące kolana usztywniające konstrukcję

Na pozostałych belkach zapomniałem zrobić zdjęcie połączenia belek typu fishtail

View attachment 285562

Montaż krótszych belek i usztywnień komórki

View attachment 285563

View attachment 285564

View attachment 285566

View attachment 285565

zaczynając od kolan

View attachment 285567

View attachment 285568

View attachment 285570

View attachment 285571

View attachment 285569
Witaj Uwek
Świetna robota na belkach wygląda super
Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello Uwek
Great job on the beams looks great
Regards Mirek

The next working steps were the missing smaller beam(s) and the hanging and laying knees stiffening the structure

On the other beams I forgot to make a photo of the fishtail connection of the beams

View attachment 285562

Installation of the shorter beams and the stiffeners of the cell

View attachment 285563

View attachment 285564

View attachment 285566

View attachment 285565

starting with the knees

View attachment 285567

View attachment 285568

View attachment 285570

View attachment 285571

View attachment 285569
Great close up photos . Nicely done!

Many thanks for your kind words and all the likes received

also the carlings were installed in the meantime

The left side will not be planked, so I filled also the small gaps at the joints of the knees
the right side will be planked, so need to make this additional work

IMG-8893.jpg

IMG-8894.jpg

IMG-8895.jpg

IMG-8896.jpg

when fixing the carlings with glue, please be aware, that some rest of glue could be pressed out at the notches - usually not visible but......
in the following photo you can see such drops - so please check and remove the glue drops

IMG-8892.jpg

beams with knees and carlings around the mortar pit are prepared

IMG-8897.jpg

and also the third beam with knees etc. .....

IMG-8898.jpg

IMG-8899.jpg

IMG-8900.jpg

IMG-8901.jpg

in the opening in the center a ladder and hatch has to be installed - under this you can recognize the hatch to the coal-hole
left side will get deck-planking - the right side not, so beams knees and carlings will be visible

IMG-8902.jpg

IMG-8903.jpg

IMG-8904.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Fantastic work on this kit Uwe.
The already mentioned nibbling on tge planks, the fish tail fittings on the beams, the wonderful framing. All just perfect.

Btw how did you make the nibbling, just by scroll saw?

Btw how did you make the nibbling, just by scroll saw?
Yes, correct

Beautiful work! What milling tool are you using to make the cuts in the beam and knees, I need to look into getting one, Thankyou Paul
By Hand with different sizes of small chisel- i have a set Made by a russian manufacturer

To all: many thanks for your interest

The next step was building the mortar pit with the 8 bulkheads.
Here CAF is providing some plywood elements in form of an octagon in order to make a template for correct installation of the bulkhead elements.
BTW: The small holes in the center of each element are the prepared installation points for the 8 eyelets, which will be necessary for the tackling of the mortar - when the bulkheads form the octagon pit, there will be no chance to drill the holes from inside

IMG-8915.jpg

First of all, I thought, that it would be better to install the bulkheads directly in situ towards the beams

IMG-8905.jpg

IMG-8907.jpg

But I recognized, that it will be not easy to get all elements vertical - only a small difference in the angle and you will recognized this at the contact joints

so I used the plywood elements and fixed the elements of the bulkhead with leaning agianst the plywood octagon - and realized it - the result is very good and is fitting extremly good between the beams

IMG-8917.jpg

IMG-8918.jpg

important is only to use the glue only at the joints between the bulkheads, otherwise you will have problems to remove the template

IMG-8926.jpg

So based on my experience with this plywood template - USE IT !!!!!

Before finalization of the mortar pit, I should build the mortar by itself. Not that the mortar is later on not fitting into the pit

The basic elements ready for glue - you can see, that I painted here the connecting surfaces with black ecoline colour - I wanted to show the different joints.
In reality there was off course no caulking between the elements

IMG-8303.jpg

IMG-8304.jpg

some more elements added - you can see already the diverse bolts

IMG-8388.jpg

IMG-8389.jpg

IMG-8390.jpg

IMG-8391.jpg

IMG-8392.jpg

Hello, Mon Ami, I love how the timber looks, I mean the sharp edges and presentations with grains. Is this a Chinese boxwood?
Hallo my friend,
Yes - the wood of the complete kit is made by this chinese boxwood - very hard and you can sand it very accurately
It is pleasure to work with - the only "problem" is the fact, that you produce very fine dust with sanding - so the dust is everywhere -> after finishing the model the complete workshop will need a cleaning from the dust.........
But the wood is great

No I know how the workshop by Stefan alias @George I is looking like - and he is building a complete ship of the line model in boxwood

Many Thanks to all for the comments and all the likes received

IMG-8861.jpg

In the meantime the eyebolts were prepared and installed
the four on the top are for the lifting actions of the complete mortar with bed
the four on the sides are for the tackling and turning of the mortar
the wooden triangle is the support for a 45° angle of the muzzle - due to the fact, that this was originally made out of iron I decided to remove the inner parts

IMG-8396.jpg

IMG-8398.jpg

and painted the "iron" support black

IMG-8399.jpg

these are the rest of the iron parts, with cap square, the chain with retaining gib

IMG-8440.jpg

IMG-8439.jpg

Tomorrow I will show you the result blackened and installed

Witaj
Moździerz i detale wyglądają pięknie. Czekam na poczernienie.
Pozdrawiam Mirek

Welcome
The mortar and details look beautiful. Waiting for blackening.
Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks to all for the comments and all the likes received

View attachment 287674

In the meantime the eyebolts were prepared and installed
the four on the top are for the lifting actions of the complete mortar with bed
the four on the sides are for the tackling and turning of the mortar
the wooden triangle is the support for a 45° angle of the muzzle - due to the fact, that this was originally made out of iron I decided to remove the inner parts

View attachment 287669

View attachment 287670

and painted the "iron" support black

View attachment 287671

these are the rest of the iron parts, with cap square, the chain with retaining gib

View attachment 287673

View attachment 287672

Tomorrow I will show you the result blackened and installed
When you guys produce quality like this it is like.......I’m never going to post a picture of my build ever again....! Truely just magnificent.Redface

Hallo friends,
many thanks for your comments and the Likes received - I will show the blackened mortar in short time

But for now, I would like to show you a photo of the full hull CAF model of the HMS GRANADO actual shown in the building log by @Adiefenbach where I marked the area of the section model, so you can get a good feeling where we are in the vessel

DSCF1138.jpg

Enjoy and take a look, and if you are building either the section model or the full hull model, please start a building log - it would be very interesting to see the work of others, in order to help and assist each other

Ciao amici,
grazie mille per i tuoi commenti e i Mi piace ricevuti - Ti mostrerò la malta annerita in breve tempo

Ma per ora, vorrei mostrarvi una foto del modello CAF a scafo completo dell'HMS GRANADO attuale mostrato nel registro di costruzione di @Adiefenbach dove ho segnato l'area del modello della sezione, così puoi avere una buona sensazione di dove siamo nella nave

[ALLEGARE=completo]287857[/ALLEGARE]

Divertiti e dai un'occhiata, e se stai costruendo il modello di sezione o il modello di scafo completo, per favore avvia un registro di costruzione: sarebbe molto interessante vedere il lavoro degli altri, al fine di aiutarsi e aiutarsi a vicenda

Buongiorno, mi dispiace, non vedo le coperture del canale dell'acqua sotto la chiglia. Come mai?

DSCF1138.jpg

IMG-8642.jpg

Last edited:
Back