HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Hallo friends,
first of all many thanks to all your comments and also the likes received
also I would like to wish you all ALL the BEST for 2022

During the christmas holidays I was rarely in the forum, better had not so much time to post any updates of my building log.

Starting with the works on the bomb racks under the mortar

Here the principle structure is shown - three strong base beams with notches for the six pillars
IMG-8592.jpg

this three structures are based on the strong stiffening riders

IMG-8642.jpg

To compare the height with a figurine, a french supervisor sent to the british shipyard by Jean Boudriot ;)

IMG-8643.jpg

Dry fitted mortar room beams - on top of these the mortar will be based

IMG-8780.jpg

everything is fitting well - only some smaller adjustments necessary

IMG-8781.jpg

starting to assemble the vertical timbers where the doors for the bomb shell room will be fixed

IMG-8782.jpg

The side wall timbering fixed

IMG-8783.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest

Awesome joinery! Everything is fitting so tight, are you using files etc. by hand or are you using a mill/machinery? Either way - very nice!

Very nice work Uwe. I am unfamiliar with this vessel's armament.How much did the balls weigh? I ask because the arrangement goes against all modern HSE manual handling guidelinesROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Awesome joinery! Everything is fitting so tight, are you using files etc. by hand or are you using a mill/machinery? Either way - very nice!
Hallo,
many thanks for your interest in my small project.
For these works I am not using the mill, just my different needle files (with fine grid) I have. The big advantage is here the very hard type of timber, which has a similar behaviour like boxwood - very hard with a very fine grain, so you can sand the timber very accurate with sharp and accurate edges - sanding takes longer, but I love to work with this sort of wood

Very nice work Uwe. I am unfamiliar with this vessel's armament.How much did the balls weigh? I ask because the arrangement goes against all modern HSE manual handling guidelinesROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hallo Nigel,
also many thanks for your interest.
The balls were no balls, but shells, so maybe "lighter" than expected.
In the evening I will make some photos from my library and try to find the information about wheight and sizes, types etc of the shells they used in the french and british navy - interesting question.......

Mortars were the only kind of naval armament to fire explosive shells rather than solid shot until the invention of the Paixhans gun. Since it was considered dangerous to have large stocks of shells on board the ships that were firing them, and because the reinforced mortar platforms occupied so much space below decks, bomb vessels were usually accompanied by a tender to carry ammunition as well as the ordnance officers in charge of firing the mortars. However, as naval warfare became more advanced, bomb ships were also accompanied by frigates to protect them from direct assault by faster, smaller vessels.

from wikipedia

Uwe I have learnt something new.

The thing that stands out though is the 32lb shell is around 6.5 inches in diameter.The large Mortar on Granado has a caliber of 13 inches so the shell must be pretty heavy??

Regards

Nigel

I was now also more interested in these type of guns and checked the information Peter Goodwin is giving in his Anatomy book about the HMS Granado

The Bomb Vessel GRANADO (Anatomy of the Ship) by Peter Goodwin

Here we can find f.e. the weight of these 10 inch and also the bigger 13 inch shells..... unbelievable

10 inch mortar - the shell weight when empty was 92 lb (imperial pounds) plus the shell charge of 4 lb 5oz
-> in total 96 lb wich means appr. 36kg (with 0,373 kg/lb (Troy) or 45 kg (with 0,453 kg/lb)

13 inch mortar - the shell weight when empty was 197 lb (imperial pounds) plus the shell charge of 10 lb 4oz
-> in total 207 lb wich means appr. 77kg (with 0,373 kg/lb (Troy) or 94 kg (with 0,453 kg/lb)

Maybe somebody knows better or can clarify the correct convertion between lb and kg ?!?

The firing range with 45° was maximum 4.100 yards - which means 3.750 meters !!!!!

Very interesting to read, especially also the huge preparation works for the firing - very dangerous

IMG-8857.jpg

IMG-8858.jpg

IMG-8856.jpg

IMG-8859.jpg

IMG-8860.jpg

IMG-8861.jpg

IMG-8862.jpg

I highly recommend all modelers building the section model or the full hull model to get a copy of this book

I was now also more interested in these type of guns and checked the information Peter Goodwin is giving in his Anatomy book about the HMS Granado

The Bomb Vessel GRANADO (Anatomy of the Ship) by Peter Goodwin

Here we can find f.e. the weight of these 10 inch and also the bigger 13 inch shells..... unbelievable

10 inch mortar - the shell weight when empty was 92 lb (imperial pounds) plus the shell charge of 4 lb 5oz
-> in total 96 lb wich means appr. 36kg (with 0,373 kg/lb (Troy) or 45 kg (with 0,453 kg/lb)

13 inch mortar - the shell weight when empty was 197 lb (imperial pounds) plus the shell charge of 10 lb 4oz
-> in total 207 lb wich means appr. 77kg (with 0,373 kg/lb (Troy) or 94 kg (with 0,453 kg/lb)

Maybe somebody knows better or can clarify the correct convertion between lb and kg ?!?

The firing range with 45° was maximum 4.100 yards - which means 3.750 meters !!!!!

Very interesting to read, especially also the huge preparation works for the firing - very dangerous

View attachment 282141

View attachment 282142

View attachment 282140

View attachment 282143

View attachment 282144

View attachment 282145

View attachment 282146

I highly recommend all modelers building the section model or the full hull model to get a copy of this book
Brilliant- thanks for posting this.

Hallo friends,
first of all many thanks to all your comments and also the likes received
also I would like to wish you all ALL the BEST for 2022

During the christmas holidays I was rarely in the forum, better had not so much time to post any updates of my building log.

Starting with the works on the bomb racks under the mortar

Here the principle structure is shown - three strong base beams with notches for the six pillars
View attachment 281782

this three structures are based on the strong stiffening riders

View attachment 281783

To compare the height with a figurine, a french supervisor sent to the british shipyard by Jean Boudriot ;)

View attachment 281784

Dry fitted mortar room beams - on top of these the mortar will be based

View attachment 281785

everything is fitting well - only some smaller adjustments necessary

View attachment 281786

starting to assemble the vertical timbers where the doors for the bomb shell room will be fixed

View attachment 281787

The side wall timbering fixed

View attachment 281788

Many Thanks for your interest
It is so good to look at what can be achieved in this hobby. Excellent

Uwe this is indeed very interesting. What Goodwin does not mention is how these shells were handled.197lb is a lot of weight to manhandle and the shells all have lifting lugs on them.

I am thinking is that was some form of temporary hoisting system used? This would be an interesting feature to incorporate in a model if the information can be found

Regards

Nigel

Hallo friends,
many thanks for your kind words and likes
I am thinking is that was some form of temporary hoisting system used? This would be an interesting feature to incorporate in a model if the information can be found
Hallo Nigel,
good idea - I will also check this publication by Jean Boudriot describing the armaments in the french Navy and maybe some other books - good idea
or here

Showing further progress on the HMS Granado kit from CAF

The photos uploaded in post #81 are showing the shell box still dry fitted without treatment of the timber and also without the shell balls

Now step by step the racks are fixed and the timber treated, the shells are blackened and also fixed into the racks.
Also the floor planking was done

IMG-8784.jpg

IMG-8785.jpg

IMG-8787.jpg

IMG-8786.jpg

IMG-8789.jpg

IMG-8790.jpg

IMG-8791.jpg

IMG-8788.jpg

Back