HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

and the final timbers of the stern structure

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

it is really very helpful to have such a jig - so all timbers are fixed to the correct location and angle

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest, the received comments and remarks and all the likes received -- much appreciated

to be continued.....

i ostatnie belki konstrukcji rufy

View attachment 312668

View attachment 312669

naprawdę bardzo pomocne jest posiadanie takiego przyrządu - więc wszystkie belki są przymocowane we właściwym miejscu i pod odpowiednim kątem

View attachment 312670

View attachment 312671

View attachment 312672

View attachment 312673

Wielkie dzięki za zainteresowanie, otrzymane komentarze i uwagi oraz wszystkie otrzymane polubienia - bardzo cenne

ciąg dalszy nastąpi.....
Pięknie pięknie i tyle Pozdrawiam Mirek

Beautifully beautiful and that's it. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all many thanks to all for the kind words and comments

Hi Uwek, will you split the ship using Tom's design, or cut it straight or just do nothing at all.

Daniel
Hallo Daniel,
I was in the beginning of preparing the frames checking the / my possibilities to use the way the kit is prepared. But I came to the conclusion for me, that the result will be not satisfying myself. Therefore I decided to prepare all the frames in the conventional way and cut / split the hull later on, I guess directly under the wales.
Somehow in the way it was done by @Maarten on his model. But to make here a final decision I have to wait to get also part III of the kit, so I am able to complete the complete deck structure in order to get it riggid / stiff as possible with all knees, carlings and beams.
The execution of the interior, walls and the structure of the mortars has to wait until the deck is cut away...... this is the actual plan...... let us see
but definitely in moment I plan to make my model similar to the NMM-model

l5780_001.jpg l5780_002.jpg

l5780_003.jpg l5780_004.jpg

Granado_bomb_vessel_model.jpg

First of all many thanks to all for the kind words and comments

Hallo Daniel,
I was in the beginning of preparing the frames checking the / my possibilities to use the way the kit is prepared. But I came to the conclusion for me, that the result will be not satisfying myself. Therefore I decided to prepare all the frames in the conventional way and cut / split the hull later on, I guess directly under the wales.
Somehow in the way it was done by @Maarten on his model. But to make here a final decision I have to wait to get also part III of the kit, so I am able to complete the complete deck structure in order to get it riggid / stiff as possible with all knees, carlings and beams.
The execution of the interior, walls and the structure of the mortars has to wait until the deck is cut away...... this is the actual plan...... let us see
but definitely in moment I plan to make my model similar to the NMM-model

View attachment 312799 View attachment 312800

View attachment 312801 View attachment 312802

View attachment 312798
Good evening Uwe. Spent some time catching up here. I didn’t want to send a hundred likes. Totally out of my league- I echo all the compliments you have deserved. Brilliant. Cheers Grant

Hi Uwek,
Closely following your log - cant wait to start after the Bismarck is completed. I will plank fully one side and have exposed frames on the other - no split hull although its tempting. I will have to substitute the lamintated keel parts which shouldnt be to much work. Look forward to seeing your progress continue.

Starting with section II of the kit

One of the first working steps are preparing of the temporary templates which are necessary / hepful also for the correct levels of the deck clamps, which have to be installed in one of the next steps

All together four of these templates have to be prepared - here template 1 and 2 finished and parts of 3 on the right side

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

all four templates prepared

IMG_0271.jpg

on each side you can see the notches for the correct height of the deck clamps

IMG_0272.jpg

the six square holes in the center part will be used later on for the correct height of the mortar structure beams

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

A very clever idea - so this time no need to use the laser to mark the heights ......

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

One of the first working steps are preparing of the temporary templates which are necessary / hepful also for the correct levels of the deck clamps, which have to be installed in one of the next steps

All together four of these templates have to be prepared - here template 1 and 2 finished and parts of 3 on the right side

View attachment 313016

View attachment 313017

View attachment 313018

View attachment 313019

the six square holes in the center part will be used later on for the correct height of the mortar structure beams

View attachment 313021

View attachment 313020

A very clever idea - so this time no need to use the laser to mark the heights ......

Very interesting construction, the center piece with the long holes can be adjusted and if so, for what purpose.

9D1367FF-A3DB-4614-9E5B-F83942FEB822.jpeg

Very interesting construction, the center piece with the long holes can be adjusted and if so, for what purpose.
Without this movable center part it would be hard to install the templates inside the hull without damaging the template

These templates are to be installed at the gunports
The upper width if the hull is smaller than on the height of the waterline

IMG_0289.jpg

red markings are the width at the gunports - orange the width where the beam clamps have to be installed

at template 1 I marked the movements with arrows

1) bringing the template inside the hull without the middle part, until it is laying on top of the sills of the gunports - with a reduced width of the template
2) when it is at the correct height inside the hull move both sideparts until they have contact with the frame (green arrows)
3) the last will be pushing down the center part so you have rigged and stiff template fitting well inside the frame
4) to remove the template you have to remove first the center part - otherwise it is not possible

IMG_0269.jpg

Without this movable center part it would be hard to install the templates inside the hull without damaging the template

These templates are to be installed at the gunports
The upper width if the hull is smaller than on the height of the waterline

View attachment 313026

red markings are the width at the gunports - orange the width where the beam clamps have to be installed

at template 1 I marked the movements with arrows

1) bringing the template inside the hull without the middle part, until it is laying on top of the sills of the gunports - with a reduced width of the template
2) when it is at the correct height inside the hull move both sideparts until they have contact with the frame (green arrows)
3) the last will be pushing down the center part so you have rigged and stiff template fitting well inside the frame
4) to remove the template you have to remove first the center part - otherwise it is not possible

View attachment 313027

Uwek, you are really making our life easier when the time will come to assemble this kit. All these details .... Thank you !!!

Daniel

View attachment 313016

View attachment 313017

View attachment 313018

View attachment 313019

View attachment 313021

View attachment 313020

Wow, a very interesting design and approach to achieving consistent results for modelers. Thanks for sharing Uwe.

In order to make the next working steps, it was time to fianly fix the keelson on the frames.
Some small adjustments at the hook scarf joints, but al together the elements of the keeson fitted very good
- I used the standard copper bolts to "fix" the keelson with the frames, and tried to follow the technically correct bolting pattern shown in deverse books like Goodwin and Lavery

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Many Thanks for you kind interest in my building log - happy to get comments (also critics, negative and positive)

to be continued .....

Back