HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Hi Uwek,
Just a question about this magnificent model with all the nails used, were they brass or copper?
Also another question. each nail, a hole was drilled?
Gary
Many Thanks for your interest in my work
On this model I am not using any brass nails or wire for imitating bolts - all are copper (the round bolts) or iron (shoe nails for the square bolts)
As a principle I am pre-drilling the holes - only with pre-drilling there are no (often negative) surprises of the result

Many Thanks for all the positive and nice comments and replies and off course also for all the received likes and the given interest in my building log

coming back to CLOU, maybe interesting especially for @GaryA

before and after comparison

IMG_4780.jpg

on a close sideview we can see slightly the bolts in the frame
- if you know, that these bolts are there you can find and see them
- if you do not know about them it is hard to recognize
- if you ask, if it is worth to make these (around 50 per frame - 2.750 all together)) ?
-> Everybody has to decide

IMG_4783.jpg

How the model would look like "uncut"

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my log .... to be continued .....

Many Thanks for all the positive and nice comments and replies and off course also for all the received likes and the given interest in my building log

View attachment 451819

- if you ask, if it is worth to make these (around 50 per frame - 2.750 all together)) ?

View attachment 451820

View attachment 451823

View attachment 451824

View attachment 451828

View attachment 451821

View attachment 451822

View attachment 451825

View attachment 451826

View attachment 451827

Hi Uwek the Clou works exactly the same as the product in Australia I use - apply and the tiny grains stiffen, making it easier to sand the wood.
To me, I think it is imperative to have that nice clean finish on the wood. I think it enhances the build.
Just another question I see you mentioned copper nails. Do you buy them or make them?

View attachment 451819

View attachment 451820

View attachment 451823

View attachment 451824

View attachment 451828

View attachment 451821

View attachment 451822

View attachment 451825

View attachment 451826

View attachment 451827

The Clou shows the wood grain and tone very nice, Uwe. And always a pleasure to see the hull split and fit together.
Regards, Peter

Exceptional work Uwe, your build is a real beauty.
The Clou certainly enhances the look of the wood. It’s a pity it is not available in Canada :(.
Hi Roger. There must be a similar product available in Canada.
I think most large hardware stores would have a brand nearly the same as Clou. Here in Australia, we have a very similar product extremely good as a quick drying all-round sanding sealer.
In any cold climate, this product would be extremely beneficial for a wood modeler.
Unfortunately, this product is not worldwide availability, just in Australia.
Maybe Uwek can give the composition of Clou as Feast Watson's brand here in Australia is >60% Hydrocarbon Solvent - The drying agent and 1-10%Propylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether. I would, at a guess, say Clou is very similar to that, maybe more drying agent.
Hope this helps mate.

Exceptional work Uwe, your build is a real beauty.
The Clou certainly enhances the look of the wood. It’s a pity it is not available in Canada :(.
Hi Roger. There must be a similar product available in Canada.
I think most large hardware stores would have a brand nearly the same as Clou. Here in Australia, we have a very similar product extremely good as a quick drying all-round sanding sealer.
In any cold climate, this product would be extremely beneficial for a wood modeler.
Unfortunately, this product is not worldwide availability, just in Australia.
Maybe Uwek can give the composition of Clou as Feast Watson's brand here in Australia is >60% Hydrocarbon Solvent - The drying agent and 1-10%Propylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether. I would, at a guess, say Clou is very similar to that, maybe more drying agent.
Hope this helps mate.
You can use shellac instead. Clou is an chemical replacement for shellac that was used hundreds of years. It does the same thing and is natural. Clou is ofcourse improved, but if it's not available, the old used shellac is a good replacement.
Shellac (hope I write it correctly in English) is made of bugs, and is availlable in liquid form or as flakes. These you need to mix with pure alcohol. Just Google or YouTube and you find a how too..

Edit: when you look to MICHELE PADOAN buildlogs, he uses shellac too.

Last edited:
Hello Uwe, I am impressed, I can only agree with Paul and the others.

Hello Roger, I can only agree with Stephan about the shellac, there is a similar product to the Clou that is made by Bondex, but I don't know if this product is available in Canada.

IMG_1687.jpeg

View attachment 451819

View attachment 451820

View attachment 451823

View attachment 451824

View attachment 451828

View attachment 451821

View attachment 451822

View attachment 451825

View attachment 451826

View attachment 451827

Good morning Uwek. Wow, just wow. Cheers Grant

View attachment 451819

View attachment 451820

View attachment 451823

View attachment 451824

View attachment 451828

View attachment 451821

View attachment 451822

View attachment 451825

View attachment 451826

View attachment 451827

my dear friend
those pictures doing great honors to your beautiful work and accurately attitude that you have in the process
it's a masterpiece, you can be proud on yourself :)

You can use shellac instead. Clou is an chemical replacement for shellac that was used hundreds of years. It does the same thing and is natural. Clou is ofcourse improved, but if it's not available, the old used shellac is a good replacement.
Shellac (hope I write it correctly in English) is made of bugs, and is availlable in liquid form or as flakes. These you need to mix with pure alcohol. Just Google or YouTube and you find a how too..

Edit: when you look to MICHELE PADOAN buildlogs, he uses shellac too.
Shellac?? Please explain why that is better, Mate. quite surprised a finishing product is better than Clou or what I suggest. Shellac to me blocks up the sanding properties but everyone to their own I guess. I assure you there is a difference.

Shellac?? Please explain why that is better, Mate. quite surprised a finishing product is better than Clou or what I suggest. Shellac to me blocks up the sanding properties but everyone to their own I guess. I assure you there is a difference.

Hello Gary, as you mentioned, it's about the finish and you can use anything here. Clou is not a typical finish product but simply a primer for further work with other paints. We like to use it as a final product, but what Stephan meant is that you have several options here. What you use to seal the surface is up to each and every one of us.

Thanks Tobias
Shellac is not only a finishing product. It seals the wood and hardens the surface. So it can be used to ad a layer and do a final sanding to make the surface smooth, that is how a french polish works to. And what CLou does.
Michele Padoan uses it to seal the wood before he uses bitumen to make an older look. Without the shellac the wood will turn complete black.

Many Many Thanks for all the comments, replies and likes recieved

some body asked some time ago, that it is time to get rid off the sanding blocks -> so here you can find a first try - and it is looking not so bad

A brass tube inside a brass tube - the inner one is located in a drilled hole inside the frame - the outer tube is keeping the distance

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

all together only three tubes

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

It is "A" solution - maybe the final one .....

many thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

IMG_4798.jpg

Many Many Thanks for all the comments, replies and likes recieved

some body asked some time ago, that it is time to get rid off the sanding blocks -> so here you can find a first try - and it is looking not so bad

A brass tube inside a brass tube - the inner one is located in a drilled hole inside the frame - the outer tube is keeping the distance

View attachment 452600

View attachment 452595

View attachment 452598

all together only three tubes

View attachment 452592

View attachment 452597

View attachment 452601

View attachment 452602

View attachment 452603

It is "A" solution - maybe the final one .....

many thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

View attachment 452599
That is looking really good. A beautiful model, very well made. Nice one Ewe!!

Back