HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

I think he is asking about where #55 is on your C7/1 image, but I could be wrong too. :)
I'm looking at using some of the 1.5x5mm strips provided to fill that area, on the "completed" side of the model, but to be honest, I'm not sure they will be visible there, and I don't want more closure on the "open" side. Not that what I do or don't do will change Uwe's fabulous build - in which I cannot see those areas, so there you go!

I think he is asking about where #55 is on your C7/1 image, but I could be wrong too. :)
Yes understood - Goodwin name this #55 "Lower strake of upper deck beam shelf"

IMG_1147.jpg

It is a part of the "thick stuff" - it is this

IMG_0747.jpg IMG_1216.jpg

What I wanted to say, that there is definitely a smaller gap shown, where no inner planking or strakes are installed and the frames are visible

To add a second strake under the upper strake #56 you would need additional thick material (I think these are 3 mm thick)
Yes - it would be more accurate compared to the Goodwin drawing to add a second strake!
But - it would the height of the second lower strake would be much smaller than of the upper strake of the model - see especially this strake towards the stern

IMG_0741.jpg

At the end a personal decision - on my model - caused of the cut - not really visible (or better obvious)

Where it would be correct to close maybe the inner planking around the bread room and the powder room with some normal inner planking

Do you plan on using the decals provided for this area? And do you know where the additional "scroll" decals would go? I've not seen them documented.
Honestly I am not sure, if I will use these decals - not because of the quality - only because of the personal taste

IMG_0635a.jpg

1) Bulkhead
Goodwin is showing two versions - because nobody knows exactly how the bulkhead was decorated

IMG_1894.jpg IMG_1895.jpg

I prepared the bulkhead somehow likea combination of both versions

IMG_4849.jpg

but did not painted it red , like shown in the museum model

Screenshot 2022-12-01 164037.png

I think I will not use them, because each board is visible and I have no smooth surface . and in addition they would be not very visible - No

The other scroll decals are planned for the bow

IMG_3485.jpg IMG_3484.aaa.jpg

I like this blue paint here (I think I will paint it also like on the museum model

large (4)1.jpg IMG_41851a.jpg

installed you can see these decals at the CAF-model made by Tom

QQ图片20220408012604.jpg

The next working step was the four movable covers over the mortars

IMG_5053.jpg

one pair is fixed

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

the small bulkheads where the covers are sliding are only dry fitted - only a first check - and they will stay removable also later on

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log

View attachment 455481

one pair is fixed

View attachment 455482

View attachment 455483

View attachment 455484

View attachment 455485

the small bulkheads where the covers are sliding are only dry fitted - only a first check - and they will stay removable also later on

View attachment 455488

View attachment 455486

View attachment 455487

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log
Beautiful covers, Uwe. With the nicely connecting planks in the arch.
Regards, Peter

I suppose the covers, as well as the supports for same on either side of the mortars, were all completely removed and placed elsewhere on the deck for firing? That seems like a lot of work and clutter during critical loading fand firing of the mortars. Of course, the fore 13" mortar could be fire straight ahead, if the ship's bearing was correct, without pivoting, but otherwise...

Many Thanks to @pianoforte , @RogerD , @dockattner , @Peter Voogt , @Jimsky , @shota70 and @Signet for your kind comments and all the likes received

The date of our meeting in Evian is coming fast, so I need all motivations to keep working on the model

I wonder if the nails will be implemented for the covers, but they look really nice without them.
I was thinking about immitationg nails on these covers and also the bulkheads etc. - I am still not sure, but if yes, than only the small dotts like I do often at the internal walls. In my opinion such elements were only nailed and not treenailed or bolted
The covers still need some final sanding and at the end they have to be painted red.

I suppose the covers, as well as the supports for same on either side of the mortars, were all completely removed and placed elsewhere on the deck for firing? That seems like a lot of work and clutter during critical loading fand firing of the mortars. Of course, the fore 13" mortar could be fire straight ahead, if the ship's bearing was correct, without pivoting, but otherwise...
In one of the books I was reading something about the procedures which were necessary that such a mortar is ready for a bombing.
Defintely it was not a fast activity in a hurry!
In order to place the ship at the correct location for firing the bombs they had to install the anchors at a correct place - minimum two or maybe up to four anchors had to be placed. This will take already some hours of work.
Than the mortars - these covers were heavy and I am not sure that the seamen were able to lift them by hand - they are 2m *2m -> I calculated appr. 0,35 m³ wood - when the cover was made by oak it would weigh appr. 200kg - with some nails plus iron rings let us talk about 250kg

So I guess they had to handle these covers by lifting tackles with their spars.

IMG_18161.jpg IMG_22011.jpg

A bombardement lasted several weeks or also months, so I think they also stored these covers and all other stuff they did not need on the storeship which was also responsible for transporting the additional shells, the powder etc.
I think they dismantled these parts and brought them to the other ship....... I will try to find the book in which the procedure is described..... somewhere it is written

In one of the books I was reading something about the procedures which were necessary that such a mortar is ready for a bombing.
Defintely it was not a fast activity in a hurry!
In order to place the ship at the correct location for firing the bombs they had to install the anchors at a correct place - minimum two or maybe up to four anchors had to be placed. This will take already some hours of work.
Than the mortars - these covers were heavy and I am not sure that the seamen were able to lift them by hand - they are 2m *2m -> I calculated appr. 0,35 m³ wood - when the cover was made by oak it would weigh appr. 200kg - with some nails plus iron rings let us talk about 250kg

So I guess they had to handle these covers by lifting tackles with their spars.

View attachment 455621 View attachment 455622

A bombardement lasted several weeks or also months, so I think they also stored these covers and all other stuff they did not need on the storeship which was also responsible for transporting the additional shells, the powder etc.
I think they dismantled these parts and brought them to the other ship....... I will try to find the book in which the procedure is described..... somewhere it is written
Too bad your model doesn't have a (lower) mast. A cover in a lifted position would give it a nice dynamic look.
Regards, Peter

Back