HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

And, sorry, another one, the side walls of the covers should not have the front wood on top, because of moisture, optimal would be a connection like AOTS shows, in between "better" would be if the deck planks cover the side walls.

1719392191804.png

I hope I am not too picky :-P It's just respect for this great build :)
Dirk

In one of the books I was reading something about the procedures which were necessary that such a mortar is ready for a bombing.
Defintely it was not a fast activity in a hurry!
In order to place the ship at the correct location for firing the bombs they had to install the anchors at a correct place - minimum two or maybe up to four anchors had to be placed. This will take already some hours of work.
Maybe this was done more slowly to give the chance for the city to be bombarded to surrender. It would be quite intimidating seeing a number of bomb vessels setting up to send "death from above".
Than the mortars - these covers were heavy and I am not sure that the seamen were able to lift them by hand - they are 2m *2m -> I calculated appr. 0,35 m³ wood - when the cover was made by oak it would weigh appr. 200kg - with some nails plus iron rings let us talk about 250kg

So I guess they had to handle these covers by lifting tackles with their spars.
I'm sure that is the case. At least one Granado model was portrayed this way:
1719412068776.png

But then our masts are a bit short for that. A "sky hook" perhaps? ;)

Hi Uwe,

the inner walls of the covers are afaik not correct. On my cross section I had to remove them later as the mortar does not fit. Also AOTS is not showing the walls there.

View attachment 455628

Great build so far!!

Dirk
Hallo Dirk,
many thanks for the comment refering the wall of the cover

but ....

1) on the model cover you need something to keep the form of the roof-cover so a second wall is helpfull
2) also the real cover needed something in which the nails of the cover roof boards were nailed - otherwise there would be no riggid structure
=> I am pretty sure that here Goodwin did not make his drawing correct - from pure technical point of view there was something necessary like this one

cover1.png cover2.png

On my photos in my post I showed a still unfinished status, I removed the height slightly, just as so much like necessary to fit over the installed mortar

On my own section model you can see, that I moved the wall more to the inside, so that it is not visible

IMG-8954.jpg IMG-9026.jpg

On this actual model I will see how I make it final

And, sorry, another one, the side walls of the covers should not have the front wood on top, because of moisture, optimal would be a connection like AOTS shows, in between "better" would be if the deck planks cover the side walls.

View attachment 455629

I hope I am not too picky :p It's just respect for this great build :)
Dirk
Here also I am pretty sure that Goodwin was wrong with this sketch

to keep water away the only way would be to move the sliding notch (red) to the outer edge - > only with this the mortar bed would be covered really

1719392191804.png

I found the contemporary drawing where the Goodwin solution is shown

j1444.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-26 111951.png

but from technical point of view this has a lot of negative impacts

several drawings and sketches are showing it different

Screenshot 2024-06-26 110931.png

and also all available contemporary models are showing the covers and the sliding bulkhead different

Screenshot 2024-06-26 111013.png

Screenshot 2024-06-26 111044.png

l0277_001.jpg

also the well known model

Granado_bomb_vessel_modela.jpg

Maybe this was done more slowly to give the chance for the city to be bombarded to surrender. It would be quite intimidating seeing a number of bomb vessels setting up to send "death from above".

I'm sure that is the case. At least one Granado model was portrayed this way:
View attachment 455741

But then our masts are a bit short for that. A "sky hook" perhaps? ;)
This is a great idea with the szene of lifting the cover - it is looking like a Jotika / Caldercraft model of the Granado - am I correct?

I doubt there would be room below deck. Certainly not for the large sliding covers. Yet they would severely limit mobility if stored on deck. I think they would be transferred a tender vessel prior to bombardment, as was a lot of other items, back and forth.
That does, however, create a problem on how best to display the model. The covers, even if slid back, tend to obscure mortar detail, the inner sliding structure prevents the mortar from moving, etc. It's a shame not to show these cover structure details, yet also a shame not to show the mortars ready to use.

That does, however, create a problem on how best to display the model. The covers, even if slid back, tend to obscure mortar detail, the inner sliding structure prevents the mortar from moving, etc. It's a shame not to show these cover structure details, yet also a shame not to show the mortars ready to use.
I assume Uwe has already given this some thougts, but a combination of one mortar completely ready, and the other one partly slid open might be nice to show, and the removed parts in a tender vessel next to the ship might make it a complete display.

I doubt there would be room below deck. Certainly not for the large sliding covers. Yet they would severely limit mobility if stored on deck. I think they would be transferred a tender vessel prior to bombardment, as was a lot of other items, back and forth.
I see your point now, but that also has to be quite a large vessel to store those items in, i think

Hallo my friends,
Many thanks for all your interest and the nice and interesting comments made.
all the parts will be removable and changeable, so an arrangement like mentioned by @Keef will be possible and I guess would be interesting to see

A little bit like shown on the arrangement of the Leightley model - > the photographer of the museum model also changed the mortar arrangement between the photos

l5780_003a.jpg

Back