HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Catching up on Your build as well.
This is turning out to be a very, very cool model. In every aspect, the subject, the way to present it and the overall neat build.
And those deck planks really are just beautiful!
And respect for samurai-chopping through that hull... reminds me of Maartens Alert. You 2 are crazy :eek::eek:

Uwe, great job.
Still, consider changing the eyebolts. Not against the background of the same ones near the gun; on the cover they do not seem natural
View attachment 457085
For the eyebolts for lifting the mortars I used either stronger (diameter of wire) and also bigger (diameter of eye) ones

Nevertheless I agree, that the eyebolts used on the small wooden board covers have to big diamter compared to the rings - and I think, that I will change them later on

especially also visible at Goodwins sketch #E10/1

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

Need Info:
I have a question and hope that somebody can answer this - I need the information, so that I can order some aftermarket blocks

IMG_5383.jpg

For the gun tackles of the small 4-pounder guns is written

3 or 4 inch single blocks

Due to the fact, that 4 inches are only 10 cm is this the diameter of the wheel / sheave?
What would be the correct "size" (length) of the block?
Multiplied by 2,5 or so?

What would be the correct rope size?

Or is there any information available, which size of blocks and ropes were used for the different guns sizes (or even maybe mortars) ?
Like scantlings for the timber.....

In the attachment is an Excell file with the info out of Mondfeld. 4" is the measurement of the diameter of the sheave. In the Excell file the letter F.
Hope it will help you.

EDIT... in your case:
in mm. 10,12 cm for the sheave means a sheave hole with a diameter of 2,75 cm. and a rope with a diameter of 2,35 mm.
The total length of the block is 22 cm (A)

Attachments

Last edited:
Many Thanks for this info and the table

So if the 3 or 4 in means the diameter of the sheave (which is making sense) this would mean

3 inch = 7,6 cm -> block of 16,4cm length and a rope of 1,75cm dia
-> in 1:48: 3,5mm and 0,4mm rope

4 inch = 10,2 cm -> block of 22cm length and a rope of 2,35cm dia
-> in 1:48: 4,5mm and 0,5mm rope

Yes, and on a model in scale. Always down size the measurements. For a 0,5 mm. rope a 4 mm. block and for a 0,4 mm. rope a 3 mm. block. This was my experience with the overall look. Or in other words, that looks better. In the drawing you show they down size it too

Many Thanks for this info and the table

So if the 3 or 4 in means the diameter of the sheave (which is making sense) this would mean

3 inch = 7,6 cm -> block of 16,4cm length and a rope of 1,75cm dia
-> in 1:48: 3,5mm and 0,4mm rope

4 inch = 10,2 cm -> block of 22cm length and a rope of 2,35cm dia
-> in 1:48: 4,5mm and 0,5mm rope
So I found the sizes of the tackles - and the breeching rope?
Nothing is written here in Goodwins book - like mentioned these were only 4pdr guns

Last edited:
another detail has to be clarified - the anchor cable(s) and the messenger cable

What is written by Goodwin?

cable1.jpg

cable1.jpg cable2.jpg

Anchors and their location

2 * bower anchor with 20 cwt = 1,02 tons - secured all times to the cable - suspended from its cathead and lashed to the side
1 * bower / sheet anchor with 18 cwt = 0,90 tons - free of its cable - lashed abaft starboard bower
1 * stream anchor with 7 1/2 cwt = 0,38 tons - free of its cable - stored under deck
1 * ketch anchor with 3 1/2 cwt = 0,18 tons - free of its cable - lashed to spare bower / sheet anchor

Cables

all cables were 120 fathoms long = 219 meter -> in scale 1:48: 4,5 meter

5 * 13in circumference = 33cm => 10,5 cm diameter -> in scale 1:48: 2,2mm
1 * 8in circumference = 20,3cm => 6,4 cm diameter -> in scale 1:48: 1,3mm

I hope, that I made all the interpretations and calculations correctly .....

Personal Comment:
Imagine, that there were 6 cables on board, each with a length of 219 meter - So the small Granado carried 1,3 km cable (in the model it would be 27 meter rope) length with her. More or less all of this was stowed in the hold between the two mortar beds - this area is a little bit longer than 10 meter
And somewhere they had to store also other things like beer and water etc. => on such ships they had not much space

cable 1.jpg

Last edited:
Correct. In that time cables where made in Kent and the ropewalk there was a quarter of a mile long (~220 meter). The longest they could produce in that time from 1600 to 1900. That must be a lot of work, they needed a good pair of shoes.

Parallel to some of these necessary researching I started to work on the pumps.

As mentioned earlier in this building log the HMS Granado had all together four elmtree-pumps. Two for the bilgewater next to the main mast and two for fire-fighting and watering the decks (f.e. during the bombing all decks were watered)

the individual parts

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

Please keep in mind, that here is only the top half of the pumps under construction - the lower halfs are alreay installed in the lower hull segment

IMG_5161.jpg

all four with the handles installed - (on the photo just glued the pins of the handles - you can see the still fluid superglue drops)

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my log .... to be continued .....

As mentioned earlier in this building log the HMS Granado had all together four elmtree-pumps. Two for the bilgewater next to the main mast and two for fire-fighting and watering the decks (f.e. during the bombing all decks were watered)

the individual parts

View attachment 458426

View attachment 458427

Please keep in mind, that here is only the top half of the pumps under construction - the lower halfs are alreay installed in the lower hull segment

View attachment 458428

all four with the handles installed - (on the photo just glued the pins of the handles - you can see the still fluid superglue drops)

View attachment 458429

View attachment 458430

You continue to produce outstanding work !

the individual parts

View attachment 458426

View attachment 458427

View attachment 458428

View attachment 458429

View attachment 458430

Some very nice and useful pumps, Uwe. With nice details.
Regards, Peter

Back