HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

But you need to come up with a better alternative to the sanding blocks, they detract from the model. Alien
you are right and I am working on it ..... means I think about it how to make it - I guess it will be brasstubes somehow similar like the Leightley-model

l5780_004a.jpg

but with three tubes, because I will cut the masts

In my opinion Lightley made a small mistake, because the masts have a small inclination of 2 or 3 percent, so therefore with the height distance the upper part has to be more aft - or it is looking more dynamic .....

l5780_001a.jpg

In the first picture you posted, are those doors right next to the mast? How would you open them?
A good question
we can see on the Lightley model, that the mast has a bigger distance from the doors
I followed here more, or better strict the information given by Goodwin in his drawings - and here the mast food is much closer to the doors or shell storage
I can imagine, that Lightley installed relatively late the mast and the mastfoot, therefore his main mast is not inclined and more or less vertical - which is not really correct

I argue for my model,
that the doors would be able to be opened - The small inclination of the mast is more visible
-> one dead you have to die

IMG_4670a.jpg IMG_4673a.jpg

and to all writting some comments or hitting the like button => Many Many thanks for this and your interest in my building log

some more photos

the pumps and mast stumps

View attachment 447559

View attachment 447560

the two segments to see how it will look like

from the unplanked side

View attachment 447561

View attachment 447562

View attachment 447566

and the planked side

View attachment 447563

View attachment 447564

View attachment 447565

some views from the top down

View attachment 447567

View attachment 447568

View attachment 447569

View attachment 447570

View attachment 447571

and the two halfs next to each other

View attachment 447572

View attachment 447573

View attachment 447574

Many Thanks for your interest ....
Ewe, great pictures of a super build, I can only add my admiration on your achievement

Good morning Uwek. A question for you. I'm learning for my next ship which I plan to do a tad more accurate than my previous. Treenails. British ships during this period, used a combination of wood and metal nailing. My interpretation : the decks and outer hull were wood nails, while much of the interior and bulkwarks were metal. I think the wales are also metal. Do you have any good references I can look at regarding this. I have some French references, however they used different configurations to the British. Cheers Grant

Many Thanks to @pianoforte , @Steef66 , @Mirek , @KurtFink , @Ken , @Corsair and @GrantTyler for your kind words and comments and also for all the likes received - I like it very much to get comments and try to answer all the question, especially if I do know the answer - or to give my try to answer, also and maybe especially when there is some additional research necessary.

Good morning Uwek. A question for you. I'm learning for my next ship which I plan to do a tad more accurate than my previous. Treenails. British ships during this period, used a combination of wood and metal nailing. My interpretation : the decks and outer hull were wood nails, while much of the interior and bulkwarks were metal. I think the wales are also metal. Do you have any good references I can look at regarding this. I have some French references, however they used different configurations to the British. Cheers Grant
Dear Grant,
somehow, the use of wooden treenails, or bolts (circular or rectangle, in iron or copper) on my model(s) is off course somehow my personal taste, but also based on some knowledge from different publications. And this "knowledge" is grown over the years with the different models

My Granado model is following as much as possible the given informations by Peter Goodwin in his Anatomy of Ships series

so let us take a first look here - in some sketches are some iron bolts shown (photos taken from my hard-disc of my PC - there are more in the book)

for the frames and the keelson
IMG-8017.jpg

for the keel
IMG-8021.jpg IMG-8022.jpg

also the mast foots
IMG-8023.jpg IMG-8024.jpg

Bowsprit step
IMG_1124.jpg IMG_1125.jpg

lodging and hanging knees + beam arms connections
IMG_1120.jpg IMG_1121.jpg

I am pretty sure, that there is also something visible or written about using bolts for the wales and / or the inner thick stuff
But I think, that all structural elements with some specific thickness were connected with metal / iron bolts and not with wooden treenails - they can not be made so long

slightly contrary about the construction of frames (especially related to chock connections) is written in Laverys book - here he is writing "bolts and trennals"

IMG-8096.jpg IMG-8097.jpg IMG-8098.jpg

IMG-8099.jpg IMG-8100.jpg IMG-8101.jpg

IMG-8102.jpgIMG-8103.jpg

Hallo Grant,
take also a look at this film (today posted by @Steef66 - once more many thanks) which is making the dimensions visible

BTW: also very interesting to the end of the film is the fixing of the deck planking with iron bolts and the closing of the holes with wooden plugs

A question for you. I'm learning for my next ship which I plan to do a tad more accurate than my previous. Treenails. British ships during this period, used a combination of wood and metal nailing. My interpretation : the decks and outer hull were wood nails, while much of the interior and bulkwarks were metal. I think the wales are also metal. Do you have any good references I can look at regarding this.
Uwe's response should answer your questions.
is written in Laverys book - here he is writing "bolts and trennals

I think this is a typo but I may be wrong... :mad: .. it looks like the last 8 pages are copies of pages from Peter Goodwin's book The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, first published in 1987 rather than from a book by Brian Lavery. For additional information such as the number and size of bolts for each part on each size ship, they are shown in the scantlings in the Establishments of 1719, 1745, and 1750. For later ships similar information can be found in the Shipbuilder's Repository and Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. All of these can be found in the binder book from SeaWatch Books, Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships.

I think this is a typo but I may be wrong... :mad: .. it looks like the last 8 pages are copies of pages from Peter Goodwin's book The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, first published in 1987 rather than from a book by Brian Lavery.
You are Correct ..... it is from this book

I would absolutely agree Uwe, Goodwins book as well as The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War by Lavery are extremely useful for kit builders, kit bashers, as well as scratch builders.
Allan
Yes - definitely helpful - often I mix them up

and the third one very helpful is the Lees

Back