HMS PEGASUS (1776) - Amati - Scale 1:64

I live in New York where you cannot control humidity, and it is so bad. You can glue everything in the evening, and in the morning found it crooked, We have 80% humidity as the norm.
It was a new experience and surprise for me, when the heating season ended and on my first model built here - the paint began to crack from the fact that the planks began to squeeze the glue... I very quickly had to put dehumidifier in the workshop. And wrap the models in plastic bags for the summer, if they do not have a displaycase!

I do Not totally ¡agree with your Planking. I learned for, more than 50 years ago, , when it comes to planking, ,that there are 3 IMPORTANT PLANKS TO BE INSERTED.
1: Just 2 mm below the Main Deck
2: THE second parallel to the KEEL
3: A plank in between for later measuring., and to hold bulkheads at its space.
Then You make 3-4 Planks from upwards down, then the opposite 4 planks from the bottom upwards.
with this system, the planks will meet each other somewhere in the middle of the hull. I am adding a pic of the Norskr Love and Victoria )Vivtotoria before the laser Age)late 60 and the Norske love early 70th- BOTH with a SINGLE PLANKING: some ex. the last one you should try. Dry Bending. IT WORKS and the good thing after being bend it will not go back to its original form

Attachments

• Imagen.jpg
    Imagen.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 253--planking 27.jpg
    253--planking 27.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 370-PLANKING.jpg
    370-PLANKING.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 43
  • AA-03-BENDING WOODS-111 (12).jpg
    AA-03-BENDING WOODS-111 (12).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40
  • AA-03-BENDING WOODS-111 (14).jpg
    AA-03-BENDING WOODS-111 (14).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 39
I do Not totally ¡agree with your Planking. I learned for, more than 50 years ago, , when it comes to planking, ,that there are 3 IMPORTANT PLANKS TO BE INSERTED.
1: Just 2 mm below the Main Deck
2: THE second parallel to the KEEL
3: A plank in between for later measuring., and to hold bulkheads at its space.
Then You make 3-4 Planks from upwards down, then the opposite 4 planks from the bottom upwards.
with this system, the planks will meet each other somewhere in the middle of the hull. I am adding a pic of the Norskr Love and Victoria )Vivtotoria before the laser Age)late 60 and the Norske love early 70th- BOTH with a SINGLE PLANKING: some ex. the last one you should try. Dry Bending. IT WORKS and the good thing after being bend it will not go back to its original form
I absolutely agree with you! But we are talking about different things!
You're talking about the original planking of the ships, and I'm talking about kits with two-layer planking!
This is when you need to form a surface for planking and in parallel, I suggest you practice in the placement of planks!
And then, depending on the hull, glue the planks from keel to wales or in reverse - depending on the type of vessel... For example, my French cutter, which I build from scratch, has a clinker planking, so there is only one way to do it - only from keel to wales...

P.S. In this build-log I will not focus on how to build ships from scratch, but I will show beginners how to build them from kits so that they look just like models that were built from scratch...
For bending planks I like to use an oil heater - it is stable and hot enough (with or without wetting depending on the wood)...
- Here you can watch how to bend planks.
- And here's how to mark the hull for a single-layer planking.

I absolutely agree with you! But we are talking about different things!
You're talking about the original planking of the ships, and I'm talking about kits with two-layer planking!
This is when you need to form a surface for planking and in parallel, I suggest you practice in the placement of planks!
And then, depending on the hull, glue the planks from keel to wales or in reverse - depending on the type of vessel... For example, my French cutter, which I build from scratch, has a clinker planking, so there is only one way to do it - only from keel to wales...

P.S. In this build-log I will not focus on how to build ships from scratch, but I will show beginners how to build them from kits so that they look just like models that were built from scratch...
For bending planks I like to use an oil heater - it is stable and hot enough (with or without wetting depending on the wood)...
- Here you can watch how to bend planks.
- And here's how to mark the hull for a single-layer planking.
We are apparently on a cololisition course. I always start with a kit- the Laser cut parts - but that does not forbid me to do the kit better. I have done Kits for more than 50 Years and has NOT FOUND a SINGLE ONE without failure. I understand your point, so please take me out of your list
sorry and good luck.

We are apparently on a cololisition course. I always start with a kit- the Laser cut parts - but that does not forbid me to do the kit better. I have done Kits for more than 50 Years and has NOT FOUND a SINGLE ONE without failure. I understand your point, so please take me out of your list
sorry and good luck.
@El Capi. All you need to do is 'unwatch' and this log will disappear for you. As for me - I find her work among the finest and I will remain and learn.

Thank you Olga (Olha?) for sharing your work and posting to this forum. I admire your skills and find your videos fascinating and helpful.

Last edited:
sorry and good luck.
It is very interesting for me to communicate with you - because you can always find new tricks and ways to build during discussions. Just this model I will build as an example for beginners! When everyone will be able to build a ship with high quality even without experience! My subscribers on the channel have been asking for sach a project for a whole year and at the same time they have asked for a book - that's why I write a blog!
But I am happy to continue the discussion with you about the planking technology and the rest, for example, at my other build-log:
USS CONFEDERACY
I'm preparing her for the planking now...

@El Capi. All you need to do is 'unwatch' and this log will disappear for you. As for me - I find her work among the finest and I will remain and learn.

Thank you Olga (Olya?) for sharing your work and posting to this forum. I admire your skills and find your videos fascinating and helpful.
My pleasure!
I am very glad that you found useful information here!

used to watch olga's videos, but after awhile could'nt take all the commercials. Looks like if you watch here you can bypass them.
YouTube is turning into a store - so soon there will be not only advertising))) It has become an ideal platform for making money, so do not be surprised that YouTube comes up with new ways so you can not turn off advertising without paying them for it! And what they pay the creators are tears from what YouTube actually earns!

Back