HMS PEGASUS (1776) - Amati - Scale 1:64

Very clean work, as always. The video has given me valuable tips for building rudder hinges, as I want to redo the old ones on my Serapis.
One question that has been bothering me for a while: were the hinges blackened on coppering or brass colored?
Christian
Thank you very much!
I used a copper tube and a brass sheet - all these metals are easily blackened with Brass Black along with solder (here it was silver paste).

Hi Ship Photographer, I have just come on board with your build now. Your planking looks superb by the way Thumbsup

My next model waiting in the dockyard is the HMS Fly which I understand is very similar in structure as the Pegasus, so I will be watching your build with great interest and learning as much as I can.

Can I ask, in building your stand, do your pedestal bolts go right through the keel and fasten to receiving nuts in the hull, or do they only go a small way into the keel itself? I understand that this is a process that requires some thought at the very start of a model and I am interested to know how you went about it, given that you are now in the process of installing your stand. Thanks! :)

- Mark

Hello Mark
I am glad if my construction will help you! Fly is a sister ship of Pegasus, so they are identical. The only thing that the manufacturer decided to paint the hull below the waterline instead of copper plates...
My threaded rods pass through the keel and enter the hull at 35-40mm (the length of the drill). Usually I stick it on epoxy but Pegasus is a very small and light model so I just used a thick CA glue when screwing the rods into the wood...

Hello Mark
I am glad if my construction will help you! Fly is a sister ship of Pegasus, so they are identical. The only thing that the manufacturer decided to paint the hull below the waterline instead of copper plates...
My threaded rods pass through the keel and enter the hull at 35-40mm (the length of the drill). Usually I stick it on epoxy but Pegasus is a very small and light model so I just used a thick CA glue when screwing the rods into the wood...
Thanks for sharing :)

It seems it is a good thing to plan the stand strategy in advance. i.e. Creating the holes in your keel and hull for the rods before planking. Looking forward to watching your progress with the Pegasus, good luck Thumbsup

- Mark

Back