• "Annual SOS Donation Drive Underway"
    Please consider making a Donation to SOS to support our growth and developement.
    https://www.paypal.me/DonateSOS
    Please check and read your email subject [Donations] from sosforums@shipsofscale.com for more details.

HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Maarten

Staff member

After the top rail I prepared the bottom rail and made a start with the pillars.
Al these parts are cnc carved from boxwood and I shaped, steamed and bend them into shape followed by dye them with black ecoline.
The bottom rail was again scraped to create a boxwood line in the middle before finally beewax and polish them.
20191105_214047.jpg
20191105_213658.jpg
The pillars is the next step. To fit the I removed parts of the lower rail and in the rear of the pillars to create a robust connection between the two.
Dry fitting below
20191107_211955.jpg
These will be colored black with ink also, except for the carvings.
Now it is time for the middle rail which is most difficult as it needs to be bended and twisted to create a perfect fit. But that is next time.
As all rails are fitted I will add extra boxwood pillars on the inside to enclosed the rail, this as the kit provided pillars are to thin and fragile.

Maarten

Staff member

Now that is going to look very tasty indeed Maarten :cool: Excellent work.Does the kit include any framing that goes behind the vertical carvings?I ask because Panart's offering has the whole lot levitatingROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel, Don, thx for your comments.
No in the kit there is no frame work provided, I will make this myself from boxwood to support the inside of the carvings and the rails.