HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

The cooper pipe, is that the kitchen stove vent or what was it used for?
Thx Gents for your comment.

Yes the pipe is the stove vent, I got this copper colour from a contemporary painting of 1766 from the ship where you clearly see the copper colour for the chimney.
So on this yacht I expect it was copper instead of the more common black iron.
The_Peregrine_(later_renamed_the_Royal_Caroline)_in_Two_Positions_off_the_Coast)_by_John_Cleve...jpg

G'day Maarten, are you OK, been a few days since your last post, hope you are well,
Best regards John,
Hi John, yes thanks, here everything is fine.
At the moment too busy with work and other things.
Working on the rudder, see the progress below.

The rudder is made up of two halves of equal thickness from top to bottom.
20200409_185740.jpg
20200409_185817.jpg
On the inside I milled space for the tiller.
20200409_194232.jpg
Then I sanded the inside of the rudder halves to reduce thickness to the bottom and the rear.
I also removed the most rear section of the rudder to replace it with a new strip to cover the glued surface of the rudder halves.
20200415_202838.jpg
20200415_202857.jpg
And fitted the strip
20200415_203440.jpg

Next are the rudder hinges, these are cnc milled casted brass. To my opinion these are too thick and wide so have to sand these down.
20200415_203745.jpg
After that I hammered them to widen and thin them at the end to give them a forged look.
Soldered the rudder pin into the hinge.
20200415_210959.jpg
And dry fitting.
20200415_211204.jpg

Next steps drilling holes for the nails and burnish black.

I am catching up with your log Maarten and I must say your work is fabulous.Work on mine is at the stage of rigging the anchor and messenger cables before I can fit the foredeck.If I can include half of the ropework you have,I will be happy.

I portrayed my chimney in iron as many have.Your reference is clearly not iron.Your copper version looks brilliant but I just wonder in reality if the chimney was infact made of Terracotta?This wasn't a warship as such and the fragility of such a chimney in battle would be less of a concern.I am not suggesting you change yours,it looks stunning,I guess I am just thinking out loud.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I don t know if terracotta was used for complete funnels, I know it was used for insulation at the deck to avoid heat transfer to the wood.
Ofcourse the yacht would have been something special at the time and we most probably never know the truth.
Seeing the copper colour on the contemporary painting of John Clever the Elder I went for copper but off course it could have been something else like terracotta.

if the chimney was infact made of Terracotta?
I doubt. It is too high and therefore too fragile for terracotta. Also, the ship was very expensive. Why save money on a good copper. I vote for copper. BTW, at the moment mine chimney is also black. But I may change my mind...

I doubt. It is too high and therefore too fragile for terracotta. Also, the ship was very expensive. Why save money on a good copper. I vote for copper. BTW, at the moment mine chimney is also black. But I may change my mind...

Alex,yes and no,have you seen the height of some of the Chimney pots on English Palaces and Stately homes built around the same period?They may not be Terracotta,they may Red Clay,Terracotta was probably a bad assumption.

I will repeat though,Maaten's version looks fantastic and if it were my model and proof was found it was made of something else,I would leave it as it is.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Today I had some time to finish the rudder pintles.
As mentioned in my previous post I modified the kit supplied ones, first made them thinner and gave them a forged appearence.
After burnishing them it is time for dry fitting.
20200420_212356.jpg
20200420_212543.jpg
Next is glueing them on the rudder follow by drilling holes for the nails.

Did some testing with colours, i ordered Talens Ecoline and Schminke Aero colour. Talens is pure ink and schminke is ink with pigments and therefore better uv resistant.
I ordered two yellows, a turquoise and a dark brown. The yellows I test for colouring the lower masts. Both the ecoline and schminke are transparent inks and don't cover the woodstructure, it is only coloring the wood which I will finish with oil.
20200422_120008.jpg
I tested on a strip of abachi and am quite happy with the results. Looking at the new studied yellow of hms Victory I think I will go for Schminke indian ochre and mix it with some white to create the proper yellow.

The dark brown I ordered for coloring my rope work.
I am still thinking for the standing rigging about the choice for brown coloured rope, dyed hemp rope or tarred rope with stockholmer tar.

The dyed hemp rope looks like this with the schminke aero colour.
20200422_120141.jpg
And compared with the brown coloured rope.
20200422_120211.jpg

Work on the rudder continues, not much time lately.
But the rudder is finished.
First all the hinges are drilled and burnished and nailed to the rudder.
20200422_211650.jpg

On to the hinges placed on the stern.
Also these I reduced in height and thicknes, and again hammered the end to make then thinner and wider.
On the left the reduced height rough material and on the right the finished one ready for burnishing.
20200428_202238.jpg
I sand these down on my disc sander from Lidl.

Dry fitting the hinges.
20200428_204650.jpg

And after burnishing a satisfying result.
20200429_202029.jpg

After oiling and fitting it in place only the nails in the hull hinges have to be added. But thats next time.
20200501_101242.jpg

G'day Maarten, I was wondering if you have a long piece of curved flat brass bar in your kit and if you do, do you know what it is for,

1189.jpg
best regards John,

Back