HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

It is quite something to see so much destruction and rebuilding happening all at once, much braver than I with all the chopping and cutting that's for sure.
It will look spectacular when finished with so many nooks to look into.

It is quite something to see so much destruction and rebuilding happening all at once, much braver than I with all the chopping and cutting that's for sure.
It will look spectacular when finished with so many nooks to look into.
Richie, you just have to be sure about making changes when the research doesn't match the kit. Each change departs from the kit and helps you delve into scratch building. That used to be a terrifying prospect to me, but no longer. The key is the research. Read your books on ship design, pour through other's build logs, and gather information on your ship from everywhere possible. Don't know anything about hull framing? Teach yourself. What about planking styles or internal cabin layouts? We have books on that. Don't have a source that shows you what that feature looked like? Borrow from an established convention in other ships and make your best guess and use that. Each small change comes from that, and takes the fear of changing the kit's framework, because for the first time for each feature, you know where to take it and what to make. Slowly, the ship no longer resembles the kit, and you have confidence to come up with your own features, your and own rigging plan. Adding internals is more contemplation and thought than construction of the parts from sticks of wood and modified parts from model companies. There are hundreds of small changes by the time the ship is done, and the satisfaction of looking at something that is more yours than the kit designers is beyond description. These ships are manifestations of our dreams of adventure from decades ago. At least they have been for me since I was a young boy. Only now at our advanced age are we skilled enough and have tools and materials to bring them to life. Don't just build a kit. Add parts to your model and make it your own. Build an inspiration.

...and don't be afraid of every move you make being wrong or you'll end up being neurotic like Paul. ROTF
So what if you find you did something incorrect after getting new information later, and it's too late in the build to change it. The next ship will be better.

Richie, you just have to be sure about making changes when the research doesn't match the kit. Each change departs from the kit and helps you delve into scratch building. That used to be a terrifying prospect to me, but no longer. The key is the research. Read your books on ship design, pour through other's build logs, and gather information on your ship from everywhere possible. Don't know anything about hull framing? Teach yourself. What about planking styles or internal cabin layouts? We have books on that. Don't have a source that shows you what that feature looked like? Borrow from an established convention in other ships and make your best guess and use that. Each small change comes from that, and takes the fear of changing the kit's framework, because for the first time for each feature, you know where to take it and what to make. Slowly, the ship no longer resembles the kit, and you have confidence to come up with your own features, your and own rigging plan. Adding internals is more contemplation and thought than construction of the parts from sticks of wood and modified parts from model companies. There are hundreds of small changes by the time the ship is done, and the satisfaction of looking at something that is more yours than the kit designers is beyond description. These ships are manifestations of our dreams of adventure from decades ago. At least they have been for me since I was a young boy. Only now at our advanced age are we skilled enough and have tools and materials to bring them to life. Don't just build a kit. Add parts to your model and make it your own. Build an inspiration.

...and don't be afraid of every move you make being wrong or you'll end up being neurotic like Paul. ROTF
So what if you find you did something incorrect after getting new information later, and it's too late in the build to change it. The next ship will be better.
Wise words aplenty, thank you.
Although a ship from the 1500's does bring it's challenges for me, I have no sailing or boating back ground so everything is pretty much new so it's all learning and my current build was meant to be just that.
More than the intricacies of the actual model ship an unexpected side effect for me is wanting to learn more about the people and times they lived in, I have binge watched many period drams recently to try and get a feel of what it was like to live back then and how they used to think.

Is it that obvious? ROTF

Before the middle gun deck support structure becomes any more crowded, it was time to finish the port side anchor cable and messenger cable. First, a viol block needed to be made. on early 17th century ships, the main capstan aft of the main mast was not usually used to weigh anchor. Instead, the messenger cable was passed through a viol block stropped to the main mast. At this time period, the messenger cable was called a vyol or voyol cable. I will continue to use the term messenger because more people familiar with later ships will recognize this term.

A section of round dowel was cut to make the sheave. The edge of the sheave was files with a round file to complete the shape, and the center hole was drilled. Using scrap plywood, layers of plywood and scrap lime wood were glued together to form the body of the viol block. A strip of brass had holes drilled through it for the hook at the top of the block, and the pin for the sheave. The brass strop was blackened, but the blackening wore off while the part was being shaped with needle nose pliers, so after the block was assembled it was painted black. Before the strop was CA glued to the block body, the messenger cable was passed through the block, because making a hinged section for opening the strop to accept the cable at this scale was not possible.

1642752938763.png

A small sheave was made from a section of dowel.
594 Make Viola Block Sheave.jpg

Viol block. The block had to be assembled around the messenger cable.
595 Make Viola Block from Wood and Brass Strip.jpg

A strop was made by interweaving and seizing a short length of rope into a loop. The viol block was hooked onto the strop, and the strop was passed around the main mast dowel which is temporarily inserted into the deck. PVA glue was used to glue the strop to the deck, allowing the mast dowel to be removed when the glue dries. Long after this deck is complete, the mast will be carefully inserted through the strop when installed. This solves the problem of completing the anchor cable and messenger cable assembly without having to install the main mast this early in the build.
596 Make Strop and Glue Trop Only To Deck.jpg

The viol block was also secured to the deck with CA glue, so the strop behind it will not have any force exerted by it and the messenger cable.
597 CA Glue Viola Block to Deck.jpg

Ugh. This could have been planned better as far as access. The messenger cable ends were wrapped around the fore capstan, and a curved needle and tweezers were used to tie the eyes of the messenger cable together.
598 Pass Messenger Line Around Capstan and Tie Ends Together.jpg

The line was then pulled taut with tweezers such that it is under tension from the capstan back through the viol block and to the nibs where it is secured to the anchor cable. Diluted PVA glue was then applied to the line around the capstan to keep it tightly wrapped.
599 Apply Watered Down PVA to Messenger on Capstan.jpg

This is the view of the messenger running forward and around the iron rollers in the manger at the forward end of the deck.
600 Spot Glue Messenger to Deck.jpg

Here is an overall view of the deck at present. More carlings are to be installed next.
601 Anchor Cable and Messenger Line Complete.jpg

Last edited:
Before the middle gun deck support structure becomes any more crowded, it was time to finish the port side anchor cable and messenger cable. First, a viol block needed to be made. on early 17th century ships, the main capstan aft of the main mast was not usually used to weigh anchor. Instead, the messenger cable was passed through a viol block stropped to the main mast.

A section of round dowel was cut to make the sheave. The edge of the sheave was files with a round file to complete the shape, and the center hole was drilled. Using scrap plywood, layers of plywood and scrap lime wood were glued together to form the body of the viol block. A strip of brass had holes drilled through it for the hook at the top of the block, and the pin for the sheave. The brass strop was blackened, but the blackening wore off while the part was being shaped with needle nose pliers, so after the block was assembled it was painted black. Before the strop was CA glued to the block body, the messenger cable was passed through the block, because making a hinged section for opening the strop to accept the cable at this scale was not possible.

View attachment 284650

A small sheave was made from a section of dowel.
View attachment 284642

Viol block. The block had to be assembled around the messenger cable.
View attachment 284643

A strop was made by interweaving and seizing a short length of rope into a loop. The viol block was hooked onto the strop, and the strop was passed around the main mast dowel which is temporarily inserted into the deck. PVA glue was used to glue the strop to the deck, allowing the mast dowel to be removed when the glue dries. Long after this deck is complete, the mast will be carefully inserted through the strop when installed. This solves the problem of completing the anchor cable and messenger cable assembly without having to install the main mast this early in the build.
View attachment 284644

The viol block was also secured to the deck with CA glue, so the strop behind it will not have any force exerted by it and the messenger cable.
View attachment 284645

Uffa. Questo avrebbe potuto essere pianificato meglio per quanto riguarda l'accesso. Le estremità del cavo del messaggero erano avvolte attorno all'argano jeer e un ago ricurvo e delle pinzette sono state utilizzate per legare insieme gli occhielli del cavo del messaggero.
View attachment 284646

La lenza è stata quindi tesa con una pinzetta in modo tale da essere tesa dall'argano di nuovo attraverso il blocco viola e ai pennini dove è fissata al cavo di ancoraggio. La colla PVA diluita è stata quindi applicata alla linea attorno all'argano per mantenerlo ben avvolto.
View attachment 284647

Questa è la vista del messaggero che corre in avanti e intorno ai rulli di ferro nella mangiatoia all'estremità anteriore del ponte.
View attachment 284648

Ecco una visione d'insieme del mazzo al momento. Successivamente verranno installati altri carling.
View attachment 284649
Buongiorno , domando, i bagli come mai sono un solo pezzo? Grazie, non dovrebbero essere in due pezzi

This is amazingly cool. I bought an endoscope, and tried it out. Unfortunately the 45 degree mirror for it was annoyingly visible when used, but here are some straight shots takes from the deck, with external overhead light, and without, using the cold, blue adjustable lamp within the scope. Even at this scale, it makes you believe you are truly there! A second endoscope was purchased minutes ago, and this one has a side camera as well as an end mounted camera. Hopefully it will make a better periscope.

Draping the breeching ropes and making the gun tackles finally pays off.
View attachment 282310

Anchor bitts and starboard anchor cable visible. The 3mm thick beams look as large as real ones from this angle.
View attachment 282311

Main capstan and chain pumps visible. Hard to believe the capstan is only 2cm tall.
View attachment 282312
So true, Kurt - these scope pics very much have the feeling of the 'tween deck photos of the real Vasa; true to life! Beautiful continuation of your work!

The carlings (axial deck supports) were begun today. The beams were needle filed to make bevels, and the carlings had beveled ends sanded in them so when they are glued in, they are flush with the top surfaces of the beams. The carlings are made from 1x3mm walnut. The jeer capstan shaft was glued into the gun deck and now fixed in place. Before I get too far toward the stern, the pillars need to be installed, and I have to make a viola block and strop that attached to the main mast.

What I'm wondering is how I'm going to finish this deck without installing the main mast because of this block. The messenger goes through this block and passes back forward and round the jeer capstan, and the eye on the end of the messenger needs to finally be lashed to the eye on the other end of the messenger line. Perhaps I can make a short section of mast and have the upper section of mast pinned to it, with the circumferential joint located at the level of the middle gun deck so it is not visible.

View attachment 282698

Progress so far.
View attachment 282699
The lines are so sweet, here - this is going to be a very fine model of the Sovereign.

A bit more work today. Those same pins Vfordyce used to make his hull and wale iron nails were used to become my "J" hooks for the gun train tackle rings. These were made with a round nosed pliers used for bead work, and were blackened and glued into holes in the deck, capturing iron rings. The train tackle rings are now done. Next is figuring out how to make the viola block strop around the main mast without a main mast. After that it's back to cutting and installing the carlings.

View attachment 283312

The dowel for the main mast is temporarily in place while I figure out how to capture the strop for the viola block without having the mast in place, long after the deck above is installed. Quite the puzzle.
View attachment 283313

View attachment 283314

View attachment 283315
This tip on the J-hooks is really interesting. I've been thinking of a realistic way to achieve the same thing at 1:96, and this looks just like the way to go about it. Great tip!

Back