HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Yep, those tiny leds. As I wrote earlier, I received these leds with untwisted leads, resulting in handling them being a nightmare. I tried twisting the leads myself, but that was rather unsuccessful, the leads being too "slippery".
Like you did, I planned my lighting scheme, but I have the disadvantage of having (ultimately) a partly open deck and hull, meaning I have very little room to play with. That's also why I have to route all wiring in an area which will be covered by planks and even so, I was forced to implement a cable duct into the design, for visibility concerns. Since this is a first to me, I'll have to wait and see what the effect will be, once the hull is completed.
The partly open hull is also the reason why I cannot copy your method of two separate leads.
What I did follow though is your method of parallel connecting the led lights.
Still a lot to do before I can declare success.
Thanks for your very extensive explanations, although I can't implement all your ideas, there's still a lot to learn from your approach.
Johan
REALLY? Then you have to be EXTRA careful with them. I had no way to get wires from the lower to the upper gun decks, and resorted to routing them through a hollow capstan shaft. Now I have to get the last circuit wires aft to the stern castle, and add wires from the existing conductors up one more deck in the forecastle, without making them apparent. Still thinking about that problem. Best of luck solving your interesting wiring issues.

I’m currently on vacation at a lake cabin with family in northern Minnesota. Not much going on with the Sovereign build as a result, plus I’m waiting on more LED’s to arrive from Evan’s Designs in order for work to continue. Enjoying good food, boating and swimming.
Oh man that sounds like a wonderful vacation! Here in Houston were hitting 100 to 104 every day UGH!

Now I have to get the last circuit wires aft to the stern castle, and add wires from the existing conductors up one more deck in the forecastle, without making them apparent. Still thinking about that problem.
Adding a cable duct a possibility?
I build one more as camouflage than anything else. Same wood as the ceiling material. The duct is below the upper deck, hidden from view by the deck planks. The duct is opposite from the open hull side.
It's a bit of a gamble, but I have to hide more wiring than I like...

MSW banned?

Last edited:
Adding a cable duct a possibility?
I build one more as camouflage than anything else. Same wood as the ceiling material. The duct is below the upper deck, hidden from view by the deck planks. The duct is opposite from the open hull side.
It's a bit I a gamble, but I have to hide more wiring than I like...
You are thinking about the same solution I am. I just have to decide where to hide the wires. There are many options. You can have the wires in plain sight and paint them brown and they would blend in pretty well. At this very moment, I am busy soldering in more overhead LED's for lanterns on the middle gun deck. I'll post picture of the lights later this evening.

All of the LED's for the middle gun deck are installed after many hours of bending LED leads, soldering connections and gluing down wiring.

View from stern. You can see the whipstaff protruding through the desk beams.
960 View from Stern.jpg

View through the aftermost gun port on the port side. It really does look like a ship.
961 View in Port Aft Gunport.jpg

View through the aftermost gun port on the starboard side.
962 View in Stbd Aft Gunport.jpg

View of the illumination of the middle gun deck through the upper gun deck support structure. The lighting in the room was dimmed, which made the LED lanterns appear brighter than they actually are.
959 All LED's Installed on Middel Gun Deck.jpg

All of the LED's for the middle gun deck are installed after many hours of bending LED leads, soldering connections and gluing down wiring.

View attachment 315823

View through the aftermost gun port on the port side. It really does look like a ship.
View attachment 315824

View attachment 315825

View of the illumination of the middle gun deck through the upper gun deck support structure. The lighting in the room was dimmed, which made the LED lanterns appear brighter than they actually are.
View attachment 315822
It's looking very regelmässig, Kurt. Great photo work.

Last edited:

View attachment 315823

View attachment 315824

View attachment 315825

View attachment 315822
Awesome job, Kurt.
On this deck alone some 20 lights! And I'm complaining about 14 lights in total...

Back