HMS Vanguard 1787 1:72 scale by ADoyon - First Build

Excellent choice Andrea.
I am making samples with Tamiya colors.
I like them because they have a matte finish.
But first I have to apply a primer on the hull to close the pores of the wood.
It should be spread and sanded once dry.
I also think that Humbrol yellow is too lively and I don't like it.
I will send you the photos of the samples so you can tell me your opinion.
If the samples don't satisfy me, I'll buy the set you bought too.
Thanks for the help and for the link.
antonio

I have used the Amiralty paints on My CC Endeavour and purchsed the Victory paint kit direct from Jotika( For the CC Victory kit). The paints flow really well by bush on bare wood and even better on the second coat and bond well. Be warned that Acrylic paint on sealer fininshed surfaces can scratch off easily. You main need to consider a flat varnish on top to protect it.. The tamiya paints are really designed for plastic kits and are very thin compared to Jotika/ CC paints.

Paulv, thanks for your comment on Admiralty Paints and for the tip on sealing the final coat. You give me a little more assurance that I chose the correct paints for my build. I do plan on applying a coat of Minwax Clear Polycrylic finish to the exterior of the hull after the copper plating has been polished.

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Hello everyone. I completed the second layer planking on one side. This is my first build, so I didn’t know what to expect. I thought the walnut planks would be more difficult to install than the lime wood first layer planking. The walnut planks are thinner and narrower than the lime wood planks and do bend easier around the curve of the hull, however, they are stiffer when trying to bend laterally. I think there will always be at least a little lateral bending when installing the planks if you want a tight fit against the previous plank. With that said, I believe the correct approach is to try to install the planking as they bend naturally around the hull. The planking bands I drew earlier in a previous post really helped me see how much taper to apply and where I needed to use drop planks at the bow and stealers at the stern.

Hi Andre.
Very nice and well cared for. When I have finished my holidays I will also start the second planking. I hope it turns out as good as yours

Great Job Andre! I built this ship a few years back and I followed Bob's Practicum! This was my favorite build. With your permission I can post a couple pictures?

View attachment 247394

View attachment 247395

View attachment 247396

Hello everyone. I completed the second layer planking on one side. This is my first build, so I didn’t know what to expect. I thought the walnut planks would be more difficult to install than the lime wood first layer planking. The walnut planks are thinner and narrower than the lime wood planks and do bend easier around the curve of the hull, however, they are stiffer when trying to bend laterally. I think there will always be at least a little lateral bending when installing the planks if you want a tight fit against the previous plank. With that said, I believe the correct approach is to try to install the planking as they bend naturally around the hull. The planking bands I drew earlier in a previous post really helped me see how much taper to apply and where I needed to use drop planks at the bow and stealers at the stern.
Great job on your first hull planking! Given the quality of your work thus far, I’m certain this ship will be very nice when finished. ;)

First Build: Amati HMS Vanguard 1787, 1:72 scale. I appreciate the opportunity to share my first build with the SOS community. I have very limited experience with wood ship modeling and hope to receive valuable advice from members. So, all tips and comments are welcome. A little background about myself: I am a retired engineer, age 74, and now find that I have some time to to spend on a build. I started building the Billing Boats Cutty Sark model 50 years ago, but never finished and gave that kit away. Also, about the same time I purchased the Mantua Sergal HMS Victory, which I still have and have not started. The HMS Victory looks a bit daunting with plans in Italian and limited instructions in English. I became interested in building a model of the BlueJacket version of the USS Constitution since I live 30 miles south of Boston and I can visit the ship often. While researching wood ship modeling on the internet I found Robert Hunt’s Practicums on building various wood model kits. I contacted Bob to ask his opinion about this kit. He mentioned that the BlueJacket version is the 1812 configuration and the actual ship as configured today may not be helpful. The BlueJacket kit is also at a smaller scale than the Vanguard which makes the build a little more difficult. Bob suggested that if I really wanted to build a large complex kit to build the Amati HMS Vanguard and to purchase his practicum on building the kit. I did purchase his practicum and realize that it will be of considerable value to my effort. He explains all steps in great detail with techniques and tools to use. I believe his website, www.lauckstreetshipyard.com, is a valuable resource for novice ship modelers. I will be following the kit’s instructions as well as Bob Hunt’s practicum. So, now on with the build…
Hallo @ADoyon
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 247394

View attachment 247395

View attachment 247396

Looking great. That is a fine planking job

Hallo @ADoyon
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
hi @

Hi Uwe, Just to inform you, that I start the Medical check tomorrow and over some time. As mentioned before my time here will be limited. Direct questions over the mail or by e-mail at PEANDERSEN@TELEFONICA.NET. PLEASE ADD IT TO THE RIGHT PLACE, AS MY SHORT MEMORY IS Failing a lot over the last few days so I feel- see below. thanks,
Poul-el Capi

Attachments

• 5B203F99-C1C9-4C54-BBBD-A32E9E9623AD.jpeg
    5B203F99-C1C9-4C54-BBBD-A32E9E9623AD.jpeg
    801.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 18
Back