HMS Victory 1:96 based on Shipyard

This build-log is a GEM! Wonderfully inventive techniques and superb results. All extremely impressive!

I particularly like your method of making gratings. This is a great way to go, if one is mot equipped with, or simply doesn’t have shop space for a Preac saw. If my kit-bash experiment with stock, plastic kit gratings doesn’t work, I will give your method a go.

I loved all of the great cabin furniture. Just great, great stuff. I will be following with great interest!

Hello.

I haven't been here for almost two years, but I'm still alive and so is my Victory. As you can see in the photos, I decided to change the concept of the model and make it with the lids closed. I saw a model made in such a way and I liked this „checkerboard pattern” on the the sides so much, that I decided to do it also in my ship. So there will be no visible guns on the two lower decks.

DSC_1756.jpg

DSC_1762.jpg

Before painting the model I've made the main, middle and upper wales on the sides.

DSC_1764.jpg

In Victory the main wale was put on in „anchor stock” planking. Each plank was fashioned with a double taper from the center of one edge, so that the planks laid side by side looked something like the stock of the anchor (see pict. below)

main wale.jpg

The middle wale was put on in similar, but not the same pattern. One edge of the plank was tapered, but insted of the tapers being equal in length one was quite twice length of the other (see pict. below)

górny pas.jpg

Some people may notice, that the shape of the planks I've made on the main wale is slightly different than on the other models. In many models, the main and the middle wale are arranged in the same way, as in the second picture. Various sources give different information about the arrangement of these planks. I made them according to the description given in Longridge's book. Interestingly, on the current ship you will not notice the wales arranged in the so-called anchor stock.

To be continued...

Last edited:
The wales are looking very good - but especially also the copper sheeting - great appearance especially in this scale.
For everybody interested, take a look at post #14 of this log, where the construction method is shown.... Thumbsup Thumbsup

Hi Paragraf,
will these be any use to you on the painting front ?

Very impressive workmanship on something that small , I only realised what size it was when I saw the matchstick in the Admirals cabin! Well done that man !
Very impressive workmanship on something that small , I only realised what size it was when I saw the matchstick in the Admirals cabin! Well done that man !

Hello. I’d like to introduce You the building process of my cardstock (pressboard) HMS Victory.
The first thing was to make a ship’s frames. The frames I made from 1 mm cardstock, except the bottom of hull (beneath the waterline), where the frames are 3 mm thick. To increase the thickness I glued additional strips of paper on each frame’s side. I made this because I wanted to have a wider surface to glue the first layer of “plank”.

View attachment 53250

View attachment 53251

All sticking out parts of frames I soaked using CA glue. It helps strengthen them to avoid accidentally damage.

View attachment 53252

I glued two pine slats, one on each side, following almost from bow to stern, to keep the straight line of the paper “keel”.

View attachment 53255

View attachment 53256

Each frame was initially “sanded”, but without using sandpaper. I made this by using the colourless water glue, putting it on each frame’s edge, to soften this element. Then, with a wooden spatula I smoothed the frame edges.

View attachment 53260

Between the frames I glued cardstock pieces (2 mm thick). It helps to avoid “falling” the paper planks between the frames, because they are not as stiff and hard as wooden. It’s hard to believe, but there are about 500 pieces.
View attachment 53263

View attachment 53264

Finally, the view of the first "planking"
View attachment 53265
View attachment 53266
View attachment 53267
Hallo @Paragraf
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello. I’d like to introduce You the building process of my cardstock (pressboard) HMS Victory.
The first thing was to make a ship’s frames. The frames I made from 1 mm cardstock, except the bottom of hull (beneath the waterline), where the frames are 3 mm thick. To increase the thickness I glued additional strips of paper on each frame’s side. I made this because I wanted to have a wider surface to glue the first layer of “plank”.

All sticking out parts of frames I soaked using CA glue. It helps strengthen them to avoid accidentally damage.

I glued two pine slats, one on each side, following almost from bow to stern, to keep the straight line of the paper “keel”.

Each frame was initially “sanded”, but without using sandpaper. I made this by using the colourless water glue, putting it on each frame’s edge, to soften this element. Then, with a wooden spatula I smoothed the frame edges.

Between the frames I glued cardstock pieces (2 mm thick). It helps to avoid “falling” the paper planks between the frames, because they are not as stiff and hard as wooden. It’s hard to believe, but there are about 500 pieces.
Finally, the view of the first "planking
Hallo @Paragraf
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 53250

View attachment 53251

View attachment 53252

View attachment 53255

View attachment 53256

View attachment 53260

View attachment 53263

View attachment 53264

Finally, the view of the first "planking"
View attachment 53265
View attachment 53266
View attachment 53267
Hallo @Paragraf
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Paragraf
Birthday-Cake

Back