HMS Victory by Occre build log

Just ordered the new rather expensive HMS Victory from Occre. Look forward to receiving it in a few days time. Hope to post the build of it over the next few months or more realistically a year. Should be interesting comparing it to the Caldercraft Victory I built in 2015. Since then a Titanic, Riva, Sovereign of the Seas, a Sopwith Camel, HMS Blandford have been added to my collection. Just completed the Occre Sevensons Rocket - this put me onto the Occre Victory. Looking at the description it is for the 'expert' which is a bit daunting as my skills have yet led to advanced techniques such as clever nailing. However during the next few months hope to be inspired to try these techniques out. Will see how its goes - anyway see below for the Caldercraft Victory which started my latest modeling activities after a 40 years break (used to make simple Airfix planes which all ended up in flames or small model gliders which crashed!)

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2357_1.jpg

IMG_2359.JPG

Just ordered the new rather expensive HMS Victory from Occre. Look forward to receiving it in a few days time. Hope to post the build of it over the next few months or more realistically a year. Should be interesting comparing it to the Caldercraft Victory I built in 2015. Since then a Titanic, Riva, Sovereign of the Seas, a Sopwith Camel, HMS Blandford have been added to my collection. Just completed the Occre Sevensons Rocket - this put me onto the Occre Victory. Looking at the description it is for the 'expert' which is a bit daunting as my skills have yet led to advanced techniques such as clever nailing. However during the next few months hope to be inspired to try these techniques out. Will see how its goes - anyway see below for the Caldercraft Victory which started my latest modeling activities after a 40 years break (used to make simple Airfix planes which all ended up in flames or small model gliders which crashed!)

View attachment 402443

View attachment 402444

View attachment 402445
Good afternoon. Your first Victory is impressive so look forward to following your quest with another Victory.Cheers Grant

Well it has arrived - all 14kgs of it in a huge box 32x21 1/2 x 9 inches of it. My wife said "Biggest box we ever had delivered". First impressions are its a quality collection of bits - really good instructions as well - just what I need. Read some comments on this forum saying its over priced; but its seem OK to me (but then what do I know). Will have to wait a week or two to start the build as need to finish up on other work on the house first. Seen some comments that some elements of the Victory have not been catered for - ie flat deck, poor ropes - will have to look into this to see if I can up the quality and make it more realistic. Will be interesting to see how it looks next to the Caldercraft Victory

Cannot wait to start - expect it will take at least a year to build - perhaps target completion date Christmas 2024????

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

Last edited:
WOW !
I was wondering if or when someone on the forum was going to get one of these. Congratulations. Over priced - I don't think so. Its all a matter of reference. no one can put a PRICE ON A HOBBY - so I am not sure who said that it was over priced (maybe to them it was). I am sorry, but that is a very sour comment and puts the damper on things.
Enjoy the build. I am glad you got the ship and I am sure you are going to love it. Usually (advanced kits) usually means that is relates mostly to the size of the ship and not necessary to its complexity. The larger the ship is, actually to me, it is easier to build. Anything to me that is 18" and less - I will not do it.

View attachment 402443

View attachment 402444

View attachment 402445
Hello Julian

I too ordered this kit. model expo indicated not to expect to receive it until “the second week in November 23”. Not sure what that means but no matter since I want to set the kit aside until I finish other projects I‘m working on right now. And my delay will give me the opportunity to watch your build and learn.
I agree the kit is expensive.

Respectfully,
Craig

:) Dear Julian
it's looks very interesting project, I will keep following with great curiosity

View attachment 402443

View attachment 402444

View attachment 402445
I love this model. Very sweet.
I'm almost done with my Mantua one. Labor if love, to be sure.

20230831_164734.jpg

Note to myself - Must make a 'proper' stand for the Caldercraft Victory. As you can see I did a rush job with plywood. For later models I used my 'O' level woodwork skills to make one out of Oak strips bought from B&Q. Also used hardwood window boards 12" wide to make a stand for the Stevensons Rocket

congratulations and good luck with your build. Your unboxing pictures seem to show the 'standard' OcCre rigging thread which is very easy to work with but rather soft and fluffy. In not sure it is of a quality consistent with the claimed standard of the kit.

Drum roll - started it this afternoon

They have created a good base where the keel and ribs will be slotted into. Once the main hull is complete will be able to lift it out to continue work.

First impressions is they have thought about the ease of assembly, good instructions and diagrams make it easy to follow (so far!!). Made one modification - glued the hardboard base onto a sheet of 1 inch ply to make sure the base was solid and cannot bend. So far the wooden keel is made of straight grained oak - no problems so far apart from breaking the stern piece of the keel (no-one will notice when its all glued up...)

So far 10 pieces used - only approx 3,950 to go!!

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

Just complete the first 8 ribs - took most of Monday. As my other half just said "This looks familiar" -very standard construction technique for model boats

Each Rib is made out of three pieces of Oak - read people comments the the actual Victory Ribs were made of several separate pieces (rather like the HMS Blandford I made last year). Dry fitted the first ribs to see how they looked, I am thinking of making treenails to make the ribs look more realistic. Each rib is 15mm apart so treenails will certainly be seen

Having never tried this technique it will be all new for me!. Kit is scale 1:87 so with my ignorance I would guess I need nails around 0.5mm dia - this would give a real life diameter of 5cm or two inches which sounds about right

Any suggestions how I should do the nailing are more than welcome - have looked at using tooth picks but another method I have found for this forum is to drill a 0.8mm hole and fill with a neutral coloured wood filler and then use linseed oil to bring out the colour of the wood . Decisions, decisions

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4652.JPG

Well it has arrived - all 14kgs of it in a huge box 32x21 1/2 x 9 inches of it. My wide said "Biggest box we ever had delivered". First impressions are its a quality collection of bits - really good instructions as well - just what I need. Read some comments on this forum saying its over priced; but its seem OK to me (but then what do I know). Will have to wait a week or two to start the build as need to finish up on other work on the house first. Seen some comments that some elements of the Victory have not been catered for - ie flat deck, poor ropes - will have to look into this to see if I can up the quality and make it more realistic. Will be interesting to see how it looks next to the Caldercraft Victory

Cannot wait to start - expect it will take at least a year to build - perhaps target completion date Christmas 2024????

View attachment 402959

View attachment 402960

View attachment 402961

View attachment 402962

View attachment 402963

View attachment 402965

View attachment 402966

View attachment 402967

View attachment 402968
Looking forward to follow your build
Ince you have done a very beautiful Caldercraft Victory, it would be interesting to read your comments on comparing those 2 kits

Back