HMS Victory by Occre build log

Hello Julian

I will be following your progress closely. I am eager to see this build. I got an e-mail from ModelExpo telling me that my copy of this model has shipped. Mine however is going into the storage until I finish some other projects.

I have got mine as well. Very impressed with the quality of packaging and parts and materials used. The metal parts have a very sharp and beautiful details on them. Nothing like I’ve seen before. The only thing I don’t understand are the sails. They in general god quality and a lot of detail stitching even the rope around. But why for God sake they put those bizarre stitches on the edges??

It is a very interesting way of assambling the "ribs" - but we have to be honest, that these framing is not representing any kind of original real framing of the real ships

When you think about nailing, you think about bolts which were fixing the different parts of a frame, like floor timber, futtocks and top timbers?

IMG-5211.jpg

Here on the Victory kit we have only a floor timber connected with the upper part of the frame - than we woul have only at this part some bolts (red colour) - exactly where the temporary bracings are (green arrow)

IMG_4654.JPG

First of all you can drill here only when the complete hull structure is finished and you do not need any more these bracings. So you have to think about drill from inside maybe only 1/3 of the thickness to immitate the bolts - and much later drill ing from outside also appr. 1/3 for immitating the biolts from outside in a similar pattern.
On a higher level of the frame you have no joints (between futtock and top timbers) so you have to immitate these joints, that a bolting would make sense

So I woiuld think twice, if some bolts are making really sense there ...... just my two subjective cents

I too ordered this from Model Expo. “the second week in November 23” this ship date is confusing. If you don't mind me asking, what did you all have to pay for this Occre model?

I too ordered this from Model Expo. “the second week in November 23” this ship date is confusing. If you don't mind me asking, what did you all have to pay for this Occre model?
Hello J,

I payed $1,199.00. I received my kit yesterday. I did a brief inspection of the kit. Very impressive packaging. Very impressive component - brass, wood, etc. As noted before it is heavy. Mine has gone into storage until I complete my other project. But I am definitely looking forward to the build.

Occre producing a POF kit - Should be fun! And definitely following! Personal opinion - I think oak's grain is a little coarse for a POF exposed frame. It will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with in their builds. I would probably use the supplied frames as patterns to use cherry, maple or pear. Julian, you're off to a great start!! And with your previous build of the Victory, that familiarity should be of great use!!!

Occre producing a POF kit - Should be fun! And definitely following! Personal opinion - I think oak's grain is a little coarse for a POF exposed frame. It will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with in their builds. I would probably use the supplied frames as patterns to use cherry, maple or pear. Julian, you're off to a great start!! And with your previous build of the Victory, that familiarity should be of great use!!!
How much replacement wood do you think it would take to make this change?

How much replacement wood do you think it would take to make this change?
My thought would be to replace all the exposed frame sheets with the species you desire to work with, prepping the new sheets to the appropriate dimension of the laser cut sheets provided in the kit. I would use the actual pieces removed from the sheets for patterning and not trace the silhouettes of the supplied kit sheets. My two cents, anyway.

I just got an email from Model Expo and they are offering the Occre Victory kit for $1,138. I find it an insult that they offer the kit for $1,199 for a limited time to induce you to buy now before raising the price for the same kit for less two weeks later! I understand that it’s their business and they do whatever they like regarding pricing. However it does not instill customer loyalty. I realize that the difference is not significant. Rather it’s the principle of the thing. I’m fairly certain that they’d credit me the difference if I contacted them. They did credit me the difference when I purchased Speedy. That was about $200. But I not going to contact them this time. I’m just not going to do business with them going forward.

Please forgive my rant!

I think that if I manage to buy this kit, i will most likely fully plank it and not install the sales.

Last edited:
Apparently my experience with the Occre Victory is not a one off. I just read a post from RegG about his experience. It’s too convoluted to totally review here but there is a problem. RegG I agree with statement about owning up and maintaining customer satisfaction.

Decided not to do any fake nailing/bolting of the hull - Keep it simple

Fitted the first 18 frames and started to create the lower deck. As always having problems getting the infill pieces between the deck beams exactly straight. Made a jig to help (see last photo). Got to cut some 700 pieces of 15mm long 3x3 timbers to create the infill pieces/stats! (first minor bug bear - why not cut these for us??.). After a while I almost can tell by eye if I have to sand a bit off the infill piece to make it fit - amazing variation in width between the beams - have to work to a fraction of a mm to make them fit.

As you can see its beginning to take shape

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

Last edited:
Back