HMS Victory by Occre build log

Hello Julian,

Great start on your Victory. I like the building jig to keep the frames aligned and the jig for the floor timbers.

Bill
Je pense la même chose que vous
Bravo pour ce début
Marco

I think the same thing as you
Well done for this start

Marco

Occre are pretty good with providing jigs; they have thought what us model builders need to keep everything in alignment - as RegG says above they provide a base into which all the ribs slot. They also provide another jig shaped like a comb to keep the spaces between the ribs constant. Will take pictures of the jigs provided for the next posting

Only 3 ribs to go - as you can see almost all of the main ribs are in place together with most of the first two decks. You can see in the photos the rather good jigs provided to keep everything lined up (was going to say shipshape but thats a bit of a cliche!!). Managed to break one of the ribs but a bit of glue will hide it - no-one will notice.......

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

Hello Julian

I like your work thus far. I also like the jig for alignment of the ribs. Great idea! I'm learning every time I go on this forum. I wish it had occurred to me to use a jig like that for my other builds. It will certainly be in the future!

Hello Julian

I like your work thus far. I also like the jig for alignment of the ribs. Great idea! I'm learning every time I go on this forum. I wish it had occurred to me to use a jig like that for my other builds. It will certainly be in the future!
I understand, that this jig is especially prepared for and is part of the kit. So not possible to use for other models ....
A fast way indeed

Just ordered the new rather expensive HMS Victory from Occre. Look forward to receiving it in a few days time. Hope to post the build of it over the next few months or more realistically a year. Should be interesting comparing it to the Caldercraft Victory I built in 2015. Since then a Titanic, Riva, Sovereign of the Seas, a Sopwith Camel, HMS Blandford have been added to my collection. Just completed the Occre Sevensons Rocket - this put me onto the Occre Victory. Looking at the description it is for the 'expert' which is a bit daunting as my skills have yet led to advanced techniques such as clever nailing. However during the next few months hope to be inspired to try these techniques out. Will see how its goes - anyway see below for the Caldercraft Victory which started my latest modeling activities after a 40 years break (used to make simple Airfix planes which all ended up in flames or small model gliders which crashed!)

View attachment 402443

View attachment 402444

View attachment 402445
Hard work in front of the next 2-3 years or more. Good luck. I built my 1st Victoria and the only one about the end of 1979/ beginning of 1980-- long before laser cut came into the market, so hard handwork. there was no direct instruction book either, instead 16 about 1:1 sheets where the instructions were, so one or two walls were covered.

I do like this forum - especially the superb positive attitude from everyone and also the way that one can pick up tips from others and also pass on ideas which can be used in other models

Thanks to everyone who has replied - it does help
The community here is very positive and helpful, you can always get specific help. Maybe not everyone agrees on the quality of the sets or the color of the cutting mat, but overall it is very positive, especially since the models we make sometimes take several years to complete and we are asked for help multiple times. I also really appreciate the help from other forum members. I haven't encountered any refusal to help or the answer "it's already been said, look for it", for which I am especially grateful.

Ribs finished and its onto the next stage. Initial timbers places to build the Bow and Stern. Next job sanding the hull. As you can see final size of the model is being seen for the first time with the lower parts of the 3 masts in place

Thinking of ditching the 2x5 Beech planking provided and going for a 1st and 2nd planking using say 1x5 lime for 1st planking and 1x5 walnut for the 2nd planking. Reason is the beech is very uniform in texture, I much prefer the slightly rougher walnut as used on the Caldercraft Victory. Intend to paint the final mode (had thought of using the 5x2mm beech provided for the 1st planking but realised this may make problems in making the hull too thick in the bulwark area – this would make the rail provided too small) Any views / suggestions more than welcome.........

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

Last edited:
Ribs finished and its onto the next stage. Initial timbers places to build the Bow and Stern. Next job sanding the hull. As you can see final size of the model is being seen for the first time with the lower parts of the 3 masts in place

Thinking of ditching the 2x5 Beech planking provided and going for a 1st and 2nd planking using say 1x5 lime for 1st planking and 1x5 walnut for the 2nd planking. Reason is the beech is very uniform in texture, I much prefer the slightly rougher walnut as used on the Caldercraft Victory. Intend to paint the final model. Any views / suggestions more than welcome.........

View attachment 407474

View attachment 407475

View attachment 407476

View attachment 407477

View attachment 407478
WELL DONE MATE

So far pretty impressed with the kit

No problems with separating the ribs from the pre cut sheets

Ribs went together very well, once glued together they all slotted in position along the keel very easily

Once all of the ribs were in place and the first two internal decks fitted the resulting structure was very solid. Looking down the line of ribs they made an impressive curve. Only two ribs were out of alignment by about 1/8 inch; was able to solve this by sanding down adjacent ribs to get everything lined up well

Instructions are good. So far am on line 166 of 759 lines in the instruction manual. Each line has its corresponding photograph. No problems in following the instructions – if I was a beginner at building this sort of kit they would be more than sufficient to follow.

Strips of wood are good quality

Only issue is the planking of the hull – as you see from a previous post I am proposing to use 1.5 x 5mm limewood for the 1st planking and 1x5mm walnut for the second planking (had thought of using the 5x2mm beech provided for the 1st planking but realised this may make problems in making the hull too thick in the bulwark area – this would make the rail provided too small)

Can recommend it to anyone – cost is not too bad for what you get – don’t forget the Caldercraft Victory is now around 1k – around £200 less than the Occre kit. Will do a full comparison with the Caldercraft Victory in a few weeks time

Any suggestions of adding to this build log are welcome. This is my first build log so am not sure how much detail is appropriate. Am trying to post each stage as it is completed

The most important thing is I am enjoying the build – at no point do I have to stop and wonder what to do next or how on earth this part is fitted

Ribs went together very well, once glued together they all slotted in position along the keel very easily

Once all of the ribs were in place and the first two internal decks fitted the resulting structure was very solid. Looking down the line of ribs they made an impressive curve. Only two ribs were out of alignment by about 1/8 inch; was able to solve this by sanding down adjacent ribs to get everything lined up well

Instructions are good. So far am on line 166 of 759 lines in the instruction manual. Each line has its corresponding photograph. No problems in following the instructions – if I was a beginner at building this sort of kit they would be more than sufficient to follow.

Only issue is the planking of the hull – as you see from a previous post I am proposing to use 1.5 x 5mm limewood for the 1st planking and 1x5mm walnut for the second planking (had thought of using the 5x2mm beech provided for the 1st planking but realised this may make problems in making the hull too thick in the bulwark area – this would make the rail provided too small)

Can recommend it to anyone – cost is not too bad for what you get – don’t forget the Caldercraft Victory is now around 1k – around £200 less than the Occre kit. Will do a full comparison with the Caldercraft Victory in a few weeks time

Any suggestions of adding to this build log are welcome. This is my first build log so am not sure how much detail is appropriate. Am trying to post each stage as it is completed

The most important thing is I am enjoying the build – at no point do I have to stop and wonder what to do next or how on earth this part is fitted
Hi Julian
Many thanks fir your comments an valuable input
The Victory will most probably be the next ship I build an I'll have to decide if I go with Occre or with Caldercraft
So indeed I am very infested by your experience and evaluation
Cheers

Too professional for me I must admit

Hi Julian
Many thanks fir your comments an valuable input
The Victory will most probably be the next ship I build an I'll have to decide if I go with Occre or with Caldercraft
So indeed I am very infested by your experience and evaluation
Cheers
You may have to make a decision sooner, as the Occre Victory is a limited edition production (only 900) kits.

Good afternoon. Your first Victory is impressive so look forward to following your quest with another Victory.Cheers Grant
Decided not to do any fake nailing/bolting of the hull - Keep it simple

Fitted the first 18 frames and started to create the lower deck. As always having problems getting the infill pieces between the deck beams exactly straight. Made a jig to help (see last photo). Got to cut some 700 pieces of 15mm long 3x3 timbers to create the infill pieces/stats! (first minor bug bear - why not cut these for us??.). After a while I almost can tell by eye if I have to sand a bit off the infill piece to make it fit - amazing variation in width between the beams - have to work to a fraction of a mm to make them fit.

As you can see its beginning to take shape

View attachment 405603

View attachment 405604

View attachment 405605
Looks great Julian - my kit is on the way from Norwich but have the Victory cross section to finish off first ( oh and HMY Fubbs scratch build) - but will be following with interest.

Back