HMS Victory by Occre build log

Ribs finished and its onto the next stage. Initial timbers places to build the Bow and Stern. Next job sanding the hull. As you can see final size of the model is being seen for the first time with the lower parts of the 3 masts in place

Thinking of ditching the 2x5 Beech planking provided and going for a 1st and 2nd planking using say 1x5 lime for 1st planking and 1x5 walnut for the 2nd planking. Reason is the beech is very uniform in texture, I much prefer the slightly rougher walnut as used on the Caldercraft Victory. Intend to paint the final mode (had thought of using the 5x2mm beech provided for the 1st planking but realised this may make problems in making the hull too thick in the bulwark area – this would make the rail provided too small) Any views / suggestions more than welcome.........

View attachment 407474

View attachment 407475

View attachment 407476

View attachment 407477

View attachment 407478
Good morning Julian. Wow very impressive. I am with you re the Beech. Vs Lime for the first planking layer. I find lime easier to taper, bend , bevel and of course sand….Cheers Grant

Your building log is very interesting
Be sure, that all these ribs are and structure is rigid enough for the sanding activity - Happy sanding

While waiting for lime and walnut strips to arrive for hull started to make gun carriages. As you can see Occre supply another jig to help keep them in alignment. Glued this onto a square of plywood to help to hold it. Made a measuring stick to help cut out the axles - just measured 15mm along a strip of ply and then glue a piece or 5x5mm strip. Put it against the end of the rod and cut - simples - only 116 axles to make for the 58 large gun carriages!!.

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

Been sanding the hull; not really much to do at all so it was only two days work for the ribs, bow and stern timbers. The profile shape for the stern timbers under the main cabin was a bit hard to work out using the instructions until I found this Occre Video. It also helped to compare the shape of the Caldercraft Victory

Suddenly watching this it made sense and was able to complete the shaping using the Dremel circular sander attachment

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4702.JPG

Very nice, Julian.
Here are the Occre team showing their process of design and build of this model.
I can't wait to get mine started.

I see lots of black Friday deals on the kit - should have waited a month and saved a fortune - now £889. Will teach me not to be impatient, never mind. Perhaps others may take advantage of this offer while it lasts - certainly makes the kit more affordable compared to others.

I see lots of black Friday deals on the kit - should have waited a month and saved a fortune - now £889. Will teach me not to be impatient, never mind. Perhaps others may take advantage of this offer while it lasts - certainly makes the kit more affordable compared to others.

There was a topic about this model and others warned. This is how good advertising, propaganda and puppets work. A regular model, nothing more. Things will get even more interesting durinng construction.

Started 1st planking for hull. Yet another gadget from Occre to help mark out the line as you can see from the photo. The first planks start in line with the 2nd deck leaving the area below open so you can see the oak ribs. As you can see due to the curvature of the hull I used narrow 2x2 strips in places as they are more 'bendy' - yes I could have soaked the 5x1.5 planks and bent them but found this method better. Also used pins to keep strips in place. As you can see I will need the 2nd planking to hide any defects in the 1st planking

FYI - when I sanded the ribs into the correct curvature found the hull was really solid - the two lower decks really tied everything together

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4710.JPG

IMG_4711.JPG

Promised a comparison with the Caldercraft Victory - so far I think each have various aspects of the design which could be deemed better than the other. At the end of the day it is up to individual preference

Ribs - Occre wins. Caldercraft have ply ribs which are hidden by the rest of the structure. Occre have oak ribs which give an idea of how the ship is put together 9yes the real Victory ribs came in several different sections, the Occre have 3 sections for each rib

Cannons - Caldercraft win by a mile. The real guns have wooden axles. Occre have a solid base to the gun carriage and the axles are made of metal rod which are glued below it. See photo below of the completed Caldercraft cannon on my Victory (yes its a bit dusty!!) - they look more realistic - the rear end of the gun carriage goes past the wooden axel. Fortunately the 58 gun carriages I have made will be in the lower decks and you will not be able to see them - all you will see is the end of the gun barrel in the gun port. I will alter the way I make the rest of the gun carriages to make them more realistic. I include a pdf of a diagram showing the components of the 38 pounder guns (details from HMS Victory by Alan McGowan - I find this book incredibly useful whenever any details of the construction are required)

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

Attachments

• Gun.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Just arrived from Norwich (UK) effectively 4 days after ordering - No 75 on the box - looks really good - under orders from SWMBO to finish current build of Corel cross section of HMS V (+boarding pikes / hammocks + nets etc.) before I can start!! It will finally (probably 2 years further down the line) compliment a 1756 painting of the Victory hanging on the wall !! Might have to move house to accommodate all.

IMG_0545 2.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

I think that if I manage to buy this kit, i will most likely fully plank it and not install the sales.
I'm certain the wood and materials to close in one side of the ship will become and add-on kit that OcCre will offer for sale.

I did finally hear from Model Expo. They are telling me that Occre was overloaded with orders and will get more out early next week. So, I am confused how Spree got his 4 days after ordering. I ordered mine 2 months ago. I think I should get a small discount refunded to my credit card as they have had my money for almost 2 months now. What do you all think:?

Finished the first planking and started to sand it. As the hull is not fully covered with the area below the first gun deck fully open sanding it relatively easy to do. Still got a bit to do though with fine sand paper. Glad I decided to use a 1st and 2nd planking as my skills are not up to the task of just doing a single layer; especially with the Occre method of a nail at each rib.

As I finished the planking I realised how small the Occre model is compared to the Caldercraft Victory - Occre is 1:87 scale, 1172 log and 785 high. Caldercraft scale 1:72 1385 long, 940 high. Looking at the two models together the Occre is definitely small by comparison

Next task is cutting out the gun ports using the paper template. Not looking forward to having to cut through some of the ribs - still the hull is really strong and they recommend brushing white glue inside all of the complete planking to add extra strength

Not sure whether to do the second planking before cutting out the gun ports. Think it may be easier to cut through the first planking for each port and then do the second planking. The second planking is 1mm so should be easy to cut. May do a trial of each method to see which one gives the better result. Decisions, decisions .........

Interesting suggestion from someone to completely plank the hull. Perhaps if one side was covered with copper sheets below the water line like the Caldercraft version, the other side could be left open as designed by Occre . An interesting debate to be had. Must admit I do like the idea of having one side having some copper plates in - I do like the way Caldercraft have designed this part

Let the debate start!!

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

Oh just received my next model an Occre Pacific 231 train. Could not resist a black Friday deal - the box is on the top of the wardrobe ready to start when the Victory is finished. Expect I will have to wait a year though unless of course we get snowed in and there is nothing else to do but modeling.!!

Wow, you are moving right along and she is looking great !
Even though the Occre kit is smaller than the Caldercraft kit, I don't think I would call the Occre kit a small kit. LOL

Jeff

Back