HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

I picked up this kit this week, 2nd hand, and so glad I found your blog. As you can see it is quite old, but most bits are there. All the plans are, 1-16 and A, B and C. I have 2 questions, where did you get the copper strips? And was there a parts list? I was at first confused by the green pieces then realised they are the "copper"plates, but much prefer the real thing. And want to inventory what I have in the box so I can get the right timbers. Remarkably, the fittings bags are still intact. The previous owner lost interest

IMG20230809161949.jpg

IMG20230809162008.jpg

IMG20230809162048.jpg

IMG20230809163309.jpg

I picked up this kit this week, 2nd hand, and so glad I found your blog. As you can see it is quite old, but most bits are there. All the plans are, 1-16 and A, B and C. I have 2 questions, where did you get the copper strips? And was there a parts list? I was at first confused by the green pieces then realised they are the "copper"plates, but much prefer the real thing. And want to inventory what I have in the box so I can get the right timbers. Remarkably, the fittings bags are still intact. The previous owner lost interest

View attachment 388890

View attachment 388891

View attachment 388892

View attachment 388895
Maybe it would be good, when you start your own building log ...... would be great

I picked up this kit this week
Hi, Robmelbourne. The Bills of Materials with sizes, lengths and material type are on each page of drawing sheets. For copper plates I used selfadhesive copper strips available widely on ebay and amazon as here:

You just must select proper width and thickness.

...and yes, I would also ask you to open your own building log. Mixing my and yours building progress on my building log is not a good idea as other viewers will have difficulty understanding my progress.

Here how the build looks now. All carriages are installed against the ports. There will be no way to install them if decks above the current one are installed. This is where Mamoli instructions suck as they do not mention of this problem till much later into their instructions. By that time a builder who follows their instructions is screwed. If I am not correct in this statement please point this out to me. I am ready to apologize if I was wrong. Note that carriages and bulwarks walls which are going to be visible through the upper deck large hatch are all special. Carriages are of extended type as we saw in my posts above. Walls are painted yellow ochre and were built up for thickness. Gun barrels are going to be installed after upper decks are built and second planking is installed.

View attachment 159514View attachment 159515View attachment 159516View attachment 159517View attachment 159518
You are exactly correct about no instructions as to installing the lower deck cannons. I did get screwed!! I ended up getting a 12" set of tweezers and went in through the upper deck openings and the gun ports. It was not a pleasant task.

Dusek resurrected the brand with some important improvements, but the whole series of kits really needs to be taken back to the start, redesigned, updated and reengineered. The metal castings need to be remodeled and new molds made, instructions rewritten and put into some reasonably logical, easy to follow order, and especially their approach to hull planking totally overhauled. A novice plunging into one of their kits is in for a rude awakening, and perhaps a life altering experience, possibly being disabused of the notion of ever trying to build a wood ship model from a kit ever again! I speak from personal experience. But perhaps being a glutton for punishment, I am now on my third Mamoli build. A word to the wise: Mamoli kits are for experienced kit bashers and/or scratch builders.

Pete

Hi, Robmelbourne. The Bills of Materials with sizes, lengths and material type are on each page of drawing sheets. For copper plates I used selfadhesive copper strips available widely on ebay and amazon as here:

You just must select proper width and thickness.

...and yes, I would also ask you to open your own building log. Mixing my and yours building progress on my building log is not a good idea as other viewers will have difficulty understanding my progress.
Thank for the information Y.T. I did see the lists on each sheet, I was hoping there would have been an inventory of all materials, to ensure I had all materials before commencing. I will do my own separate build log, when I get around to it. I had no intention of mixing it in with yours. It would be like chalk and cheese, no comparison, lol. I had seen copper plates already with pin marks in them from other sites, hence my question of your resource, which I will add to the list to compare.

Dusek resurrected the brand with some important improvements, but the whole series of kits really needs to be taken back to the start, redesigned, updated and reengineered. The metal castings need to be remodeled and new molds made, instructions rewritten and put into some reasonably logical, easy to follow order, and especially their approach to hull planking totally overhauled. A novice plunging into one of their kits is in for a rude awakening, and perhaps a life altering experience, possibly being disabused of the notion of ever trying to build a wood ship model from a kit ever again! I speak from personal experience. But perhaps being a glutton for punishment, I am now on my third Mamoli build. A word to the wise: Mamoli kits are for experienced kit bashers and/or scratch builders.?

Pete
I totally agree. The Victory was my 4th kit and all my three other Manila kits had errors to overcome. The best was the HMS Bounty. I am now working on the Corel version of the Vasa and what a mess! The instructions are poorly written and full of typos. The dimensions of wood parts shown on the plans do not agree with the actual dimensions (example: gun port channel mtl) and some of the castings do not appear to replicate what is on the original ship. This will be an interesting challenge.

This seems to be an endemic problem with European kits going back to the 70s and 80s without being updated. Seems like they never actually built the models from one of their kits as marketed. More recent kit producers internationally, with the aid of modern technology and computers, everything from CAD, virtual construction, to the computer-controlled manufacture of parts, milling, lasers and 3-D printing, seem to be doing much better. Not to mention computer assisted translations. There really is no excuse for poor kit production and design any longer. The old Model Shipways kits in the yellow boxes (and some other makers long since defunct) were of better overall quality going back to the late 40s and early 50s, if you liked carving. Even pre-spiled laser cut planks are an improvement by magnitudes of time saved, accuracy achieved and hair tearing frustration eliminated!
The Amati kits I've built and seen seem to be something of an exception.

Last edited:
Good morning Y.T. I wanted to ask you about the manufacturer of your 1/75 small boats, one looks like de Master Korabel, but the bigger one I'm not able to tell.

Kind regards

Eduardo Tubino

Good morning Y.T. I wanted to ask you about the manufacturer of your 1/75 small boats, one looks like de Master Korabel, but the bigger one I'm not able to tell.

Kind regards

Eduardo Tubino

Good question, Eduardo. Now I do not know myself who was a manufacturer of a larger boat. I remember it also was a Russian Federation made kit. Probably also a Master Korbel?

Back