HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Hello Grant, somehow, I've not checked in on your build since early last December. Wow how time flies, and your ship is among the best on this forum my friend! I see your getting close to the finish line. She's beautiful!
Good morning Daniel. Thank you very much for such a compliment . My craftsmanship and woodwork finishing is a developing skill and I think the magnitude of Grant Victory certainly overshadows my limitations. Non the less I am having a blast building her and I enjoy the outcome of my endeavours.
Cheers Grant

Hey Grant great stuff happening and mindboggling perfection. Phenomenal achievements by you. It's a pleasure trying to keep up with your updates. Are you intending on replacing any fuzzy rigging with new rope? just asking :) - Cheers.

Hey Grant great stuff happening and mindboggling perfection. Phenomenal achievements by you. It's a pleasure trying to keep up with your updates. Are you intending on replacing any fuzzy rigging with new rope? just asking :) - Cheers.
Good morning and Thanks. No more redo’s:). The fuzzy ropes are totally light dependant. Where I plan to place my model in my pub it is out of direct sunlight and the ropes show no fuzzyness. To redo any rigging now would be impossible- for meROTF Cheers Grant

So your not going to NIKE it! Fair enough, it's a masterpiece as is - Cheers Beer
Good morning. Thanks- I always appreciate your input- no no Nike. Here are pics of my lines without the direct sunlight. It’s 11am and a beautiful day so probably more bright than it’s display area. I have taken pics of the lines which I sometimes see a little fuzz when the pics are taken with the sunlight behind. BFBD2F15-45B3-48DC-84B6-E8F6C4638DAD.jpegE5E57F40-EA53-4954-B43F-53ACDCCC2865.jpegBDBD7C33-8E53-495D-891E-F12340D14165.jpegFC9D4D1C-539D-431A-89DC-8602345466ED.jpegCE3978F6-E2FA-477C-9EC2-3B46982D73F5.jpeg0006276E-B681-4F18-A8AF-47B7FC467303.jpegD3CD1B78-6F04-4A43-ABD2-8BC64FADFEA0.jpeg468609E6-B575-4D54-9BA1-6A05A4432219.jpegWhich lines are you referring to as if they are easy to replace and are too fuzzy I will do this? The natural lines are not kit lines and do cost a little. Cheers Grant

Good morning.

I am going to do my remaining ships boats as shown in Harlands book.
View attachment 352707View attachment 352708View attachment 352710

I have just placed them and am preparing the tie down. I am still working on these two so loads of painting and detail to go.

What do you think of this layout?
Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. I like the different kind of layouts of the little boats: hanging, standing, stacked …… that’s a pleasure for the eyes.
Regards, Peter

Good morning.

I am going to do my remaining ships boats as shown in Harlands book.
View attachment 352707View attachment 352708View attachment 352710

I have just placed them and am preparing the tie down. I am still working on these two so loads of painting and detail to go.

What do you think of this layout?
Cheers Grant
It looks like in the depiction the seats have been removed so the smaller launch can snuggle inside the larger boat. What are your thoughts? Or maybe the depiction is in error?

Also, should the two boats be located on the starboard side instead of the port side? It looks like the hanging boat came from the port side. This isn't really a critique, just a question. I know you've done some exquisite work and research concerning this build.

Looks like you are doing a great job on your first build. I built the same model when it was SERGAL BACK IN 1976.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting your step-by-step instructions for this build. I know that it is not an easy thing to be continually interrupting your work to do this.

Also, should the two boats be located on the starboard side instead of the port side? It looks like the hanging boat came from the port side. This isn't really a critique, just a question. I know you've done some exquisite work and research concerning this build.
There is some controversy about there being hanging boats. Some references show no davits at all. However, on my Victory, I did put them on.

Last edited:
Daniel, do you really think that modelers who are trying to build a model according to the original are crazy?
Victory has been rebuilt so many times that there really is no original left of the ship. Really no one knows for sure what the original ship looked like. Any model built today is just an interpretation of what they think it looked like.

I would advise you to pick up a copy of Longridge's book. In it, he explains the four-step butt-planking method for the deck. Page 121.

Last edited:
Back