HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Hi Grant. Those buoys look SO good as does the rest of Grant's Victory. You can have more than one celebratory whiskey - one for the buoys, one for the fact that you resisted temptation and plenty more because it's New Year in Melkbosstrand!
Good afternoon in 2023 to you Heinrich. Thanks- I do like how they came out - look cool on my shrouds. We had a great Melkbosstrand NY.
Just gotta love these little whateveryoumightcallits.
Since I'm currently trying to assemble a couple of dories, I now know intimately what a nasty little buggers they are to build.
So kudos or your sloepen, nice work.
Thanks Johan- they are fun to make these little boats. The tiny detail… well I’m still getter there with that.
And may 2023 be a year of making terrific memories.
…oh yes we are going to make 2023 magic! May it be to you and your family as well. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon. I finally had some peace and quiet this morning and continued with my port quarter Davits.

I am going to display the port side in the inboard position, while the starboard will be launching my Pinnace.

The guys and Jackstays and tackle being attached :

90E00E03-9BC3-4610-B7E5-0750C067465B.jpegCB701565-A1FE-4BDE-8CCB-3B1421A0E989.jpeg
The tackle is hooked onto the Davit in its “stored” position.

The guys are attached to the hull while the Jack stay holds the Davits in position. A sling attached to the topping lift is used to lower and raise the Davits.

Some pics:
D28BE03E-E15F-4376-A687-1BB094B0E909.jpeg93B7E9D6-86A8-4E04-A436-A493BE43E0E8.jpeg19D3D2F1-4680-4B55-BD05-F48DB6245BE9.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good afternoon. I finally had some peace and quiet this morning and continued with my port quarter Davits.

I am going to display the port side in the inboard position, while the starboard will be launching my Pinnace.

The guys and Jackstays and tackle being attached :

View attachment 348855View attachment 348856
The tackle is hooked onto the Davit in its “stored” position.

The guys are attached to the hull while the Jack stay holds the Davits in position. A sling attached to the topping lift is used to lower and raise the Davits.

Some pics:
View attachment 348857View attachment 348858View attachment 348859
Cheers Grant
Good morning Grant. It’s looking nice. And the ‘pictures points of view‘ are great. :) Something different is fun.
Regards, Peter

Howzit Grant, just catching up with your model now. At 126 pages and counting, 'catching up' is quite a task ROTF

Anyway, as usual, your work is outstanding and Grant's Victory is coming along in leaps and bounds! I hope your had a great Christmas and New Year and I particularly liked the presents your kids gave you, you must have raised them well :)

Looking forward to your continued progress in 2023, and spare a few thoughts (in silence maybe) for our hapless cricket team who are about to be put under the hammer again here in Aus this morning :confused:

Howzit Grant, just catching up with your model now. At 126 pages and counting, 'catching up' is quite a task ROTF

Anyway, as usual, your work is outstanding and Grant's Victory is coming along in leaps and bounds! I hope your had a great Christmas and New Year and I particularly liked the presents your kids gave you, you must have raised them well :)

Looking forward to your continued progress in 2023, and spare a few thoughts (in silence maybe) for our hapless cricket team who are about to be put under the hammer again here in Aus this morning :confused:
Good afternoon Mark. Thanks. Yip our cricket boys have been given a “pakslap” by the Aussies this whole series. The Aussies are a very good side, but something is amiss with the SA boys. Cheers Grant

Good morning Grant. It’s looking nice. And the ‘pictures points of view‘ are great. :) Something different is fun.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Thank you.
Happy New Year! Ship is beautiful!
Good morning Dean...(the pool man ROTF ). Happy new year to you. Thank you very much. Cheers Grant

Grant, your Victory is looking magnificent! I'm guessing you haven't that much to go now, so make sure you enjoy the ride all the way to the end :)
Good morning Mark. Thanks. There is still quite a lot of work to do re the Stern cabins, ship boats and tons of "fettling" to do. Still away off before the big "complete" can added to my log title.
Cheers Grant

And unobtrusively, Grant's Victory has reached the 100 000-views mark. Congratulations my friend on a job exceedingly well done!
Good morning Heinrich. Who would have thought…o_O. The Interaction from the guys on SOS is a special feature to my model building experience. Their guidance, encouragement and help is truely appreciated. Friends have been made and so much concern, fun and banter is shared.:D
…and I get to see a one of a kind ship like an oak WB being made….
Because it's not just a model, but a novel :) or, better to say, a serial.
Good morning Vladimir. Thank you. At times I think it reads more like a comic. ;). I am “writing” the final chapter and has Been a fun journey. Thank you for your help along the way.
100,000 - a reflection of an excellent build by an accomplished builder.
Good morning Roger. On reflection it is like…no way! I am having a blast building this ship, flaws and all, and really enjoy the interaction from everyone here. Thank you for the compliment I really appreciate it.

Cheers Grant

Good morning. The Dakar rally is on. It is one of my favorite sporting events ever. It does take away from my early morning Victory time tho. There are 3 guys I know (they used to race Motocross with my son) Ross Branch, Micheal Docherty and Charan Moore so I have a personal interest in this test of human determination and endurance. It is legendary.

Anyway- starboard sheet and bow anchors done.

447EC429-0544-4FA3-9143-25EE949B7613.jpegFD613D80-C9DA-4D6C-B50E-9299CDF082CD.jpeg6A99863A-1A49-46AD-870C-ACA98DCC60EB.jpeg
Cheers Grant

The anchors look brilliant my friend - just looking at the last picture, I am so glad I do not have close to that many ratlines awaiting me.
Good morning Heinrich. Dankie Mnr. Thanks for reminding me ROTF.Ratlines not my favorite job, if I remember over 2000 clove hitches done- Eish. You will be grateful there are far less on your WB. It is one of the reasons I am building a Xebec next- no rating up or downROTF
She looks magnificent. The close ups are a testimony for your eye for detail.
Good morning Herman. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Cheers Grant

Good morning.

My progress on the Starboard quarter Davits. As mentioned previously my PS are rigged in the stowed position while my Starboard side is busy launching my Pinnace.

It is very bright in my pub today so pics are over exposed a tad. Once I have tied off the tackle and levelled the Pinnace I will send better pic’s tomorrow morning.
CD27813F-5F15-4B33-9838-0E74B665618B.jpeg85723D79-A4A0-4309-AAAC-439ED71FB628.jpegD39B1147-E2BD-4584-BD4A-B21B68456EA9.jpeg

Cheers Grant

Back