HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Hello Grant. Let's start with the toes - nice, firm and anchored to the ground - good toes. Next the skylight: That looks superb - I am just wondering what we are going to about a glass simulation for the skylight? CA Glue: I told you to lay off that stuff! ROTF Lastly your dirt bike - I have too little knowledge on motorbikes - let alone dirt bikes - other than to say it certainly looks the part and ready for action! And as far as whether you are ready for the action? Leave the CA at home, stuff those toes into a proper pair of boots and let's go!!!

Hello Grant. Let's start with the toes - nice, firm and anchored to the ground - good toes. Next the skylight: That looks superb - I am just wondering what we are going to about a glass simulation for the skylight? CA Glue: I told you to lay off that stuff! ROTF Lastly your dirt bike - I have too little knowledge on motorbikes - let alone dirt bikes - other than to say it certainly looks the part and ready for action! And as far as whether you are ready for the action? Leave the CA at home, stuff those toes into a proper pair of boots and let's go!!!
ROTFROTFROTF Thanks Heinrich. Got you...o_O CA glue needs to be outlawed.

That handrail is a stroke of genius!
Tried to form a handrail with copper once, not anywhere near straight.

On this fine South African morning I am stumped.o_O. I decided to finally pluck up the courage and work on my stern cabin. The problem child for all modelers working with Mantua Victory kits(from the logs I have viewed)

I worked the lumps of brass provided with my dremmel and needle file and got some shape into them and clean up those which where ok.

Using photo below I attempted my first fine art project in my life. There is a sort of resemblance to the Portsmouth Victory stern decoration ROTFCautious . I soaked the brass in pool acid ( don’t take my advice on this but it works) for 5min, applied tamiya primer for metal (spray bottle) And used Tamiya acrylic gloss to paint the colors. The decorations which are the same color as the ship are Matt. Only gloss paint going on my Victory. Not a gloss fan.

ED64FD30-78E9-4474-BCD3-B29BF716BAD7.png

3C00D784-D2C3-40E4-BF53-75E71DBF8A35.jpeg

The red circle brass lumps I can do nothing about and cannot be used on my ship. They are simple and maybe @Dean62 will carve them for meROTFROTFROTF. I will give it a go.

Here is my stumping. When I put these against my stern cabin they are way too big! Like a 1:60 scale vs 1:78. I don’t get it. My skills are no where near @Dean62 or @dockattner or @Heinrich or @zoly99sask or @Daniel20 or @PT-2 ....can go on and on ;)to make these. The even more scary thing is my bow figure head is also way too big. Compare below photo to the above real ship. I have no idea. I guess my stern cabins and bow figure head will have to wait until I “figure” it out.:mad:.

7092A200-30A2-4BEE-BCAA-04407F1782BA.jpeg

That’s very odd the stern decoration is so out of scale. But you are in luck, because the Victory is a popular ship.
Go to
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/victoryparts
…you can buy Victory scaled parts.
DC820A22-1FC8-4C65-8FEE-B2152613A80B.jpeg
Looks much better than the kit provided piece. There are many pieces on the site you can buy, but it could get expensive. ;)
They have the figurehead, skylight, stove, stern decorations, etc.
All very high quality models!

Last edited:
Hi Dean. I did have a look at that site when this arose. They are very appealing. I will probably buy the figure head and the stern decoration as you showed. I hope they ship to SA. Is a problem getting parts wood etc for us. The others I am filing down and reworking and may get these right. Thanks for your feedback. Cheers

Hi Grant. That is a real bummer and particularly the Victory Emblem which is just unacceptably too big! I think @Dean62 gave you excellent advice with regards to Shapeways - let's just find out if they ship internationally. I agree to get the Victory Emblem and figure head - the rest you can all make or configure on your own. However, I can imagine how frustrating it must be to set your mind on something, get ready to do that piece of work for the day and then run into such obstacles through no fault of your own.

Hi Grant. That is a real bummer and particularly the Victory Emblem which is just unacceptably too big! I think @Dean62 gave you excellent advice with regards to Shapeways - let's just find out if they ship internationally. I agree to get the Victory Emblem and figure head - the rest you can all make or configure on your own. However, I can imagine how frustrating it must be to set your mind on something, get ready to do that piece of work for the day and then run into such obstacles through no fault of your own.
Hi Heinrich. These little things are there to be solved. Shapeways product will also be easier to paint and gives so much better detail so this is my route. Anyway this made my day yesterday and I am still pumped about it.
7ih3f0do_max-verstappen-afp_625x300_12_December_21.jpg

Shapeways does ship to SA- costs $84 +$34 dollars shipping fee. Hmm. My kit only cost $600. :rolleyes:.

About Max Verstappen - that was a blinder!!! - I'm so happy for him. And can you believe it that Mercedes now wants to go to appeal courts and gooness knows what ... well, actually, I can believe it...

With regards to the costs - it is on the expensive side, but hey, a man has to do what a man has to do!

About Max Verstappen - that was a blinder!!! - I'm so happy for him. And can you believe it that Mercedes now wants to go to appeal courts and gooness knows what ... well, actually, I can believe it...
Heavily disappointed with Mercedes’ and its staff. Expected a little more sportsmanship…

Back