HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good evening. Not much work on my Victory lately. I have been a naughty lad and playing with my Xebec.

What I have decided however is not to stack the boats. I prefer this layout :
757451B4-D040-4C9F-AE31-2B462CFFBDE4.jpeg

I have been fettling here and there and what I most certainly and am going to do is redo the main entrance on each side. I don’t like the Mantua design and most certainly do not enjoy my shabby paint job.
AFB627E5-08E5-4E0F-8380-9EBA634BC599.jpeg

I don’t enjoy 3D printed parts (feel like cheating) however I have ordered some from Shspeways. They are way more accurate and will solve my “Eish I can’t stand those” moments when I work on her.

1B38A799-AFF5-42C0-9348-D785B245B43E.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good evening. Not much work on my Victory lately. I have been a naughty lad and playing with my Xebec.

View attachment 354483

I have been fettling here and there and what I most certainly and am going to do is redo the main entrance on each side. I don’t like the Mantua design and most certainly do not enjoy my shabby paint job.
View attachment 354484

I don’t enjoy 3D printed parts (feel like cheating) however I have ordered some from Shspeways. They are way more accurate and will solve my “Eish I can’t stand those” moments when I work on her.

View attachment 354485
Cheers Grant
Hi Grant.
I hope you do not damage your Victory getting the old main entrance off.

View attachment 354483

View attachment 354484

View attachment 354485
Cheers Grant
Unfortunately, there's only one possible solution to the "eish"-issue: redo-time. Good luck, Grant!

Hi Grant.
I hope you do not damage your Victory getting the old main entrance off.
Good morning Martin. True story. This is something I am going to have to do some research into softening the glue and try be super careful. It would be a sad day if I en up making it worse. Cheers Grant.
It's those "nagging" little things that beg to be changed. One lead to another and then ......
Good morning Jan. True story. There are many little Eish things on Grants Victory however those entrances are my true bugbears. It will be the only redo tho. The rest just some paint fixes and minor fettling.
Unfortunately, there's only one possible solution to the "eish"-issue: redo-time. Good luck, Grant!
Good morning Johan- no doubt. It’s a monsterROTF
I agree 100% with the way of displaying the boats, Grant. That looks far neater, and each can be viewed more clearly. I am sure the reworked entrances will look splendid,
Good morning Heinrich. Thank you. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the little cutter tho- maybe it’s on shore by the pub already;)

Cheers Grant

Good morning
I deviate a little however there is a modelling connection.

We spent the last few days at my buddy’s beautiful home Simonstown. These are my off-road riding friends who are crazy - a laugh a minute (an and some views of the infamous false bay- many a ships downfall).
FA822CE3-D23B-475C-BCF4-579627CDCC96.jpeg51D58636-55F0-40C3-8DDA-10CF1014D1EE.jpegD72983E9-360F-425B-889E-7C11C1B11B17.jpeg

Modelling connection- the short bald guy in the pic, Jeff, owns a glass manufacturing company and he is going to make a display case for my Victory- so cool:D.

In the mean time the Admiral consented for me to move my Victory onto the lounge as my shipyard is getting dusty:
C0B8FBC1-797B-4DAA-9AFC-94CC3AAC758F.jpeg244F9BA1-B5B3-457C-B411-1E9D35672FEA.jpeg
DF734403-C0F3-4558-A578-CB63A7A6399C.jpeg
Display case, redo main entrance ways and some railing decorations is all that is left to do. The end of this journey is approaching.

Cheers Grant

Good morning

We spent the last few days at my buddy’s beautiful home Simonstown. These are my off-road riding friends who are crazy - a laugh a minute (an and some views of the infamous false bay- many a ships downfall).
View attachment 355654View attachment 355655View attachment 355656

Modelling connection- the short bald guy in the pic, Jeff, owns a glass manufacturing company and he is going to make a display case for my Victory- so cool:D.

In the mean time the Admiral consented for me to move my Victory onto the lounge as my shipyard is getting dusty:
View attachment 355658View attachment 355659
View attachment 355657
Display case, redo main entrance ways and some railing decorations is all that is left to do. The end of this journey is approaching.

Cheers Grant
Stunning Grant ! I love the view and company , I would have to be there and enjoy a ‘Braai’ , take care Rob

Good morning

View attachment 355657

Cheers Grant
The Anthony Gadd painting on the back ground is amazing and your beautiful model is well suited , well done Grant

Oh Boy, Grant. You have made an old man very happy and very sad! Very happy to see those beautiful views and the obvious camaraderie that you share with your friends. (Love the Salomon T-Shirt by the way - I can only wear Salomon shoes). But ... sad that I cannot enjoy those views anymore. The last time I have stood next to the ocean was probably 9 or 10 years ago.

The Victory's final dock is simply beautiful! I can only echo everything that has been said about your build. You have created a phenomenal model and you can be so very proud of her. Congratulations, my friend!

Good morning

View attachment 355657

Cheers Grant
Grant's Victory in front of that painting: a masterstroke, it couldn't be more fitting.

Oh Boy, Grant. You have made an old man very happy and very sad! Very happy to see those beautiful views and the obvious camaraderie that you share with your friends. (Love the Salomon T-Shirt by the way - I can only wear Salomon shoes). But ... sad that I cannot enjoy those views anymore. The last time I have stood next to the ocean was probably 9 or 10 years ago.

The Victory's final dock is simply beautiful! I can only echo everything that has been said about your build. You have created a phenomenal model and you can be so very proud of her. Congratulations, my friend!
Hi Grant, that is an incredible display of “Grant’s Victory “.
Grant's Victory in front of that painting: a masterstroke, it couldn't be more fitting.
Good morning. Thanks Heinrich, Jan and Johan.
Stunning Grant ! I love the view and company , I would have to be there and enjoy a ‘Braai’ , take care Rob
Thanks Rob. We did have a sunset braai over looking false bay. Was a beautiful Cape Town evening and a special time with my mates. The only sad thing was Jeff’s son was emigrating to your part of the world. SA is loosing a lot of young skills to Australia at the moment. Cheers Grant

What a beautiful ship Grant! And I like the picture behind it. ;) You have done an outstanding job on her! I can’t imagine the Admiral giving you a hard time about displaying it anywhere in the house!
Good morning Dean. It is unfortunate that this spot will not be her permanent birth. I still need to wrap her up and do need to drag myself away from my Cazador and do those little things. Cheers Grant

Ahh Heinrich if only that would be the final docking. It is a temporary berth. I need to get one or two items including the display case and finish her. She does look awesome there though and even the Admiral enjoys it. Cheers Grant

Grant, your Victory is looking superb! I have been snowed under with work for weeks on end now that I struggle to find any spare time for my Fly, let alone keep up with all the build logs. But I thought I'd better check in on Grant's Victory as it might be near completion, which is appears to be. Is it? I really like where you have anchored her as well, particularly with that dramatic-sky picture in the background. I can already imagine how many times you'll be walking past your model in the future, pausing to double check that a line hasn't come loose or a belaying pin dislodged, but mostly I suspect you will be stopping to look and remember what a terrific ship-modelling journey it has been. Seriously well done bruThumbsup

Grant, your Victory is looking superb! I have been snowed under with work for weeks on end now that I struggle to find any spare time for my Fly, let alone keep up with all the build logs. But I thought I'd better check in on Grant's Victory as it might be near completion, which is appears to be. Is it? I really like where you have anchored her as well, particularly with that dramatic-sky picture in the background. I can already imagine how many times you'll be walking past your model in the future, pausing to double check that a line hasn't come loose or a belaying pin dislodged, but mostly I suspect you will be stopping to look and remember what a terrific ship-modelling journey it has been. Seriously well done bruThumbsup
For sure Dean , and why not ? looking at it walking past , it is just a piece of art , I also get appreciative comments from my CO

Back