HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Seeing this view of the entryway makes me wonder how successful you are going to be - the details are murky and may not take well to ANY approach. Maybe the photo flattened the details?
Hi Paul. Nope the photo almost enhances them a little. It is 100% to scale so they are minute. Sometimes 3D printing can cause as much consternation as pleasure. What ever happens they will be an improvement to the box from the kit I used- this is going to be fun. I have an idea though so will try something I have not yet seen in this hobby- hmmmRedface- I’m sure guys have done it before it can’t be that clever. I will post my attempts good or bad. Cheers Grant

Try to do it the other way round: colour it all with gold and then add a black wash to enhance the relief.
Good afternoon Vladimir. I agree, this is also what Paul suggests. I think either way painting will just be a mess- it’s way too small at my scale. I am going to try something I dreamt up so let’s see…..Cheers Grant

Took me a while to work my way through your build log but was well worth it. You have done a magnificent job of it. Hard to believe it's your first ship , it just looks perfect.
By comparison my first is looking terrible. I have a long way to go.
Good afternoon Greg. Thank you. It was an incredibly fun journey and it is getting close to the end. It is “Grants Victory” as it has so many inaccuracies and blunders however I did modify the kit on almost every aspect to look a little like the real ship. An awesome model to build. Cheers Grant

I have heard of folks who use "PAD Printing" where you spread your highlight color thinly on glass or other hard flat surface and then gently lay or press the object to be colored into the ink, only the edge touches the hard painted surface and transfers.

Think of how they get ink on fingers to make fingerprints.

Try to do it the other way round: colour it all with gold and then add a black wash to enhance the relief.
I’m going to have to agree with this approach. Paint it gold, then thin your black paint ( 1 part paint and 3 parts water, for water based paint), then brush on and let it run into the crevices. It will take many coats of the black wash, but eventually you will get the look you are after. It’s not hard at all. Just don’t put on the gold too thick, or you will lose the detail.

Good morning. I know painting is out of the question for my skills. The raised parts are so slight and even magnified I cannot establish the pattern let alone get black into the gaps if I painted the gold first.

So I attempted gold leaf- ROTF. I thought I got the adhesive on the raised patterns. We know what thought did…..
A03F10D7-73C8-4E4D-8212-27F3240B6F09.jpegFCF1C45B-5795-4294-B48C-D65FF95C6019.jpeg
4B35A9EE-7AC4-49E8-99CA-0BA0F1145179.jpeg

I know it looks better than my painting would come out, however hot water, remove this attempt and try again. Man this gold leaf is fiddly stuff:D.
Cheers Grant

OK THAT DIDNT WORK ROTF . Even worse is the gold leaf did not come off when soaked in hot water and the heat warped the 3D plastic…:rolleyes:. Oh well I have to get the port side so I will have to get two more now.

I have dry fitted the sad looking entrance way so long…..It is an improvement of the original Mantua parts and my painting tho.
2733F5E1-9DB7-4FE3-A7FD-110DBCFA3C04.jpeg
B2631F69-93AC-492D-8906-462209C20565.jpeg0C8A6D65-C61D-41FB-A734-B26867B78A8A.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good morning. I know painting is out of the question for my skills. The raised parts are so slight and even magnified I cannot establish the pattern let alone get black into the gaps if I painted the gold first.

So I attempted gold leaf- ROTF. I thought I got the adhesive on the raised patterns. We know what thought did…..
View attachment 373829View attachment 373830
View attachment 373831

I know it looks better than my painting would come out, however hot water, remove this attempt and try again. Man this gold leaf is fiddly stuff:D.
Cheers Grant
Hey Grant, you might try dry brushing, there is a bit of a learning curve to it but in your particular situation it may be perfect. Reasearch it because it's a little too long to describe it in a nutshell. Only the higher relief parts will take on the dry brush paint.

Hello Grant, I may be talking out-of-turn here, but Regarding the paint detail concern - have you given any thought to possibly using a water-based Artists Masking Fluid? It has a color to it so you can see the raised portion where it is rubbed off allowing the gold paint to adhere to only those points. Just a thought :)
BTW, Beautiful work. Terry

Grant, you shouldn't be afraid to paint. The wash technique is very forgiving. The paint is thinned out to the point it runs into the crevices like water, therefore you don't have to paint good, just brush across the entire surface and the paint runs into the low areas...and off the high areas! Be sure to do one surface at a time and keep that surface facing up, so the paint doesn't run out of the low areas before it dries. But because it is thinned out enough to flow like water, it will just highlight the low areas, until you do it a couple of times... and it gets darker each time. I hope that makes sense. You are not trying to painstakingly paint the low areas, the paint runs into them and does the work for you! ;)

Hey Grant, you might try dry brushing, there is a bit of a learning curve to it but in your particular situation it may be perfect. Reasearch it because it's a little too long to describe it in a nutshell. Only the higher relief parts will take on the dry brush paint.
Hello Grant, I may be talking out-of-turn here, but Regarding the paint detail concern - have you given any thought to possibly using a water-based Artists Masking Fluid? It has a color to it so you can see the raised portion where it is rubbed off allowing the gold paint to adhere to only those points. Just a thought :)
BTW, Beautiful work. Terry
Grant, you shouldn't be afraid to paint. The wash technique is very forgiving. The paint is thinned out to the point it runs into the crevices like water, therefore you don't have to paint good, just brush across the entire surface and the paint runs into the low areas...and off the high areas! Be sure to do one surface at a time and keep that surface facing up, so the paint doesn't run out of the low areas before it dries. But because it is thinned out enough to flow like water, it will just highlight the low areas, until you do it a couple of times... and it gets darker each time. I hope that makes sense. You are not trying to painstakingly paint the low areas, the paint runs into them and does the work for you! ;)
Good morning Dean, Daniel and Koch. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate help and advice especially on those areas where I am pretty clueless. I will get some practice surfaces and try these different techniques and hopefully I will get it reasonable in order finish my Victory :D . Cheers Grant

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me Grant ,but at the scale you are working at your entrance looks pretty good to me as it is.

Cheers JJ..
Good morning Jack. Thank you. I also think it doesn’t look bad….I just wanted better. I have to get the port side entrance (they short supplied my order) ,so will get another starboard one and give it another go. Maybe some more practice may render a little bit better result. Cheers Grant

Dear Friends. As you know Grant and I met up last night in Melkbosstrand, South Africa. Obviously, the HMS Victory was a major talking point and let me tell you - seeing her in the flesh is a totally different ballgame than seeing it on pictures. There is simply nothing that prepares you for the size and magnificence of this ship - especially when rigged to the extent that Grant has gone to. I am no photographer (as you all well know) but thought I would share with you my favorite views of the ship.

微信图片_20230721223957.jpg微信图片_20230721225610.jpg微信图片_20230721224006.jpg微信图片_20230721225618.jpg
The last picture is, of course, Grant's infamous underwear pic so famously displayed. Ashtyn (Grant's daughter) had never noticed that before and upon me pointing it out, immediately declared that as "the coolest part of the build." ROTF

Dear Friends. As you know Grant and I met up last night in Melkbosstrand, South Africa. Obviously, the HMS Victory was a major talking point and let me tell you - seeing her in the flesh is a totally different ballgame than seeing it on pictures. There is simply nothing that prepares you for the size and magnificence of this ship - especially when rigged to the extent that Grant has gone to. I am no photographer (as you all well know) but thought I would share with you my favorite views of the ship.

View attachment 385952View attachment 385960View attachment 385961View attachment 385962
The last picture is, of course, Grant's infamous underwear pic so famously displayed. Ashtyn (Grant's daughter) had never noticed that before and upon me pointing it out, immediately declared that as "the coolest part of the build." ROTF
What a beautiful display - especially with the seascape picture in the background! Would have loved to be the "Third wheel" with the two of you!

Hello Heinrich, your joy at meeting up with Grant and especially having a close up view of his excellent build is reflected in your post and photos. You have done his Victory proud. I also previously missed the underwear picture so had a good chuckle.

(Grant: you missed taking Heinrich surfing off that wonderful beach :D).

View attachment 385952View attachment 385960View attachment 385961View attachment 385962
What a coincidence, Heinrich. I just asked Grant if you met each other!
Great that us SoS members are traveling around the world and be hardly welcomed everywhere!
Regards, Peter

Back