HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Buongiorno alla ciurma, noto che manca qualche fonte di notizie base per le manovre (sartiame),provate questo libro The Masting and Rigging English of Ships è la bibbia dell'attrezzatura

Buongiorno alla ciurma, noto che manca qualche fonte di notizie base per le manovre (sartiame),provate questo libro The Masting and Rigging English of Ships è la bibbia dell'attrezzatura
Hi Frank- I’m going to have to run this somehow through google translate- my Italian is not that good- Ciao.

Man oh man! That is superbly ingenious and the result is spectacular! Very very well done Grant!
Thanks Heinrich. I am putting aside the “incredible serving machine “ until I can make a better one- the tension on the line is variable and to keep it consistent is difficult. Was fun tho. My blocks for my bowsprit stays arrived today so I will move back to that section and finish the standing rigging. May also try my hand at netting. Cheers

Good morning. I refer @Philski excellent serving machine he made on Marks @Nomad bluenose log. I will attempt to copy this once I have sourced the parts locally here in Capetown.

I’m mean time I made a “jury rigg” or a “Macgygerism” from LEGO I found in cupboard. No laughing guys....ROTF
View attachment 282132

My first shrouds on the Mizzen mast where served using this incredible machine.;) I used a measurement of 7mm length being the served portion so that it will be served down to the lower end of the Bibb. As each shroud is added this measurement will increase accordingly so all the shroud served sections fall equally at the lower end of the Bibb.

1mm thread was served with 0.25mm. All the tread is stained black with Indian ink. I then run the line through a flame on a candle quickly to try and remove the fuzz. I have not lashed the shroud to the mast yet as I am not sure at which point the lashings are done. The pattern of how the shrouds fit as they are layered on one each other means the placement of the lashing needs to be accurate from the first one. This I will find out.

The result:
View attachment 282136
Grant, that is the coolest serving machine I've ever seen!!! Love It.

Good morning. I refer @Philski excellent serving machine he made on Marks @Nomad bluenose log. I will attempt to copy this once I have sourced the parts locally here in Capetown.

I’m mean time I made a “jury rigg” or a “Macgygerism” from LEGO I found in cupboard. No laughing guys....ROTF
View attachment 282132

My first shrouds on the Mizzen mast where served using this incredible machine.;) I used a measurement of 7mm length being the served portion so that it will be served down to the lower end of the Bibb. As each shroud is added this measurement will increase accordingly so all the shroud served sections fall equally at the lower end of the Bibb.

1mm thread was served with 0.25mm. All the tread is stained black with Indian ink. I then run the line through a flame on a candle quickly to try and remove the fuzz. I have not lashed the shroud to the mast yet as I am not sure at which point the lashings are done. The pattern of how the shrouds fit as they are layered on one each other means the placement of the lashing needs to be accurate from the first one. This I will find out.

The result:
View attachment 282136
Ingenious Grant, absolutely ingenious Thumbsup

Worked on the bow section. My triangle blocks (AL) arrived so I was able to complete the standing rigging on the bowsprit. I used a needle file to make the holes bigger. Nothing new to my build process which was discussed before in my log so I will post some pictures.

Finished painting the figure head of the Victory and fitted with epoxy glue.

The netting was an impossible mission. Nothing worked. The kit netting is a plastic netting and is very slippery when sewing it on. On the My Victory I added the stanchions which the instructions did not include. This is more accurate.

2388700F-99D1-41F4-A9C9-97561ECD7403.jpeg68DCC3B6-6D42-417E-A7FE-D69F53BEA146.jpeg7B3575C8-EBA1-4002-B07F-E57C03970A1C.jpeg

Hello Grant. From the builds on the Dutch forum, I know that the netting on the galleon is very tricky to get right. It might have been impossible to work with, but your result looks very good. The stanchions are a nice touch which add detail. Also, I think you can be very happy with the way that your figure head turned out. Your Victory is looking beautiful my friend.

I can’t believe this is your first ship Grant!! Fantastic build - I especially like your descriptions of improving on aspects of the build where you have considered the Mantua kit was lacking. Innovation to improve our builds along the way significantly improves your ship and your modelling skills.

Well done!!

PeterG

Hello Grant. From the builds on the Dutch forum, I know that the netting on the galleon is very tricky to get right. It might have been impossible to work with, but your result looks very good. The stanchions are a nice touch which add detail. Also, I think you can be very happy with the way that your figure head turned out. Your Victory is looking beautiful my friend.
Hello Heinrich. Cheers my friend. I have been looking at how modelers here do the netting and it amazes me how each have their own method. I see many acquire new netting from anglers and fabric stores and I am not alone with this challenge. This is such an interesting hobby.:D

I can’t believe this is your first ship Grant!! Fantastic build - I especially like your descriptions of improving on aspects of the build where you have considered the Mantua kit was lacking. Innovation to improve our builds along the way significantly improves your ship and your modelling skills.

Well done!!

PeterG
Hello Peter. Thank you. The encouragement and advice from guys on SOS is the biggest motivation to keep improving the kit and my modeling. My only frustration is getting accessories here- takes forever or almost doubles the cost with import duty and courier fees. Appreciate your encouragement. Cheers

Worked on the boomkin stays- fitted the eyelets to the bow(I have used the more square shaped than rounded) , notched the end of each boomkin and served the stays to the eyelets. Rather than using a loop knot on the boomkin, I served the stays where they pass through the”notch” on each boomkin end. The stays held a better line this way and looked better.
5A8B6EC8-7427-45B4-855A-E3094A551A04.jpeg
My trimming needs improvement ROTF. Have sorted this.

Hello Frank- sorry for late reply. Finally got the translation . Yes thank you for this reference. I do need to buys some books for this ship and my rigging. Appreciate it. Cheers

Ciao Frank, scusa per la tardiva risposta. Finalmente ho la traduzione. Sì, grazie per questo riferimento. Devo comprare dei libri per questa nave e il mio sartiame. Apprezzalo. Saluti
Ciao Grant, i libri in merito alla nave di che argomenti devi comprare

Attachments

• 55555.jpg
    55555.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back