HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

The thing with taking on Victory as a first ship, means there is a much steeper learning curve than on a less challenging model. You are however, very much up to it - in fact you have nailed it. The upside is that what you have learnt is now acquired knowledge which makes the library in the mind so much more effective than the one in books.
Good morning Heinrich. Thank you.True story. At present my mind feels like a data base cache which needs to be tabled, sorted, cataloged,compiled, debugged etc etc;).Cheers Grant

Good morning. I thought it is time to try bring my log back into perspective again. I do jump around some. I am looking at 3 different kit plans for the rigging process my Mantua (very weak), a modified Heller and Caldercraft (most definitely the best in my opinion). Each differ.

I have been sent by @Frank48 , @Walterone and @WojtasS reading and research material (once again thanks guys!) which differs in detail from the kits mentioned. Many pages of reading- like over 1000. Going to take a while. Hopefully ship no 2 will be an accurate reflection and not another “Grants ship”ROTF.

I decided to try different rigging sequence for each mast to try and establish by trial and error which suites Grant. If I don’t try I won’t know.

All the areas of build:

4BFEF808-D9FC-40C2-88D6-A9EA203F625A.jpeg

The Mizzen: following all 3 kit sequence
Seat mast
Shrouds
Standing rigging (including ratlines)

Pretty much following the kits guideS and sequence.

The main mast:
I am going to rig the standing rigging to mast and all blocks etc first before I bring it all into ship and seat the mast.

The foremast : see what works best for me and maybe even a combination.
619026C0-626B-4C47-B12B-55C0CDEBB302.jpeg

In mean time I am working here and there on the yards and booms fitting blocks and stirrups and horse etc.
A8DEF611-F519-47A9-8FB0-626479FE5E49.jpeg
When I am rigged out I make the small boats, anchors, quarter Davits, modify lanterns from the kit etc.

96C76751-1890-4AB9-83D5-900DD639474F.jpeg
...and continue trying to get the absolutely horrid Mantua stern looking better.
E22D940B-0231-4E0D-9619-B81833B1E258.jpeg
I hope a little perspective to my jump around log is brought to you guys with this.

Cheers Grant

Good morning. I thought it is time to try bring my log back into perspective again. I do jump around some. I am looking at 3 different kit plans for the rigging process my Mantua (very weak), a modified Heller and Caldercraft (most definitely the best in my opinion). Each differ.

I have been sent by @Frank48 , @Walterone and @WojtasS reading and research material (once again thanks guys!) which differs in detail from the kits mentioned. Many pages of reading- like over 1000. Going to take a while. Hopefully ship no 2 will be an accurate reflection and not another “Grants ship”ROTF.

I decided to try different rigging sequence for each mast to try and establish by trial and error which suites Grant. If I don’t try I won’t know.

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:
I am going to rig the standing rigging to mast and all blocks etc first before I bring it all into ship and seat the mast.

View attachment 310506

In mean time I am working here and there on the yards and booms fitting blocks and stirrups and horse etc.
View attachment 310507
When I am rigged out I make the small boats, anchors, quarter Davits, modify lanterns from the kit etc.

View attachment 310505
...and continue trying to get the absolutely horrid Mantua stern looking better.
View attachment 310508
I hope a little perspective to my jump around log is brought to you guys with this.

Cheers Grant
Grant, hi. Good job. Allow me a remark. The steering loops are very short. The wheel will fall off. The lowest loop you have is nailed right to the keel. Need a little higher. Here is a drawing from Longridge's Anatomy
1653550453822.png

Grant, hi. Good job. Allow me a remark. The steering loops are very short. The wheel will fall off. The lowest loop you have is nailed right to the keel. Need a little higher. Here is a drawing from Longridge's Anatomy
View attachment 310510
Good Morning Sasha. Yes I do see that. Thank you. Unfortunately so much of my Victory, especially in the beginning stages was built 100% according to the kit instructions and it is full of inaccuracies. I would be fearful to change all the inaccuracies as I think I may just mess up what I built. I appreciate posts like yours as they certainly give me understanding for my next build which I hope to give an accurate representation of the ship I choose. I will most definitely buy a good reference like your Longridge on the Victory, prior to even buying the kit to start reading. Cheers Grant

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:

View attachment 310506

View attachment 310507

View attachment 310505
View attachment 310508

Cheers Grant
Wow, Grant. That is a huge amount of items to install and be rigged. I am following a Dutch guy on the Dutch forum, also building the Victory. He has done the standing rigging and is now installing the sails. So, I know what is waiting for you. But what I see till now, you will make it!
And when you have managed the two-tweezer techniques, the making of the ratlines is more easy. Because you can’t pull hard with the tweezers on the line.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:

View attachment 310506

View attachment 310507

View attachment 310505
View attachment 310508

Cheers Grant
Ordered desk, ordered mind :) It's all coming together very well Grant despite all the conflicting info and instructions you need to sift through. To my untrained eye it looks like a work of art and well on its way to being a superb model. I only hope I can be there when you swing the bubbly into her hull and launch her from the shores of Melkbosstrand! Thumbsup

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:

View attachment 310506

View attachment 310507

View attachment 310505
View attachment 310508

Cheers Grant
Beautiful work, it's looking magnificent and with your additional rigging touches it will be a sight to behold.
Loving the dining table workbench, my workspace is the same but for some reason the admiral complains about all these glue spots on the table "I see nothing"ROTFROTF

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:

View attachment 310506

View attachment 310507

View attachment 310505
View attachment 310508

Cheers Grant
Very precise and beautiful modeled parts! I can't say anything about historical accuracy, but your model, despite all assumed or factual deviations, is a looker. Top job!

Good morning and thank you @Nomad , @RDN1954 and @Richie . Mark I think the bubbles are a way off....this rigging is not my forte (I don’t know what is....OH, Downhill MTB and dirtbikesROTF) and takes a while.

Richie I borrowed the dinning room from Arlene (Admiral) to take some photos. Arlene would ban me from this hobby if I used the dinning room. I’m not very tidy- the pub is my shipyard ( at least the whiskey is close by ;).

Johann I am struggling a tad with some of the rigging. Cut off my lower Futtock shrouds and starves and I am redoing them. The knots onto the starve just looked to big and like blobs. I think I use too much CA Glue to seal my knots as I found out when attempting the removal.

Thanks guys. Cheers Grant

Good morning and thank you @Nomad , @RDN1954 and @Richie . Mark I think the bubbles are a way off....this rigging is not my forte (I don’t know what is....OH, Downhill MTB and dirtbikesROTF) and takes a while.

Richie I borrowed the dinning room from Arlene (Admiral) to take some photos. Arlene would ban me from this hobby if I used the dinning room. I’m not very tidy- the pub is my shipyard ( at least the whiskey is close by ;).

Johann I am struggling a tad with some of the rigging. Cut off my lower Futtock shrouds and starves and I am redoing them. The knots onto the starve just looked to big and like blobs. I think I use too much CA Glue to seal my knots as I found out when attempting the removal.

Thanks guys. Cheers Grant
You MTB? have you ridden the Argus Cape town tour/event?

You MTB? have you ridden the Argus Cape town tour/event?
Good Morning. I have done 5, a long time ago, but on a road bike. My Mountain bike riding is on Enduro and downhill trails/tracks. (Shuttle up the hill and then ride down and try not come off ROTF) Not much of a road or cross country rider. If you enjoy MTB cross country riding and ever come here to Cape Town, The Wine to Whales is a beautiful 3 day stage race. I have done this (Can be hot, when I rode we had temps of 40.C) but I don't enjoy 4hrs a day in the saddle even though you are riding through beautiful terrain - although it is more enjoyable riding than most event as has more single track.. If you are super fit and talented then the Cape Epic is for you - international professionals etc all race this....an insane event 4 days. Cheers Grant

Good Morning. I have done 5, a long time ago, but on a road bike. My Mountain bike riding is on Enduro and downhill trails/tracks. (Shuttle up the hill and then ride down and try not come off ROTF) Not much of a road or cross country rider. If you enjoy MTB cross country riding and ever come here to Cape Town, The Wine to Whales is a beautiful 3 day stage race. I have done this (Can be hot, when I rode we had temps of 40.C) but I don't enjoy 4hrs a day in the saddle even though you are riding through beautiful terrain - although it is more enjoyable riding than most event as has more single track.. If you are super fit and talented then the Cape Epic is for you - international professionals etc all race this....an insane event 4 days. Cheers Grant
Good evening Grant I did a special trip to Cape Town for the 2020 Argus event. It was a fantastic ride, truly loved and enjoyed it, the riders, the masses cheering and the views were stunning. (a bit intimidated when baboons crossed in front of me) Should the opportunity ever arise again I will return for more than the one road bike ride. Gave up MTB after many years because too many trees were jumping out to hug me and holes desperately tried to devour my front wheel. I think after all this time My heart is still in Cape Town. I miss it. Did safari, shark cage dive, many treks around Table mountain etc. but the biggest issue in the Western Cape is "too many vineyards, Too little time and too little me to taste them all" I landed back in NZ 10 minutes before the borders closed due to COVID our first serious lockdown. Cheers. PS you should ride up avoid the shuttle ROTF

Good evening Grant I did a special trip to Cape Town for the 2020 Argus event. It was a fantastic ride, truly loved and enjoyed it, the riders, the masses cheering and the views were stunning. (a bit intimidated when baboons crossed in front of me) Should the opportunity ever arise again I will return for more than the one road bike ride. Gave up MTB after many years because too many trees were jumping out to hug me and holes desperately tried to devour my front wheel. I think after all this time My heart is still in Cape Town. I miss it. Did safari, shark cage dive, many treks around Table mountain etc. but the biggest issue in the Western Cape is "too many vineyards, Too little time and too little me to taste them all" I landed back in NZ 10 minutes before the borders closed due to COVID our first serious lockdown. Cheers. PS you should ride up avoid the shuttle ROTF
Cape Town is a special place for sure. Sounds like you had an outstanding time here.Thumbsup

While we are deviating from the Victory :
Calvin Vlaanderen a young South African (now racing under the Dutch Federation) won his first MX GP in Italy last week. He went 1:1 to claim the Grand Prix Victory. The first non factory rider to win a GP since the 1990’s and the first South African since Greg Albertine in the 1980’s.

The reason for my post is Calvin is my best friend Paul (another Paul, another Dutchmen;)) son who grew up with my son and they raced together. My sons best friend and is part of my family so to speak. Calvin left for Europe to follow his racing dream some years ago and lived in a factory sleeping on the floor- to now world championship racing with the Dutch Yamaha Gebben Van Venrooy satellite team and winning a GP. He also won the MX of Nations trophy with the Dutch team in 2020. An amazing grounded and wonderful young man.
98DFD4C1-0AA3-436C-897B-6D2E60899242.jpegBAF7483B-C0CE-4322-AD8D-86C7BEF25D8E.jpeg2AE5896E-5050-4B9C-BCE0-58D4BFABC7BB.jpeg
Ps in South Africa we do a “Bootey” not a shoey- eat your heart out Daniel RicciardoROTF.

Cheers Grant

All the areas of build:

View attachment 310509

Seat mast
Shrouds

The main mast:

View attachment 310506

View attachment 310507

View attachment 310505
View attachment 310508

Cheers Grant
Beautiful work grant! ;)

Back