HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good evening Ian. True story- we just need to stay on two wheels now days -We don’t pick ourselves up so well no more. :rolleyes:. Cheers Grant
True that motor or no motor, start racing bikes(non motor) on road and velodrome at 50, managed to stay out of serious trouble till a fall last year set me back and the recovery continues so for now I navigate in rally cars and I have a cage around me, much safer ROTF o_O

True that motor or no motor, start racing bikes(non motor) on road and velodrome at 50, managed to stay out of serious trouble till a fall last year set me back and the recovery continues so for now I navigate in rally cars and I have a cage around me, much safer ROTF o_O
Good morning Richie. That is awesome ,not the “off” the fact that as “Topies”- SA term for old dudes, we still have that adrenaline chase to race. Quick story my younger brother was a roadie pro in SA until a car hit him - coma for 6 months grade 5 brain injury. He has miraculously recovered to lead a pretty normal life and still rides and races socially. Two wheels - love it but we know the risks. Ralley cars sound brilliant. I follow Toby Price, (Mad Aussie fellow) Dakar champion, who I see also races off road ralley cars- more like a modified “truck” tho. Stay safe Richie Thumbsup

Very good work Grant. You are gaining a lot of experience doing this and it shows! Well done! Thumbsup

Good morning Richie. That is awesome ,not the “off” the fact that as “Topies”- SA term for old dudes, we still have that adrenaline chase to race. Quick story my younger brother was a roadie pro in SA until a car hit him - coma for 6 months grade 5 brain injury. He has miraculously recovered to lead a pretty normal life and still rides and races socially. Two wheels - love it but we know the risks. Ralley cars sound brilliant. I follow Toby Price, (Mad Aussie fellow) Dakar champion, who I see also races off road ralley cars- more like a modified “truck” tho. Stay safe Richie Thumbsup
Thanks Grant, we can be educated on all sorts of topics in the SOS forum, I have never heard the term "Topies"
Wow your brother did amazing to pull through from a serious injury, scary stuff.
Yes I know who Toby Price is, a very good rider and steerer as well, in fact he has done the same Finke desert race on a bike and off road buggy.
It's a quite the contrast venturing out into the fast lane then back to the sedate solitude of model ship building.
Keep up the great work on your build.

Good morning. Thanks @Dean62 , @Heinrich, @dockattner (Paul) @RDN1954 (Johann) and @Daniel20 - they are making me “ratty” now so maybe play elsewhere.

Paul D - yep Sasha ( @Alexander74 )advised me on the ratline rope and gap sizes. Went with his advice. He is not my friend presently as a 4mm gap is small and making me tie so many more ratlines than the instructions. ;).o_O.

@paulv1958 yes it was my choice. I see the Portsmouth and many other models go with the Hemp colour however I find it overpowering (just personal). I had an excuse to back my choice tho as some research books shows these would have been tarred. The Victory had so many faces in its time which certainly gave me the gap to go what I preferred.

Attempted the Catharpins for the Mizzen as break from ratlines. Is anything simple on these little ships:rolleyes:
D25DED04-E959-4AF6-A091-5675A945CB90.jpeg9AA78C1C-ED82-4CBF-99F7-E6DD392ABB05.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Thanks Grant, we can be educated on all sorts of topics in the SOS forum, I have never heard the term "Topies"
Wow your brother did amazing to pull through from a serious injury, scary stuff.
Yes I know who Toby Price is, a very good rider and steerer as well, in fact he has done the same Finke desert race on a bike and off road buggy.
It's a quite the contrast venturing out into the fast lane then back to the sedate solitude of model ship building.
Keep up the great work on your build.
Good morning Richie. Thanks. Like so many of us the solitude and quiet time from a rushed life is much enjoyed. David my younger brother did make a miraculous recovery although for 6 yers went through hell. Lost his marriage, career etc etc. was tough however he is back and doing well again. Thanks. Cheers Grant

Good evening- It is time for you guys to share the pain.....HMS Victory and ratlines....o_OSickSleep:rolleyes:Speechless. They say sharing and feeling vulnerable is good therapy.;)

Ratlines:
View attachment 312180

Ratlines:
View attachment 312181
Ratlines:

View attachment 312182
Ratlines:

View attachment 312183
Ratlines:

View attachment 312184
ROTFROTF
Cheers Grant
Good news is you will be able to tie clove hitches in your sleep now! ;) You will wake up one morning and wonder how over 1,000 clove hitches were tied on your ship! :p

Back