HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

I share your pain Grant! I'm in ratline hell myself (75% done). Tie a few lines take a break, repeat until you feel like you may explode :p
Good evening Daniel. True story. One by one I keep reminding myself. One thing I have learned, is on my next model I will use thread which is not dyed. I just can’t get those clove hitches to tighten nicely after dying. When I test run with my thread without dye they loop very easily and fit well. I have diluted the Indian ink with more water and it is better. Will try other alternatives before the main and foremast ratlines are done. I’m too far in to change now and I must say to the naked eye it is looking great. Cheers Grant

Good evening Daniel. True story. One by one I keep reminding myself. One thing I have learned, is on my next model I will use thread which is not dyed. I just can’t get those clove hitches to tighten nicely after dying. When I test run with my thread without dye they loop very easily and fit well. I have diluted the Indian ink with more water and it is better. Will try other alternatives before the main and foremast ratlines are done. I’m too far in to change now and I must say to the naked eye it is looking great. Cheers Grant
Your exactly right Grant, I would say at least 15% of my clove hitches are 'looser' than I like because of the springiness of the thread. From a distance its not noticeable.

Your exactly right Grant, I would say at least 15% of my clove hitches are 'looser' than I like because of the springiness of the thread. From a distance its not noticeable.
Ahh your comment has made me feel better. It is crazy how some just pull up so well and others don’t. I think there are ratline gremlins lurking around for sure. Cheers

Hello Grant. Great work, you have a lot of patience! I hope you know, that only lower masts' and topmasts' shrouds must have ratlines, but topgallant and royal masts' ones no?

1654275555438.png

Last edited:
Hello Grant. Great work, you have a lot of patience! I hope you know, that only lower masts' and topmasts' shrouds must have ratlines, but topgallant and royal masts' ones no?

View attachment 312194
Good evening Vladimir. Thanks for this. I did notice this on the plan set and you have confirmed what I thought. Appreciate your help as always. Cheers Grant.

Try waxing them Grant. Be warned, when I waxed my ropes, the knot’s don’t come loose…you have to cut them! ;)

;) Try waxing them Grant. Be warned, when I waxed my ropes, the knot’s don’t come loose…you have to cut them! ;)
Good morning Dean. Good advice Dean. Maybe Grant shouldn’t considering the redo’. Seriously I will give this a go. I do put wax on the 1mm and 0.5mm. So why not 0.2mm one may ask?

Back