HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good morning. The placement of the Mizzen top yard. Fun and games for sure.

The yard lift tye runs from the topmast near the hounds down through a double block on the yard back up and down to a double block just below the crow nest- port and starboard.
54DA35B6-B9E1-4343-82B2-CF0F1CE84282.jpegAF5854FF-C09B-4C55-A244-4C40B38A7D5F.jpeg
The tye is attached to the channel (problems for Grant here) by a pendant and single block and then tied off through a small block to cleat on the poop deck
E9252B3A-F4FD-48EA-8654-632A1264554A.jpegC4774724-586F-4974-A713-654B7E0A3201.jpeg

Note: the back stays are not tensioned as this will only be done once the fore stays are done to main mast. The problems I had derived from the Mantua plans and position of the upper small channel.
09EAE96B-F172-4B25-BF40-8D5F103A94E2.jpeg
This should be more aft and made the back stay too close to the pendant of the tye so they crossed. I move the pendants forward 5mm on the channel and while it is still close solves the issue.

I made a parral from beads and some copper spacing (used dremel to file the spacing into shape). My scratch making is not the best and this kit has minimal fittings.
9F79430D-1FDE-44F5-9495-4F2FD3D59C77.jpeg

Some picture of how the Mizzen topmast yard looks completely:

07E4267B-587A-4AB3-A146-434BE1FE390C.jpeg0BCF720C-9337-4C16-8973-08630232D6F5.jpeg

Cheers Grant

I thought it was the Tongan flag in reverse. Redface
Good morning. The Victory was made a hospital ship after she was damaged in a tussle with the French. The reverse Tongan flag may be hoisted on Grants Victory if I keep damaging her while doing the rigging....Redface. First my netting and now I took off a gun port lid....ROTF. Cheers Grant

Absolutely superb-looking rigging on that mizzen mast Grant. Your execution looks so good - with that you can and must be well pleased ... surely?!

Good morning. The placement of the Mizzen top yard. Fun and games for sure.

The yard lift tye runs from the topmast near the hounds down through a double block on the yard back up and down to a double block just below the crow nest- port and starboard.
View attachment 312751View attachment 312752
The tye is attached to the channel (problems for Grant here) by a pendant and single block and then tied off through a small block to cleat on the poop deck
View attachment 312753View attachment 312754

Note: the back stays are not tensioned as this will only be done once the fore stays are done to main mast. The problems I had derived from the Mantua plans and position of the upper small channel.
View attachment 312758
This should be more aft and made the back stay too close to the pendant of the tye so they crossed. I move the pendants forward 5mm on the channel and while it is still close solves the issue.

I made a parral from beads and some copper spacing (used dremel to file the spacing into shape). My scratch making is not the best and this kit has minimal fittings.
View attachment 312757

Some picture of how the Mizzen topmast yard looks completely:

View attachment 312756View attachment 312755

Cheers Grant
Aside from the rest of your outstanding construction, your parrel beads caught my attention. Those are some of the best-looking trucks and beads I've seen yet and you did them from scratch! BRAVO!!!

Things just keep getting better and better Grant. That is some really fine rigging.

I agree with Daniel - those are some finely executed parrels. Would you be willing to provide more detail on your construction method? You said copper - or was it brass? Thickness? How did you make them black? Painted or tarnished? Beads from your daughter's jewelry box?

Absolutely superb-looking rigging on that mizzen mast Grant. Your execution looks so good - with that you can and must be well pleased ... surely?!
Good evening Heinrich- thank you so much. I am well pleased with “Grants Victory “. Learnt so much and am still in the rookie class. I know I’m progressing reasonably ok with some applications and still cannot get others right. I enjoy researching how the rigging works and at times I think the British “just liked ropes”. It like why on earth would they do that. Cheers Grant

Things just keep getting better and better Grant. That is some really fine rigging.

I agree with Daniel - those are some finely executed parrels. Would you be willing to provide more detail on your construction method? You said copper - or was it brass? Thickness? How did you make them black? Painted or tarnished? Beads from your daughter's jewelry box?
Good evening Paul. Thank you. I Will take some pics and post. Cheers Grant

Agree the work is top notch and the ship will be a beauty to see once completed.

I am interested in the parrels too as I might need to make some.

Good morning- Parrals:

As you know I don’t get parts or resources easily here so I had to do some “Grants” creations. This was the case with the Parrals.

At this scale I needed to fit 9 beads and 8 ribs on the Mizzen topmast yard. Making the dimensions 1.1mm diameter beads and 0.65mm width of the ribs.

I went to the bead shop “Beads for Africa” to see if I could find something which works- found 0.5mm copper strip (not correct shape) with holes in it and some 1mm diameter copper beads. - 10 beads, 9 ribs.

Cut the strips with two hole spacing and used dremel tool with metal sander bit to shape into a rib.

I soaked the strips and beads in acid for 5min and spay painted with paint in photo. Used a small “washing line” to hang these parts onto to paint. 4 very thin coats. Dry 24 hours.

Fed through in sequence a 0.5mm rope in a sling format and lashed beneath the yard. The unusual shape did not show at all. So I ended with this.

The cut pieces are throw aways so not good however do show the process.
133F818E-B432-4411-AC52-D1C1D403FD92.jpegBD6B00D9-3CB0-4E62-AEC2-D6433AC1B475.jpeg

Some close ups- not 100 percent accurate (sorry Paul ;) )however solve a problem for me.
6C2DF458-AB6F-4B42-AAAC-5B8E1109597D.jpeg32272866-A83C-4490-8275-DDBA0227F007.jpeg

541C8EAC-7240-4FAF-B346-FAE94A8523CC.jpeg
Blue arrow- only angle where one can see not correct shape.

Cheers Grant

'Beads for Africa' - love it. The one thing you'll never run short of in Africa. Great work with the parrels Grant, and even with the big blue arrow I still couldn't see any fault Thumbsup

Good morning. The topping lift lines for the Mizzen top yard.

12DF1EB6-4569-4CEA-8A64-5094EFB70C5B.jpeg
35D14A47-FED0-4A00-8C69-C130BD1F8375.jpeg
Pretty self explanatory.The stay is tied to the top of the mast to keep it out of the way. The effect of photos- I got a little fright when my Shroud looked curved...whew that illusion of fright.Redface

I need to do some more creative thinking re these lines belay points. Hence the clips. The topping lift lines on this yard (I’m sure others too) tie off onto a shroud cleat. Like really ? These British o_OROTF.
7910983B-4344-461D-917A-CA33F6F033F6.jpeg
Hmmm??

Cheers Grant

Good morning. The Victory was made a hospital ship after she was damaged in a tussle with the French. The reverse Tongan flag may be hoisted on Grants Victory if I keep damaging her while doing the rigging....Redface. First my netting and now I took off a gun port lid....ROTF. Cheers Grant
Simply "just the way of the modeler" :D

Back