HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good afternoon. A small update :

Attached some 5mm cleats to shrouds for the topping lift lines and buntlines. I don’t have enough cleats to strap one to each shroud and as no sails are going on I will only do sufficient for my rigging plan. Like everything in this hobby not easy.
AC223733-45A7-4485-9EF9-CA6C2FA0D624.jpeg
To ensure the yards are at 90 degrees to the mast prior to termination of the lines I did this :
B59718D5-6CAD-4480-9DED-554BF04F511C.jpeg
The top gallant and top yards. The top gallant topping lift terminated to the strop of the dead eyes at crows nest while the top yard terminates at the shroud cleats.
EFB38558-668F-4A0D-AB77-890D19ED6D1D.jpeg14D1AABB-5176-484C-9FB6-E1AFA5BD0D9B.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Grant, great job. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup After installing the first rigging, the modeler begins to understand that all these intricacies of ropes are not such a complicated thing. Especially when it is clear where, why and how each tackle is carried out.;)

Grant, great job. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup After installing the first rigging, the modeler begins to understand that all these intricacies of ropes are not such a complicated thing. Especially when it is clear where, why and how each tackle is carried out.;)
That is very true Sasha. In my experience, with each new line, it all starts to make sense.

That is very true Sasha. In my experience, with each new line, it all starts to make sense.
That's right Paul. Over time, each modeller has his own rigging wiring technologies. Some start from the stern, some from the bow. By the way, in all the books it is written that the installation of rigging began with a bowsprit and further from the fore to the stern. Probably not in vain it is so written. For example, I begin to tighten the shrouds on any mast with lanyards not from the first shroud, but from the last one. And I move towards the first. At the same time, the tension of all the guys is maintained. And so on every mast.

That's right Paul. Over time, each modeller has his own rigging wiring technologies. Some start from the stern, some from the bow. By the way, in all the books it is written that the installation of rigging began with a bowsprit and further from the fore to the stern. Probably not in vain it is so written. For example, I begin to tighten the shrouds on any mast with lanyards not from the first shroud, but from the last one. And I move towards the first. At the same time, the tension of all the guys is maintained. And so on every mast.
Good morning Sasha. You are correct- as you rig each line and find out were they belay to, the function of each becomes logical. Tying off each line and keeping the tensions good is still a battle for my inexperienced ability. Enjoying it tho.

My rigging pattern does deviate from the books and others. I may be silly and regret my inexperience at a point. So far so good tho. I did it this way as I know my weaknesses and I need space in front of each mast. I also need to do as much “off the ship” as possible as my dual tweezer work and tying is horrid. When I seat the main mast and tension the stays for the Mizzen to main and backstays for Mizzen i am holding thumbs it works out. You guys in the know must think I’m a little crazyROTF. I see the reasoning in your method using the lanyards from last to first. Do you tension all the masts at same time for alignment and complete tension across the whole ship?

Cheers Grant

Cheers Grant

Good morning Sasha. You are correct- as you rig each line and find out were they belay to, the function of each becomes logical. Tying off each line and keeping the tensions good is still a battle for my inexperienced ability. Enjoying it tho.

My rigging pattern does deviate from the books and others. I may be silly and regret my inexperience at a point. So far so good tho. I did it this way as I know my weaknesses and I need space in front of each mast. I also need to do as much “off the ship” as possible as my dual tweezer work and tying is horrid. When I seat the main mast and tension the stays for the Mizzen to main and backstays for Mizzen i am holding thumbs it works out. You guys in the know must think I’m a little crazyROTF. I see the reasoning in your method using the lanyards from last to first. Do you tension all the masts at same time for alignment and complete tension across the whole ship?

Cheers Grant

Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. I can't pull all the masts at the same time. Hands are missing ROTF ROTF ROTF
I pull the foresail with shrouds and stays, then the mainsail and after the mizzen. On each mast, I start with turnbuckles at the back and work my way forward. when I pull the stay, the first shroud does not sag.
You should try it to understand the difference. Maybe next model

Hi Grant. I can't pull all the masts at the same time. Hands are missing ROTF ROTF ROTF
I pull the foresail with shrouds and stays, then the mainsail and after the mizzen. On each mast, I start with turnbuckles at the back and work my way forward. when I pull the stay, the first shroud does not sag.
You should try it to understand the difference. Maybe next model
Thanks Sasha. Yes it makes a lot of sense. I will do that - a less complex model will be my choice for sure....if such a model exists;). Cheers Grant

Good morning. Last night in a bar “far far away“ (for those Star Wars fans...again) we where have some post ride drinks - a few too many as SA culture demands :rolleyes: - a picture on the wall reminded me of one of my shipbuilding friends. View attachment 313425
Der alte Seebär picturing a bearded old sailor with a pensive countenance in a sou'wester smoking a pipe. It has been claimed that rather than being a fisherman it is a picture of the Dutch lifeboatman Dorus Rijkers. Artist Heinrich "Harry" Haerendel was a Hamburg born German artist. Wikipedia

Der alte Seebär picturing a bearded old sailor with a pensive countenance in a sou'wester smoking a pipe. It has been claimed that rather than being a fisherman it is a picture of the Dutch lifeboatman Dorus Rijkers. Artist Heinrich "Harry" Haerendel was a Hamburg born German artist. Wikipedia
Spot on!

dorus-rijkers-2.jpg
Dorus Rijkers

Back