HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Good morning. Over the past while, when I was “over” rigging my Mizzen I added blocks and shrouds to the main mast. An absolute pleasure doing these with mast not seated. Even made some unusual double blocks for the top mast without calling my Victory any inappropriate names :D Here are some pics.

3BE8DFC3-1CD9-44F4-8E6F-284BEBCC417C.jpegD6FA8B8B-7889-4770-BEBD-0D38C60914B3.jpegAF97D446-D9E8-484B-829B-1553B69B7DF0.jpegAF97D446-D9E8-484B-829B-1553B69B7DF0.jpeg8FA7EA68-0FC3-45B3-AD7F-7D881F60BF05.jpegE81984CB-C8CC-484D-9C30-9195F822F63C.jpeg69CFE730-27E7-4782-8AA9-1953AA11C4E8.jpeg
I was chuffed that my mast mods worked an everything fitted. Not 100% accurate however a significant improvement from the kit with resources available.

Cheers Grant

Dear Grant. As usual your work is of a very high standard. What amazes me each time is how good your ropes are looking for "standard" rope. Secondly you manage to achieve a very nice contrast between the black painted mast sections and the colour of your blocks. The visual impact is excellent, and your execution is top notch. With those you have to be well pleased.

Good morning. I don’t know much about this fellow- as he is part of SA history I think I should have a look. The fact you use him as your profile pic means there is a story to to tell. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. Nope he was not South African, he was Dutch. But the painting that you saw in the pub was extremely popular in the fifties. In South Africa DF Malherbe wrote a book "Hans die Skipper" which was then made into a movie. Today both are Africana to some and kitsch to others. To me, Hans die Skipper is South African, stemmed from Gans Bay and was captain of a trawler called "Blougans". Gans Bay and Blougans are both factual (Blougans not anymore) but the rest of the story is all in my imagination.

Hi Grant. Nope he was not South African, he was Dutch. But the painting that you saw in the pub was extremely popular in the fifties. In South Africa DF Malherbe wrote a book "Hans die Skipper" which was then made into a movie. Today both are Africana to some and kitsch to others. To me, Hans die Skipper is South African, stemmed from Gans Bay and was captain of a trawler called "Blougans". Gans Bay and Blougans are both factual (Blougans not anymore) but the rest of the story is all in my imagination.

Hey Grant, your work is almost too good to be true; in all honesty, I'm starting to suspect a little foul play here, as in that I'm suspecting your Admiral doing all the expertly crafted rigging work. ROTF

Most males, and I include myself in that category, are not able to deliver this high-quality work. For instance, wiring harnesses for aircraft are mainly (hand) made by women, because of their high quality work and their accuracy.

All this set aside, the rigging work looks great.

Good morning.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement @Heinrich , @RDN1954 , @Hoss6262 , @Pathfinder65 ,@Daniel20 , @dockattner and those who liked. I’ve said it before (worth repeating), the contributions from the guys on SOS - encouragement, advice, compliments certainly drive me to attempt a better and a “little” more accurate rendition of “Grants “ Victory. Really appreciated.

Heinrich I have a mixture of rope- the 1mm and all the hemp colored rope are from the kit and I bought the 0.5mm and 0.2mm from Zoly. No doubt on any future models the rope will all be bought(not into making) and not stained. Staining spoils the 0.2mm and the kit ropes are just no where as good. Zola’s blocks are outstanding and make a huge difference to the appearance and accuracy of rigging. Advice to anyone building a ship- Buy good rope (or make if you have the skill, equipment and patience) and good blocks. It will change your ship.

Johann if the admiral worked on my Victory it would be challenging Paul’s VasaROTF. Arlene has some talent. Unfortunately I don’t have Heinrich persuasive skills.ROTF

Cheers Grant

Good morning.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement @Heinrich , @RDN1954 , @Hoss6262 , @Pathfinder65 ,@Daniel20 , @dockattner and those who liked. I’ve said it before (worth repeating), the contributions from the guys on SOS - encouragement, advice, compliments certainly drive me to attempt a better and a “little” more accurate rendition of “Grants “ Victory. Really appreciated.

Heinrich I have a mixture of rope- the 1mm and all the hemp colored rope are from the kit and I bought the 0.5mm and 0.2mm from Zoly. No doubt on any future models the rope will all be bought(not into making) and not stained. Staining spoils the 0.2mm and the kit ropes are just no where as good. Zola’s blocks are outstanding and make a huge difference to the appearance and accuracy of rigging. Advice to anyone building a ship- Buy good rope (or make if you have the skill, equipment and patience) and good blocks. It will change your ship.

Johann if the admiral worked on my Victory it would be challenging Paul’s VasaROTF. Arlene has some talent. Unfortunately I don’t have Heinrich persuasive skills.ROTF

Cheers Grant
Grants Victory will be amazing for sure!!! Like I asked doc when can we appointments to come visit and learn and see the amazing work that you are doing!! Please don't ever stop modeling because the world will loss a great artist

Grants Victory will be amazing for sure!!! Like I asked doc when can we appointments to come visit and learn and see the amazing work that you are doing!! Please don't ever stop modeling because the world will loss a great artist
Good morning Rob. Thank you for the compliment. “Artist”...mostly I feel like those guys who throw and splash paint onto a canvas and hope like crazy some form of art comes out ;) . Cheers Grant

Good morning. Grant going off topic...again. :oops: I love my kids and they spoilt me with a cool braai and presents for Father’s Day. My son has invaded my shipyard again:eek:. I woke up this am to find this:
11F1546A-F2C2-4AE9-859E-1ADEE4AB6530.jpeg
He bought a new(second hand) Mx bike and has not sold his previous one yet- my garages are full so he decided the shipyard is a good storage placeROTF. I think I’m going to give it a full broadside with all 51 cannons from the Victory..... Cheers Grant

Back