Imperial yacht Uvalen by Falconet in 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

One step to the rigging. The... sorry, I don't know the correct term - travellers? With special conductors for shaping them, and then burnished.

DSC_6607.JPG
DSC_6610.JPG

It's only for marking, I'll glue them into their place later.

DSC_6609.JPG

I hate soldering...

UPD Oops... I've just discovered, that there must be TWO long ones... so back to work.

Last edited:
For the masting the kit provides laser-cut blanks, which you need to make round. A mini-plane makes this work more comfortable. It's better to clean the burnt surfaces first. Attention: in the manual drawings the masts are shorter than they really are! Though all the other measures are correct.
The main mast (almost ready), the blank for the foremast, and the magic device.

DSC_6612.jpg

The masts are (almost) ready. It took a long time, because I discovered that I'd forgotten about the hounds, or better to say, I hadn't noticed them in the manual's figure, and made the masts round along their full length. So I had to reconstruct them with small pieces of veneer.
The bands I decided to make them from paper instead of PE, it's easier and more in the scale.

DSC_6613.JPG
DSC_6616.JPG

The masts are (almost) ready. It took a long time, because I discovered that I'd forgotten about the hounds, or better to say, I hadn't noticed them in the manual's figure, and made the masts round along their full length. So I had to reconstruct them with small pieces of veneer.
The bands I decided to make them from paper instead of PE, it's easier and more in the scale.

View attachment 298752
View attachment 298753
That is some great detail work you have achieved there. Cheers

And here is a brand new version of the manual for the Uvalen's masting and sails, corrected and translated in English. To be printed 1:1 on A4 format.
This is great, Walter. It will be very useful when I get to that point in my build. Thank you!

Finally the two biggest sails are bent. Before that I spent a lot of time making different ropes, until I've got the neccessary diameter of 0.2 mm, thanks to Gütermann 240. (First I tried to use a 0.3 rope, but it was too thick, then a 0.15, but it was too thin.) The sails I bought them ready by a guy from a Russian forum, they are very good quality, maybe a bit too rigid, like thick paper.

DSC_6622.JPGDSC_6624.JPGDSC_6625.JPG

Back