Ingermanland 1715 (2014) * Shi Cheng * 1:50 Scale

Hi Viktor98
Don't know if this will help or not.

I don't know what other people have found out when using sanding sealer on wood.
I found that if you intend to stain some wood it is best not to use a sealer, just stain it then varnish it when stain has dried.

When I built my SOS I put some sanding sealer on a fife rail but decided that I wanted it darker, I put some varnish/stain mix on it but it just rolled away from the edges.

As for painting wood, if the paint is thick thin it down with water, best to apply 3-4 of thin paint than one thick one.
No brush marks when you use thin paint, thick paint leaves fatty edges as it has no time to flow out.

Denis.

Hi Viktor98
Don't know if this will help or not.

I don't know what other people have found out when using sanding sealer on wood.
I found that if you intend to stain some wood it is best not to use a sealer, just stain it then varnish it when stain has dried.

When I built my SOS I put some sanding sealer on a fife rail but decided that I wanted it darker, I put some varnish/stain mix on it but it just rolled away from the edges.

As for painting wood, if the paint is thick thin it down with water, best to apply 3-4 of thin paint than one thick one.
No brush marks when you use thin paint, thick paint leaves fatty edges as it has no time to flow out.

Denis.
Thanks. Denis, that does help out a lot. I'm not sure, just yet, if I'll be staining, but I will have to keep your advise in mind for when that time comes. ;) :cool:

John
great build, looking forward to seeing the continuation!
Do you know that the aft carvings have something to do with Savo's carvings? Have they been used as a master for the kit?
Janos

John
great build, looking forward to seeing the continuation!
Do you know that the aft carvings have something to do with Savo's carvings? Have they been used as a master for the kit?
Janos
I'm not sure of the connection between Savos' work and the carvings on the Ingermanland's stern, therefore I'm not completely sure of the answer to your question. Now, at this very moment, I find myself searching for Savos, but only seem to stumble across a modern sculptor which I'm sure isn't who you're referring to. Do you have any information on Savos?

Alright, Savo carves sculptures for model ship. Well. the stern carvings for my Ingermanland kit are from resin so I'm sure he's not the one. ;)
And thanks for the links, guys! :D

Thanks for the explanation, Zoli, you are completely right. The stern carvings of the kit resamble Savo's carving, that's why I thought that he could have made the master carving for the kits resin castings.
Janos

Thanks for the explanation, Zoli, you are completely right. The stern carvings of the kit resamble Savo's carving, that's why I thought that he could have made the master carving for the kits resin castings.
Janos
I wasn't thinking of a master carving. Hmmm... Maybe it was Savo Vranac. I wonder, how would we find out?

I think both Savo and schi sheng used the drawings of the stern to make the carvings ,thas way they are similar?!!! Lol

Maybe Poltava will be my next ship :D

They are planning to finish the vessel in spring next year, and together with the planned museum in this beautifull city, it will be for sure a very well known Ship.
I could imagine, that with this back ground a chinese or russian manufacturer would start to develop such a kit in (I hope POF)......but in the meantime we are Out of Topic.......we should go back to the other russian ship, the Ingermanland 1715

I'm getting very close to having the first deck completed, in regards to planking, and I can say, unequivocally, that there are items that I should not have installed prior to planking. First and foremost, the supports between the ribs, as they have made it very difficult to lay down the planks as I get close to the hull line.
Be that as it may, I've truly enjoyed the challenge its caused, and I'm looking forward to the decks completion, as it should be complete by either tonight or tomorrow :D

IMG_20180528_114039695_HDR.jpg

Are there any gratings or deck openings for ladders etc. on this deck? For them, maybe you have to adjust slightly the planking.....at such areas the pattern should be revised, in order to prevent too short planks....

Are there any gratings or deck openings for ladders etc. on this deck? For them, maybe you have to adjust slightly the planking.....at such areas the pattern should be revised, in order to prevent too short planks....
There are none on this deck, but the next will have them. I will keep this in mind when i begin the second deck planking ;)

Hi John,

As you have the resin sculptures you can allways try to carve them your selve. Wooden polished carvings upgrade the kit by a factor 10.

Hi John,

As you have the resin sculptures you can allways try to carve them your selve. Wooden polished carvings upgrade the kit by a factor 10.

There is actually a wooden set available for Ingermanland. I'm truly considering the purchase when the time comes.

But carving them myself? A man has to know his limitations ;)

Back