Ingermanland 1715 (2014) * Shi Cheng * 1:50 Scale

Sorry John,Lol,I misspelled the question but you gave a good answer for planking ,I was asking where did you buy from the pre-cut teak planks?:);)

Well, I've had a very busy past few weeks, but I finally got to do a little work on the main deck. By the way, no one told me that planking the deck would be so time consuming. :) o_O :D o_O

WOW!

And I bet I've sanded my fingertips around fifteen to twenty times in the last couple of days. lol

Now, to me that looks like 1/3rd done. I kept hoping that I'd run out of glue :p

IMG_20180524_185214709_HDR.jpg

Hi John still 3 decks to go:). Nice work.
Hallo @Viktor98
and the other decks are smaller and have some gratings etc. which will reduce the deckplanking surface......a little bit more joints and maybe no standard-lengths of planks and and and......., but smaller surface ;)
realy Good work

By the way, no one told me that planking the deck would be so time consuming. :)o_O:Do_O[
Next time we will tell!
Promised :cool:

Hallo @Viktor98
and the other decks are smaller and have some gratings etc. which will reduce the deckplanking surface......a little bit more joints and maybe no standard-lengths of planks and and and......., but smaller surface ;)
realy Good work

Next time we will tell!
Promised :cool:
Oh, I'll be looking forward to smaller! lol But, before I continue with the remaining decks I think I'm going to install some lighting so get ready for some questions when that day comes around ;)

I've read a few books, and I discussed this with one builder already, but I'd like to get more input on the subject. What is best to seal the decks with, varnish, super glue, or what? Of course I'm not to that point yet, but as I lay the planks I do wonder how to finish them; not only to seal them and make them look nice, but also to keep them from pulling up in the future.

Hello John,like Marteen says,matt varnish or wipe on poly,in general never use any shinny parts on your model,cannons if painted or any metal parts should be done with matt black paint other than that use some blackener.

A matte finish is definitely what I want, but I just want to make sure that everything will stay in place over the years. As I mentioned, one of the builders that I follow on Facebook said he uses super glue to coat the deck planking, after the planking is complete, to make sure it seals good, so I wanted a second opinion on that.

As for the matte finish, I do like using the rub on poly's a lot. I think it gives the best finished look. I've never used it on a ship before, but I've used it on gun stocks and furniture and I really like the outcome.

Super glue to seal ??never heard of that but sounds like a kinda of overdoing things,some shipmodel builders tent to overcomplicate simple task and creating hyper duper jigs and methods to look more advanced and sophisticated builder Lol :)

Unfortunately the wipe on poly is not available here in Europe. I have been looking for it but sofar no succes.

I agree here completely with Zoltán. I would also never use superglue for the deck.....and I also never got the info, that somebody is doing it in this way......

I agree here completely with Zoltán. I would also never use superglue for the deck.....and I also never got the info, that somebody is doing it in this way......
I thought it was a little strange, but being new to this I had to keep it as an option. Never the less, I find it's best to gather information from multiple sources in order to truly choose what's best, and here, I can do just that ;)
And not only did I not want to use Superglue, to coat the decks, because of its fumes, I also kept thinking, to myself, 'How would I keep the brush from sticking to the deck when covering such a large area?' :confused: :D:D

White shellac makes an excellent sealer and dries quickly with a clear finish. Alcohol based so no nasty hydrocarbons to smell.

Hi
When I was talking about solvent based I was talking about NOT using WATER based ones.

Denis.

Back