Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Well, that's because I have abandoned normal life and entered: the sanding zone. I have not left my workshop in three weeks, have not eaten in three days, my children tell me that my wife has left me in favor of a man who does not become consumed by his hobbies, and my office manager assures me that the new orthodontist is skilled and kind to the staff...
ROTF ROTF - classic Paul….and as for your new avatar ROTF.
Well Good morning Paul. I have been waiting for these posts and I am floored. The hours of work and sanding has paid significant returns. I am always impressed how even your WIP is so neat. Over the years there has been plenty banter about your perfectionism….well I guess we all wish we had a tad more of it. You are owning this. Cheers Grant

I am speechless. That is simply stunning! That is why I encouraged you so much to start with this build - I knew what you would be capable of with a Lauck Street kit.

Your model probably has a significantly nicer than the original even taking into account the scale!
That's a nice compliment Jeff (I assume that WAS a compliment ROTF). But it brings up an interesting notion...are we capable of outbuilding the originals? I know lots of modelers like to 'age' their models - but that is a different question. What I mean is: if a bolt or nail is off by 10 mm on the real ship should we model that? Or does 10 mm off in real life translate to: as perfect as we can get it at 1:48 scale (that is, would the 10 mm disappear in the scale correction).

Maarten has long argued that we try to be too perfect...and having seen the innards of the Batavia firsthand myself (thanks for that @Maarten) I can tell you that in real life on a 17th Dutch ship there were LOTS of irregularities.

Anyway, this vapid post is not directed at you Jeff...just got me thinking out loud...

Now this is a good update showing great progress Paul. The boxwood sands out so very nice and what really impresses me is the symmetry you are maintaining between the left and right members. That cannot be easy. Hey BTW I understand the potential new avatar ROTF , sanding with my left hand in control has about the same outcome as trying to throw a ball left-handed, really ugly and funny looking to boot. Thanks for the update, Paul.
Thank you, Daniel. Yes, symmetry has been pursued, but she is an elusive temptress...

Beautiful work Paul! Hardwood can kill blades and sandpaper with a single swipe! ROTF
I am sure your perseverance will prevail. We know you by now! ;)

Ps - Daniel is correct, it will sand and cut very sharp and clean. You probably know this already, but that is why it is preferred for carving and turning.
I agree with both of you gentlemen. The boxwood holds great promise as the finish approaches ivory or bone - but what a battle to get there! I think in the future I'll stick to pearwood for framing and boxwood for detailing...

Of course, the pearwood will still be a challenge - but in my limited experience it is easier to get her to lift her skirt than the boxwood (let's see what the administrators do with that post Redface).

You definitly don‘t need a kit anymore. This looks great and your pictures are a big help for others - including me
You are far too kind Christian. I'm rather concerned with the fact that I have been making 'decisions' about the shape of the bow (and now, as of yesterday, the stern) without the necessary experience. I'm hoping the kit design is somehow guiding me...

Well, that's because I have abandoned normal life and entered: the sanding zone. I have not left my workshop in three weeks, have not eaten in three days, my children tell me that my wife has left me in favor of a man who does not become consumed by his hobbies, and my office manager assures me that the new orthodontist is skilled and kind to the staff...
You sound like a man possessed... ROTF
But after three weeks in the zone, it sure looks like an immaculate sanding job to me!

On his brilliant Bluenose build report, Daniel mentioned "your next post" in response to a comment I had made. And when I read that I realized it's been a while since I've reported any progress.

Here are the forward cant frames in place:

View attachment 376119

View attachment 376120

And now after preliminary shaping with a sanding wheel in a rotary tool:

View attachment 376121

View attachment 376122

And now partially sanded:

View attachment 376123

View attachment 376124

View attachment 376125

View attachment 376126

View attachment 376129

Here is my new avatar photo:

View attachment 376130

Sanding boxwood is like sanding slate. The sandpaper slides over the top of it with a rattling sound without digging in. And every time I think I might have accomplished something I put it down only to pick it up the next day and discover there is still more work to do.

One more overall shot:

View attachment 376128

And a closer look at the boxing (pending hawse holes):

View attachment 376127

Thanks for the visit!
Wife and children are temporary, models are eternal;)

That's a nice compliment Jeff (I assume that WAS a compliment ROTF). But it brings up an interesting notion...are we capable of outbuilding the originals? I know lots of modelers like to 'age' their models - but that is a different question. What I mean is: if a bolt or nail is off by 10 mm on the real ship should we model that? Or does 10 mm off in real life translate to: as perfect as we can get it at 1:48 scale (that is, would the 10 mm disappear in the scale correction).

Maarten has long argued that we try to be too perfect...and having seen the innards of the Batavia firsthand myself (thanks for that @Maarten) I can tell you that in real life on a 17th Dutch ship there were LOTS of irregularities.

Anyway, this vapid post is not directed at you Jeff...just got me thinking out loud...
I have always said perfection is not realism! Yet we strive for it in model building, which is a bit odd considering that we are trying to make a realistic representation of our models. ;)

Brilliant ROTF

Hi Paul,

Haha, yes you are right. I will keep preaching if you are at looking at 17th century originals other factors then symmetry are leading, these ships were not fully designed and engineered. Materials available are leading. If there is a knot in the wood at a specific spot a bolt will be placed somewhere else.
In shell first builds treenails in floor planks are drilled first through the floor frame and then the planks by hand, location and number of treenails are different at every connection.
Placement of bolts is a little more precise as these are used in critical spots, keel, stem, stern knees etc.
A 17th century hand drill for drilling long holes for bolts is not a piece of precission machinery so keeping a drill perfect in line over a 1 mtr long hole will be nearly impossible.
See below my stern post bolts, certainly not perfect in line.
20230520_154515.jpg

And on a 17th century original pinas wreck.
a93060d3-f113-6ac7-847d-be61da09a171.jpg

As said before by a famous philosopher.
intro-1605216649.jpg

Let it go ..... let it go.

Work has commenced on the aft cant frames. Here is what it looks like without any fairing and out of the building jig:

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9506.JPG

The transition from the cant frames to the square frames (two have been placed) is rather disconcerting. But the square frames are comically thick, so I trust everything is OK.

From the front:

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

It certainly looks like the square frames are sitting too far down, but the notch that sits on the deadwood has not been filed down at all so it must be right (?).

From the stern:

IMG_9503.JPG

Next post in a few minutes...

And now after preliminary shaping with a rotary tool...

IMG_9662.JPG

IMG_9666.JPG

IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9663.JPG

The Kattner Sanding Center:

IMG_9660.JPG

IMG_9661.JPG

I have become increasingly frustrated by my (lack of) success gluing frames. You may recall that I dropped a bunch of frames earlier in the build and many of them broke (in some cases at the glue joint).

Since then, I am constantly repairing cant frames that are breaking off of the deadwood and at the top of the frames where they are joined with little filler pieces. I used Titebond and it is either old glue (Amazon) or the wrong product. It dries very brittle and I am now using a different PVA to make repairs. I would call it a learning experience but I'm not sure what I'm learning...

This a holiday weekend in the US when we remember those who have served in the military: freedom isn't free. Thank you to those who served so I can sit in my backyard and not have to worry about anything more concerning than glue...

Last edited:
Back