Kit knots??

Welcome aboard SOS, Handy Herb! There are many knots used in the ships, Some of them are used on Standing rigging, while others are on running rigging. Also, knots are used to connect two or more ropes together. It is a very complex subject and you have to know where you will use one or another knot. Below are some most common knots.

1695163115435.png

1695163168955.png

1695163225862.png

1695163273278.png

1695163386576.png

Often the problem is to know and understand which kind of knot is installed at which part of the ship or rigging

Also sometimes, you are not able to install a correct knot, because of the scale and / or used material of ropes - f.e. when the rope is outscale the nautical knot will be much more out of scale - so you have to make a fake know which is only looking like the correct real nautical knot.

A real master in rigging is our friend @archjofo - in his building log of his La Creole you can see the highest quality of knots - which we never will achieve, but you can see, scrolling through his building log real nautical knots in correct scale

We, as normal modelers, are trying to get closer to his work.......

In addition looking around you will find a lot of information and sketches about different correct knots

28f4a587542388d859c1a36fcc2a45db.jpg

simplified
Image11-RiggingTips.jpg

better
e0d36aca3ffd8c4a7e931b4ae0b15dac.jpg

also take a look at avialable books and publications helping in the rigging

cost free download

also it depends very much in the ship and scale you build - maybe best would be to start a building log and you show us the status and we can help step by step in the different parts of your rigging

BTW: what I forgot - there are also publications showing only knots -here 3,900 different kinds of knots are shown, the majoity is not known by all of us (I think)

Also, if you have an iPad or iPhone there a brilliant free app called Knots 3D. I don't know if it's available on the dreaded Android.
Excellent app - I just bought ($5.99), downloaded and installed it on my dreaded Samsung phone. :cool: Should be very handy to use during rigging my current model.

Back