Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

Wow, it’s Sunday and I‘ve got some shipyardtime.

I‘ve had to do with popping in out of the Forum for most of the week. There hasn’t been much shipyard time. Our time has been spent venturing into the COVID world purchasing and then mailing Christmas items, two days were needed to clear out over 20 plus inches of snow from the driveway and the dog runs.
So this morning we managed to finish the bulwark rails.

2C72CD51-4E42-4D66-9DD1-C894CF40F27F.jpeg

I also used my deck template to spot and drill all the holes for the eye pins, the locations for the pumps and belaying pin racks.

Jan

Your progress may be limited by available time Jan, but is unmistakable. It is amazing how the completed railing lends frames the hull shape. After Christmas you can go full steam ahead again - so don't worry. :)

Your progress may be limited by available time Jan, but is unmistakable. It is amazing how the completed railing lends frames the hull shape. After Christmas you can go full steam ahead again - so don't worry. :)
Hi Heinrich,

Indeed after Christmas I’ll have a second ship that will need my attention.
Jan

Hello Jan,
I’ve got your build in view. A nice ship to build. Sometimes yo go fast, sometime you go slow. But still progress.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,

Indeed, I go between reading, working on my other hobbies, Model Railroading and model ships, small electronic projects and now with snow on the ground snowmobiling and X country skiing and also the inevitable household chores. Sometimes one aspect gets more time than the other but eventually through the week I manage time for all. Since I retired a few years back I don’t know how I ever found the hours to work a real job.

Jan

My outing.

I left my home bubble yesterday and ventured out into the COVID world. It was off to the Hardware store to get some wood filler. I asked the clerk in the store what he would recommend other than what I had been using. He said he was a woodworker and recommended MINWAX Wood Putty. So I got two small jars, one in Natural Pine and the other in Walnut to take home and try. Not being a woodworker I didn’t tumble to “putty versus filler”.

20FE7B4F-2636-4244-A1A8-C91314C006F0.jpeg

The “Aha” moment.
C1A50278-E9E0-4E84-99E5-6A7B8463A408.jpeg

I tried out the Walnut on a couple of scrap pieces yesterday afternoon and was able to work it in very well. But if I had put on my reading glasses before I tried the stuff I would I would have known why the fix was still flexible this morning. :(:(

Jan

Wood putty and wood filler are two different items for different uses. I would still save it though, would work very well simulating trenails. Make a hole and fill it with the putty, when doing this I would be sure to have a coat of finish on the area to prevent possible staining. Experiment, it may not be a total loss.
Hi Don,

Thumbsup it's just another part of my learning process. Another piece of information filed away for future use. I'll experiment with the trenails. Maybe use the White Pine putty.

Jan

Lol, I’ve been to the local home stores many times looking at that exact same wood putty.
I did read about the “non-hardening feature” so put it back on the shelf.
Then a few months later I would go to get some putty, same exact stuff I put back on the shelf, read the fine print and realize my mistake.
Then a few months later ..... well you get where l’m going with this.

Hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn’t be telling these stories they don’t put me in the best light.

Last edited:
Lol, I’ve been to the local home stores many times looking at that exact same wood putty.
I did read about the “non-hardening feature” so put it back on the shelf.
Then a few months later I would go to get some putty, same exact stuff I put back on the shelf, read the fine print and realize my mistake.
Then a few months later ..... we’ll you get where l’m going with this.

Hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn’t be telling these stories they don’t put me in the best light.
Great story, its like my lost screwdriver. I find it, put it down after use. Next day I'm looking for it again.:D

Jan

The Stern:

Well it's confession time. I have to admit when I started planking the hull, there were a few false starts. Eventually I found a method I could use, but it didn't exactly conform to the plans. In between have to taper the the planks both at the stem and stern, I wasted a lot of material just trying to get the first one or two planks laid down. My final method was to taper the planks toward the stem but not the stern. That worked out great, laid both the first and second planks and was content with overall result. Then it was time to do the transom. Argh, bummer, gee wiz, the Transom wasn't a very good fit. Evidently if I had managed to taper the planks at the stern there would have been a base to set the Transom on. Oh, well I put the hull to side for a week or so and every time I walked by I would pick it up, give it the evil eye and put it back on the shelf. Well this morning was the day, I just couldn't stand it any more, so....

Introducing the :p Jan Stern:p

2340892E-D5D9-4F84-B804-A802B4EE3D06.jpeg

Not according to the plan set, but acceptable non the less.

Jan

Nothing wrong with the shape, Jan! Are you going to plank over it yet? To me the only discrepancy is the texture between the transom and the hull - the shape and fit are both fine!

Nothing wrong with the shape, Jan! Are you going to plank over it yet? To me the only discrepancy is the texture between the transom and the hull - the shape and fit are both fine!
Hi Heinrich,

I thinkI will plank the Transom. It just looks it should be covered with something.

Jan

Wood putty and wood filler are two different items for different uses. I would still save it though, would work very well simulating trenails. Make a hole and fill it with the putty, when doing this I would be sure to have a coat of finish on the area to prevent possible staining. Experiment, it may not be a total loss.
A945CBDB-76A4-4DC3-8448-C72FB99DECB7.jpeg

A small experiment, the holes are probably bigger than needed, but it looks like your idea will work. I did a coat of clear before and after I added the Walnut putty.

Jan

Jan,

Your moving along nicely, you might finish this ship before I finish the Enterprise ;).
I like the treenail look, might give that a try on my next build.

I was eyeing how your planks butt into the stern, they look good to me, at least better than mine.

Are you finding this build to be easier than your last one?

Back