Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

Hello Jan. They look very good. As with everything else - and is always the case - the extra effort paid dividends!
Hi Heinrich. You are right, I’ve gotten beyond the point of ”it looks good enough”. As my skills improve so goes my modeling effort.

Jan

Hi Heinrich. You are right, I’ve gotten beyond the point of ”it looks good enough”. As my skills improve so goes my modeling effort.

Jan
Isn't that the truth, Jan! I have experienced the same thing - I started with fairly modest expectations but as the build has progressed my goals have changed along the way. Interesting. I wonder if that is a product of the forum and building in front of others (meaning others who can help)?

Isn't that the truth, Jan! I have experienced the same thing - I started with fairly modest expectations but as the build has progressed my goals have changed along the way. Interesting. I wonder if that is a product of the forum and building in front of others (meaning others who can help)?
Yup, the helping hints, criticisms and just general chats and encouragement of the forum members is veritable goldmine.

Jan

10mm Triple Blocks , need help finding some.

The kit has 10mm trible blocks but not one of them is square or has the holes in a straight line.

12445F75-23CC-4C66-BBD9-9CACB2AE957D_1_201_a.jpeg

The blocks on the left are from the kit. The blocks on the right I kit bashed from set of Syren single and a set of their double DIY blocks. Th ones on the right are just a bit over 7mm. I've spent couple of hours this afternoon looking for 10mm triple blocks, alas I've not been able to find any. Does anyone have a source, I only need four to rig the downstay for the main mast.

Jan

Last edited:
Model ship ways make some, in stock at Model Expo.

Mantua also make some if you know of a US agent.

Searching for model triple sheave blocks USA brings up further options.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Model ship ways make some, in stock at Model Expo.

Mantua also make some if you know of a US agent.

Searching for model triple sheave blocks USA brings up further options.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

My searches turn up a lot of 5mm, 7mm and some 8mm blocks, but very few 10mm triple blocks.The 10mm ones I've found look as bad if not worse than what I have.

Jan

I agree with Paul. Why not make your own? You need only 4, and it is not difficult to make. Here is the idea

View attachment 228604
Jim, how do you round the edges? I have seen sanding tumblers - but couldn't they just be sanded by hand at this scale?

I was just picturing starting with a solid chunks of wood and using files to shape the block and add the channel(s) for ropes and such...drill out the holes...

Hello, Paul! In the above photo, the edges pre-rounded by tablesaw, and then by hand. Once you cut the block from the strip, it is finished by hand using files. You are correct, a simple blocks can be made from solid wood: shaping and drilling the holes.

I did my own search and found only subpar products. I vote for make your own. Or start with the kit version and modify them. You only need a few.
Hi Paul,

That‘s my plan. I look at what I’ve build so far, the changes I have made and the scale of the ship. My plan is to only have standing rigging so those blocks will be very visible.

Jan

DIY Blocks:

Took some time this morning to cobble together bits and pieces to see if I could actually make my own blocks.

I used odds and ends of stock from previous builds to make a three tier "sandwich", cut out the rough block form (10mm X 6.5mm X 6.5mm)

1E656889-9CDF-4315-BE06-469FD1B125B9_1_201_a.jpeg

The block roughed in.

C10FC2B5-2285-496F-817E-902A64F90598.jpeg

I consider my first experiment a success and will now order some proper material to make the blocks I need.

Jan

Blocks:

Still experimenting, trying to figure out the best best method to make my own blocks. I'm currently waiting for Boxwood and Cherry pieces to arrive.

These don't look bad, made from my initial kit bash of odd pieces of wood. But aren't what I have in mind.

My effort on top and the kit block on the bottom.

77D64401-B74D-4833-90F7-3777A3CB68A6.jpeg

I assume from the examples shown, that there are couple methods. Either carve them out of a single piece of material or laminate pieces to to get the general shape. Then its sand, sand ,sand and more to shape them. I'll probably try both methods.

Jan

Making your own blocks, imagine that!

That seems tedious but now that you have done it I'm tempted to give it a go.

Don't know if I would make enough for an entire build though.

To get the 3 holes did you drill them out ?

Making your own blocks, imagine that!

That seems tedious but now that you have done it I'm tempted to give it a go.

Don't know if I would make enough for an entire build though.

To get the 3 holes did you drill them out ?
Hi Rowboat.

I laminated some odds and ends left over from previous builds. I alternated 10 X .5 mm strips and placed three 2 X .5mm on them to get the triple block. That process would work just as well for single or double blocks. The attached pic shows what I did, I didn't spent much time on this initial experiment, I was more interested in whether I could make my own blocks.

1E656889-9CDF-4315-BE06-469FD1B125B9_1_201_a.jpeg

My next set will be done much more carefully.

Jan

Back