La Couronne Corel/scratch 1:100 First build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi, I followed your sail commentary very closely, indeed several times. (Brilliant work I must restate) So I do understand what you have written in this reply. “Tearaway Stabiliser” is a cotton type backing used for tapestry/embroidery to stiffen material and is pulled away once the work has been completed. The reason I asked is in watching Olha’s video for the umpteenth time ‘Sewing sails for ship models in scale ½”-1ft – (part 1)
From 6min43sec she uses something which at 7min21sec is torn off. I presume she has or is using Tearaway Stabiliser at some point in her sail making. Hence my question to you.

So far prior and during your sail making submission I purchased and made up 3 x sets of sails using, Pure cotton Lawn, Stretch Sateen and Muslin. My preferences remain undecided between Lawn and Sateen. Muslin is too thin and soft to manage so I discarded it. Initially the sewing was a little ‘wonky donkey’ but improved during progress. The main issue encountered was sewing the Leech(s). The material kept pulling in and made it difficult to sew straight on these edges. This is why I started to explore methods to avoid this happening and came across ‘Tearaway.

What I did manage to complete became a disaster when dying with tea and or coffee. Tea was too orange, coffee better drunk than used as a dye. Bituminous stain (furniture Ind) no longer available here and the smallest Stockholm Tar available is 1 x Litre enough to dye the entire Spanish Armada which I doubt is possible for me to make in my remaining lifetime. It’s frustrating because I need to update my progress on “La Pinta” but I’m stuck on sails. Lord forbid when I get to Ratlines. Respectfully I’m using your guidance/instructions for sail making as denoted way above which I have bookmarked. Thank you for replying and cheers to you.
Oh, THAT stuff. No, I don't use it. My hands are steady enough and my sewing machine tuned well enough to allow me to make very controlled stitches. With the Navara lawn white, that fabric is so thin it may need a backing to stiffen it. I haven't started sewing with that fabric yet. If it is too thin to control, I'll give the tearaway stabilizer a try. Thanks!

And one from the Middle Ages!
I made that suit of armor in my 20's, when I was skinny and could wear the armor of an 18 year old Austrian Arch Duke! Today, I need to wear Henry VIII's foot fighting suit of plate. ROTF All the arms and armour I made myself with years of work over the anvil. The swiss halberd and bardiche in the background were also made many decades ago. Most of my friends like the Roman armour the best, but I'm a big fan of Gothic German armour of the 1490's.

This was Henry's. I wish it was mine!
1686443666611.png

Some of my armour harnesses...
Elbow points.JPG

No military collection is complete without at least one catapult, like this ballista I built below. I feel the need to buy a cannon . . .
BallistaPortraitRear.jpg

Last edited:
I made that suit of armor in my 20's, when I was skinny and could wear the armor of an 18 year old Austrian Arch Duke! Today, I need to wear Henry VIII's foot fighting suit of plate. ROTF All the arms and armour I made myself with years of work over the anvil. The swiss halberd and bardiche in the background were also made many decades ago. Most of my friends like the Roman armour the best, but I'm a big fan of Gothic German armour of the 1490's.

View attachment 379093

View attachment 379094

No military collection is complete without at least one catapult, like this ballista I built below. I feel the need to buy a cannon . . .
View attachment 379095
I’d have to wear an Abrams tank!

View attachment 379093

View attachment 379094

View attachment 379095
Impressive armor work Kurt!

Just when you think you're finished, you find something else to add . . .

The fact that I never put reinforcement knees on the channels has been eating at me for over a year now. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I pulled the Plexiglas off and fabricated some knees for all the channels, 4 for the main channels, 3 for the fore channels, and 2 for the mizzen channels.

Using Mondfeld as a guide, Some 1/2" corner molding was used as for making the knees to save time.
1689370929659.png

1404 Cuttijng Knees for Channels.jpg

Trimming the stained pieces to the proper angles between the channel and the hull. Each one is custom fit.
1405 Customizing Angles to Fit Hull.jpg

Using tweezers, each of the four knees are glued to the hull and channel on each side of the ship, here the main channel is shown.
1406 Adding Four Knees to Main Channels.jpg

Three knees on the fore channel.
1407 Adding Three Knees to Fore Channels.jpg

Main channel.
1408 Knees on Main Channel.jpg

Fore channel.
1409 Channel Knee.jpg

Two knees on each mizzen channel.
1410 Adding Two Knees to Mizzen Channels.jpg

FINALLY done? Time will tell. . .
1411 Finally Done.jpg

Just when you think you're finished, you find something else to add . . .

The fact that I never put reinforcement knees on the channels has been eating at me for over a year now. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I pulled the Plexiglas off and fabricated some knees for all the channels, 4 for the main channels, 3 for the fore channels, and 2 for the mizzen channels.

Using Mondfeld as a guide, Some 1/2" corner molding was used as for making the knees to save time.
View attachment 384751

View attachment 384752

Trimming the stained pieces to the proper angles between the channel and the hull. Each one is custom fit.
View attachment 384753

Using tweezers, each of the four knees are glued to the hull and channel on each side of the ship, here the main channel is shown.
View attachment 384754

Three knees on the fore channel.
View attachment 384755

Main channel.
View attachment 384756

Fore channel.
View attachment 384757

Two knees on each mizzen channel.
View attachment 384758

FINALLY done? Time will tell. . .
View attachment 384759
You made a impressive looking model, Kurt. With beautiful sails.
I am sure you will find something to ad …….
But for now, keep looking and enjoy!
Regards, Peter

You made a impressive looking model, Kurt. With beautiful sails.
I am sure you will find something to ad …….
But for now, keep looking and enjoy!
Regards, Peter
Got any suggestions? ROTF More ideas are welcome. Maybe the model will eventually have as much stuff on it as Hubac's Historian's Soliel Royal! (no way...)

Back