La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

@Uwek
@Tobias
Hello,
thank you for your interest and the nice comments and also thank you to the others, also for the many LIKES.

Here I continue with my report:
Ratlines for the topmast shrouds - Enflechures
Long enough I shied away from attaching the ratlines to the topmast shrouds, also aware that this requires extremely sensitive precision work.
The ratlines for the topmast shrouds of the La Créole had a smaller diameter than those of the lower shrouds, so these have ø 0.25 mm in model scale. Some time ago I made a successful attempt to attach these thin ratlines to the outer shrouds by means of eyes. The formation of the corresponding eyes was done by a simple splice or fake splice.
I also reported that for this difficult work in the rigging an adapted working height is very advantageous. Accordingly, I got myself a scissor lift in order to obtain the optimum working height steplessly.
Who doesn't know the strain of maintaining a steady hand when doing detailed work in the rigging. A flexible support option close to the position to be worked on would certainly be a great help. With this in mind, briefly searched for suitable material for implementation and set to work.
In addition, besides the storage facility for rigging tools etc., appropriate lighting was also installed, which brings even more advantages for working in the rigging.
In retrospect, I am very glad to have built this simple auxiliary device. It facilitates this work immensely. It is easy to adapt to new situations.
_DSC7994.jpg

Now back to the actual topic, the ratlines of the topmast shrouds. I started with the mizzen topmast to see if it is at all feasible in the intended form. The further up you go in the direction of the crosstrees, the smaller the distance between the shrouds, which ultimately means less and less space for the simple splice. In the end, I achieved it. In this respect, the way is now clear for the remaining ratlines.
DSC00449.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

The last picture should give an impression of the different thicknesses of the ratlines.
_DSC8023.jpg

See you soon ...

Dear Johann
you are doing wonderful work on the rigging, and specially on the ratlines. the auxiliary device looks very helpful.
well done Thumbsup:)

A lot of lift - the model down and the scissors up
Great results with the thinny 0,25mm ratlines - wow - especially you made the knots once more like they were actually done and not "faked" like we as normal modelers would make them - WOW WOW WOW

Continuation: Ratlines for the topmast shrouds - Enflechures
In the meantime I was able to finish the ratlines on the starboard side of the mizzen topmast shrouds.
The tangle of ropes in the upper right corner of the following picture are the topgallant shrouds and royal shrouds that have not been fixed yet.
DSC00464.jpg

In the next step the main topmast shrouds will get the ratlines.

Continuation: Ratlines for the top mast shrouds - Enflechures
In the meantime, the main mast has received the ralines at the top mast shrouds, at least on the starboard side. The futtock stave just below the crosstrees, I have also already attached.
Here are two pictures:
DSC066734_wett.jpg

DSC066735_wett.jpg

See you soon ...

Last edited:
@Frank48

Hello,

thanks for your interest in my log.

But in order not to spread incorrectness here, I clarify that what you show in my report is not generally valid. The binding of the dead-eyes in the shrouds has changed over the years and was also different depending on the nation.

Therefore, what you show in my report definitely does not apply to the La Créole.

See the following picture of the original model from the Musée de la Marine in Paris.
taljereeps_LaCreole.jpg
Source: Musée national de la Marine

Last edited:
taljereeps_LaCreole.jpg
it is good to see in this picture that the distance between the deadeyes is the same and that the upper deadeyes are not parallel to the channels, but go down when the angle of the shroud is increase. (discussion in https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini.5904/post-220665 ) Johann do you have a better photo of this where you can see the whole channel?

@Frank48

Hello,

thanks for your interest in my log.

But in order not to spread incorrectness here, I clarify that what you show in my report is not generally valid. The binding of the dead-eyes in the shrouds has changed over the years and was also different depending on the nation.

Therefore, what you show in my report definitely does not apply to the La Créole.

See the following picture of the original model from the Musée de la Marine in Paris.
View attachment 287382
I was not referring to your model but, in general, I apologize if I invaded your yard what I posted is the reference to the tying of the tailor on the bigoted (the verse), I redeem myself again it is not my style to create controversy

sartie.jpg

Last edited:
Back