La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
Thank you for your request in this regard.
I will probably try to come to the forum meeting in Augsburg, as far as the Corona situation allows.
But when I come, I unfortunately cannot take the La Creole with me, because due to the size and the current state of construction, the effort of transporting it with possible damage to the model would be simply too great for me.

Hi there,
the first strop for the heavy garnet tackle block with (croc à émerillon) the swivel hook is ready.
The others are then produced in the same way.
DSC00286.JPG
Quelle: Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe Nr. 1, Pl. 2

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
Thank you for your request in this regard.
I will probably try to come to the forum meeting in Augsburg, as far as the Corona situation allows.
But when I come, I unfortunately cannot take the La Creole with me, because due to the size and the current state of construction, the effort of transporting it with possible damage to the model would be simply too great for me.
Fully understandable
- maybe you can take some small samples of your amazing metal works of your rigging with you - I would like to use the possibility to talk with you and learn .....
Staunen und lernen !
Hope to see you in Augsburg next March

Continuation: Garnet tackle - Palan d'etai
In the meantime I have finished all the components for the garnet tackles.
The pendants were hung up on a specially made mast collar with a thimble. I made these hooks with thimbles using my own method. For this purpose, an 18 mm long brass rod with a diameter of 1.2 mm was turned off with a needle file on the Proxxon fine grinder so that the thickened areas were created at the corresponding points on the hooks. I made the thimbles in the tried and tested manner from brass tubes.
DSC00287.jpg

The next picture shows the finished hooks with thimbles, not yet blackened.
DSC00288.jpg

The other two pictures show all components of the 3 garnet tackles:
- 6 double blocks, 3 of which have swivel hooks for the tackles
- 4 single blocks for the guides, 2 of them with hooks
- 2 guide elements
- 2 mast collars (one tackle was lashed directly to the stay with an eye)
- ropes ø 0.46 mm and ø 0.67 mm (original ø 32 mm or ø 22 mm)
- 3 pendants ø 0.90 mm (original ø 43 mm)
DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

Sequel follows …

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your interest.

The production of the thimbles can be seen very well in the following pictures.
I think that pictures say more than a thousand words ... :)

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

So far 3 different sizes of thimbles have been used on the model.
On the last picture you can see thimbles with the following diameters from right to left:

Ø 2,6 mm
Ø 2,2 mm
Ø 1,1 mm

DSC07834.jpg

Model is great, but the metal work and rigging is unparalleled to anything else. Johann, have you considered writing a book/monograph on metal work/rigging? Many modellers would benefit from it. Many thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

Addendum: garnet tackle - Palan d'etai
I almost forgot something. Because to secure the garnet tackle, eyebolts still have to be attached to the deck. I also found out that according to the Paris model, the hauling part for the garnet tackle, which is attached directly to the mainstay, has to be led over a single block.
So for this purpose some parts had to be made, which can be seen on the following picture (double block with swivel hook only for size comparison):
DSC00299.jpg

See you soon ...

Last edited:
Continuation: Garnet tackel - Palan d'etai
To check that the garnet tackels do not collide with pendants and guys, I attached them provisionally before final assembly. As already described, there is nothing in the monograph of J. Boudriot about the attachment of the granet tackle to the tops. Accordingly, I am guided by the representations in the Atlas du Génie maritime and by the photos from the original model. Accordingly, it can be seen that the attachments of the two garnet tackels to the tops were made on the starboard side.
_DSC7812.jpg

In the next picture a single block for guidance and the pendant with the tackle can be seen in detail:
_DSC7813.jpg

After the garnet tackle installation is complete, I will begin lashing the chaloupe and pinasse. The exact details of this still need final clarification.
To be continued ...

Just wonderful - looking at your work on the photos we can realy easily understand how the rigging was working, to understand the technique behind
With every post you make in your building log, I am learning something new ..... Many Many Thanks for sharing your progress and knowledge

Model is great, but the metal work and rigging is unparalleled to anything else. Johann, have you considered writing a book/monograph on metal work/rigging? Many modellers would benefit from it. Many thanks for sharing your wonderful work.
Hello,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Sorry, unfortunately I haven't answered your question yet.
Unfortunately, I don't have the talent and time to write a book.
In this respect, I have not considered it.
But I think that everyone who is interested can read and see it in my construction report. In the same way I can learn from your building reports.

Back