LA SALAMANDRE, bomb ketch - POF - (CAF-models, 1/48)

Today I restarted activities at the workshop with the small project in the project.

The kit includes also two boats, also POF construction - please take a look at the building log of the Salamandre longboat in scale 1:48 from CAF

My latest activity on the longboat of the 1:48 La Salamandre you can find here:

IMG_30981.jpg

The skeleton of the longboat is removed from jig ready for the planking

IMG_31061.jpg

Happy Birthday wishes from all of us Uwe!!!!! Have a wonderful day full of joy and happiness Birthday-Cake !!!

Sometimes it is necessary to say - Now it is enough.....sanding
Yesterday I finished for the moment the sanding activities of the hull of my La Salamandre. Inside and off course also outside.
Maybe at some smaller areas there will be something necessary, when I install the planking, wales etc., but this I can do also directly before.

In addition at this stage I want also to make some small resumee of the kit and want to review some decissions I made during the preparation and installations of the frames:

1) The elements of kit from CAF is fitting extremely good, means that the 3D model which was the basis for the laser cutting of the elements is very accurate and correct. You can rely on these laser lines by 99,5%
2) Due to the fact, that I did not rely on these lines in the beginng, I left on every frame some meat for later sanding. This was one of the reasons, why I had to sand hours and hours more than maybe usual.
3) I was happy, that I tried to prepare the single frames (all together 44) very accurate - with this well prepared frames you can reduce the hull sanding extremely.
4) Take the time for the stem and stern parts. A good and detailed preparation of these elements is a good investment. It is worth to spend these additional hours to get a good result at the end. Dry-fitting, maybe sometimes with double sided adhesive tape was for me a good way to check over and over again.
5) Some things or steps I would maybe adjust a little bit, but overall it worked out well for me.
6) Most important: Do not get in "love" with your ship - I realized at the end, that I like to touch her fine lines...... ;)

Now the status of my built, as usual maybe more photos as usual in a log, but you know, it is for other modelers working on the same kit. And I could not decide which photos not to show.
Enjoy

View attachment 46624

View attachment 46623 View attachment 46622

View attachment 46625 View attachment 46626

The bow with the hawse pieces
View attachment 46627 View attachment 46628 View attachment 46629

View attachment 46630

The hawse pieces from inside and the outside hull
View attachment 46632 View attachment 46634 View attachment 46633

View attachment 46635

The stern with the lower fashion pieces, after installation of the keelson elements the finishing of the stern construction is one of the next steps.
Herefore I have to reinstall the hull into the jig (which is no problem, because it fits very well)
View attachment 46637 View attachment 46638

View attachment 46636 View attachment 46639View attachment 46641

View attachment 46640 View attachment 46642 View attachment 46631

View attachment 46643

Many Thanks for your interest ........ To be continued ......
This is absolutely stunning! Wonderful work. I've started seriously considering CAF's Salamandre or Requin for my next project.

Thank you for the interest and re-activating this topic -> unfortunately this project is on hold, due to the work on the section of the USS Bonhomme Richard

I thought, that I need some short interruption with a small project in between......but also such a section needs (surprisingly ;) ) a lot of time, if you want to make it well - But I hope to come back to the La Salamandre in some time - Many Thanks once more

Yesterday evening I had the chance to make a small photo session of the working steps of the installation of brass nails

1) some planks are glued down, visible is my hand drill with a 0,5mm drill and the brass wire of 0,55 thinkness
View attachment 53033

2) holes drilled with a pseudo nailing pattern
View attachment 53034

3) with the help of a pliers I push the wire in the drilled whole
View attachment 53035

4) For cutting I am using a nipper pliers which cuts close to the plank
View attachment 53036

5) with this the length of brass wire outside the hole is as short as possible - here 2 "nails" are installed and 2 holes are still empty
View attachment 53037

6) all 4 "nails" are installed but not sanded down
View attachment 53038

7) this is the sanding block I use usually, with normal sandpaper
View attachment 53039

8) the "nails" after some 3 or 4 times going over the wire
View attachment 53040

9) some 2 or 3 times more
View attachment 53041

10) and the final result of brass nails in planks
View attachment 53042 View attachment 53043

Hope to show you soon also some performance on my La Salamandre ..... to be continued .....
Very interesting,do you drill halfway or all the way//Larsa
And thanks for letting us now

Here you can see a frame glued together. I am using a thick glass plate and put some heavy steel plates as additional weight.
With the glass plate I have the security, that it is very plane and distribute the weight equaly towards the frame........
usually over the floor timber is also one weight, I removed it only for the photo.

View attachment 35406View attachment 35407

......and you can see the frame if you want to see the glue drying ;)

So, now you know how I make the frames (in moment).....comments, hints what´s so ever are welcome
Ciao Uwek, ammiro questo tipo di modellismo, ma non fa per me. Preferisco vederli chiusi gli scafi. E' ammiragliato?

Però guarderò con calma e interesse anche questo tuo lavoro.

Hi Uwek, I admire this type of modeling, but it's not for me.
I prefer to see their hulls closed.

Is it admiralty?

But I will also look at this work of yours with calm and interest.

Back