La Soleil Royal 1:90 Scale (ZHL) A Bandido Build

Bandido, the instructions show the lanyards too long and too white. From what I've seen, they should come up to about the railing. Sailors wouldn't be able to reach the ratlines at that height. Something to think about for your next one. I certainly wouldn't wat to redo all those ratlines. Once is enough!
In principle you are right, but sometimes there was no other way - so they had to improvise to be able to get / step up to the normal ratlines
Just found this photo posted by @RogerD in @Heinrich s log where you can see a single ratline installed (at the right bottom of the photo) with which the seamen made the first steps
673A87EB-8EE4-44AC-BC40-C1B77F285CC4.jpeg

Bandido, the instructions show the lanyards too long and too white. From what I've seen, they should come up to about the railing. Sailors wouldn't be able to reach the ratlines at that height. Something to think about for your next one. I certainly wouldn't wat to redo all those ratlines. Once is enough!
I tend to agree with Vic here
But redoing the ratlines mean a lot of additional work ...

Vic, you are right, and you are right again I am not going to re do. all those rat lines, but lessons learned! scaling off the plans or following the plans can and do create issues of scaling to real life, all the measurements I am using came from the plans! 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, sheet plans! If anything, I have learned with this build one I am a novice! Two building to correct scale with a kit is very complicated process, especially when you do depend on the plans to construct the kit, due to the lack of knowledge and three, thinking the company has at least scaled the plans correctly. The old saying, you don't see the forest for the trees. well, that is me. on this one. I begin to understand why some members do build from scratch!

Vic, you are right, and you are right again I am not going to re do. all those rat lines, but lessons learned! scaling off the plans or following the plans can and do create issues of scaling to real life, all the measurements I am using came from the plans! 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, sheet plans! If anything, I have learned with this build one I am a novice! Two building to correct scale with a kit is very complicated process, especially when you do depend on the plans to construct the kit, due to the lack of knowledge and three, thinking the company has at least scaled the plans correctly. The old saying, you don't see the forest for the trees. well, that is me. on this one. I begin to understand why some members do build from scratch!
Yeah, this wasn't really a critique--more of a suggestion. I'm a relative newby too. In fact, my avatar's name in some of the games I've played is Permanoob. I think you're doing great. But we all learn by doing. And then we sometimes forget. For example: I broke four strakes trying to twist and turn them on my Galilee Boat. Then Paul @dockattner mentioned using an electric heat rod, and I remembered how I had used one on the strakes for my Soleil and my Black Pearl. I slapped my head and cried, "Duh!"

Yeah, this wasn't really a critique--more of a suggestion. I'm a relative newby too. In fact, my avatar's name in some of the games I've played is Permanoob. I think you're doing great. But we all learn by doing. And then we sometimes forget. For example: I broke four strakes trying to twist and turn them on my Galilee Boat. Then Paul @dockattner mentioned using an electric heat rod, and I remembered how I had used one on the strakes for my Soleil and my Black Pearl. I slapped my head and cried, "Duh!"
morning. Now try to look back to the 1960th, when I started, with the inky information coming with the Kit. It was the time you built, went to the waste bin, and tried again. Then the big lack of tools, BUT you learned with it. I have built in my time over 30 Ships without having Lates, Fraeser, computer, drawings programs, etc. so do not cry. None of the great painters were grand painters for the first time. I have never had any mechanical tools except a few Dremels -which doing my own helping tools, could make many things including Fraeser. I never used an electric, mechanical saw. the old hack saw. I still have it, so don't cry, in year two, you will do much better
you learn more by making mistakes than by not
below nearly all my tools except the Dremels. the ship-"Norske Love" -finished1 in 1973, was my first big build, with many mistakes, but it was really the only ship -when building -that I had a type of love affair. It lasted 50 Years. You may be new in the building, but today you are not ALONE, you SOS, computer, etc. sometimes I find that there is too much information

03-BAC TOOLS-040.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-043.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-048.jpg

AA-03-BASIC TOOLS-111 (9).jpg

01_ NORSKE LOVE 1.jpg

morning. Now try to look back to the 1960th, when I started, with the inky information coming with the Kit. It was the time you built, went to the waste bin, and tried again. Then the big lack of tools, BUT you learned with it. I have built in my time over 30 Ships without having Lates, Fraeser, computer, drawings programs, etc. so do not cry. None of the great painters were grand painters for the first time. I have never had any mechanical tools except a few Dremels -which doing my own helping tools, could make many things including Fraeser. I never used an electric, mechanical saw. the old hack saw. I still have it, so don't cry, in year two, you will do much better
below nearly all my tools except the Dremels. the ship-"Norske Love" -finished1 in 1973, was my first big build, with many mistakes, but it was really the only ship -when building -that I had a type of love affair. It lasted 50 Years. You may be new in the building, but today you are not ALONE, you SOS, computer, etc. sometimes I find that there is too much information

View attachment 355268

View attachment 355269

View attachment 355270

View attachment 355271

View attachment 355272

View attachment 355268

View attachment 355269

View attachment 355270

View attachment 355271

View attachment 355272

Well, it's been 12 months since I opened the box on this ship. It's been a learning experience for me. I still have a long way to go but I actually see the finish line?? Will be traveling to the U.S on vacation this march for a couple months. but maybe the finish August?? still haven't decided on the sails? but have been thinking about a case for the ship,

IMG_20230223_151802_2.jpg

IMG_20230223_151821_2.jpg

This is very very good progress for the time period of one year
Keep care and enjoy the trip to the States :cool:

View attachment 355268

View attachment 355269

View attachment 355270

View attachment 355271

View attachment 355272

AA-2-NORSKE LOVE.jpg

02 Norske love 2.jpg

THE 1ST. ONE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST lASER CUT NORSKE lOVE. I HAD THEM FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS, but then for other reasons I have to move, so no space and more they went to two fish restaurants in Malaga- on the seafront. without any protection, so one day I collected both. Of the two I made the last one. The last picture with a small modification

Well, it's been 12 months since I opened the box on this ship. It's been a learning experience for me. I still have a long way to go but I actually see the finish line?? Will be traveling to the U.S on vacation this march for a couple months. but maybe the finish August?? still haven't decided on the sails? but have been thinking about a case for the ship,

View attachment 359048

View attachment 359049
Hi Bandido
Enjoy your time in the States
I feel you are quite optimistic regarding completion in August.
Based on my experience with the Soleil Royal, rigging is very time consuming. t took me 8-9 months (including sails)

Hi Bandido
Enjoy your time in the States
I feel you are quite optimistic regarding completion in August.
Based on my experience with the Soleil Royal, rigging is very time consuming. t took me 8-9 months (including sails)
You are probably right Gilbert! The sails that is the question? I purchased sails for the ship through ZHL but looking at them the weight of the material is too heavy! I guess I could furrow them? again I am not decided?

I bought some that were meant for a different ship, but they fit pretty well. I haven’t had much luck with ZHL sails.
Yes, I will have to look around. I feel they need to be a real light material and white so I can. tone them down a bit with watered down tea! and then starch them? I have never done sails before as all my other ships are just rigged. looking at your ship Vic and Gilberts looks like a lot of work!! and I haven't found much info on how To's!

Yes, I will have to look around. I feel they need to be a real light material and white so I can. tone them down a bit with watered down tea! and then starch them? I have never done sails before as all my other ships are just rigged. looking at your ship Vic and Gilberts looks like a lot of work!! and I haven't found much info on how To's!
You might want to contact Kurt @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS. He does a pretty good job of explaining things and doing the research.

Did someone say SAILS? I can help, even though I am not as experienced as many here. I learned sail making from Olha Batchvarov:

First, watch this video.

Here is how I made sails for La Couronne: SAILS
My build log has all the details. If you have any questions, let me know.
df-shot-jpg.298969

Hi B
You are probably right Gilbert! The sails that is the question? I purchased sails for the ship through ZHL but looking at them the weight of the material is too heavy! I guess I could furrow them? again I am not decided?
Hi Bandido
I did not like the sails sold by ZHL either. Poor quality indeed.
Instead, I bought the Solail Royal sails from Mantua that I think are much nicer (same scale).
Just if you want to consider this option.

Back