La Soleil Royal 1:90 Scale (ZHL) A Bandido Build

Sounds like advice from Darivs Architectvs. Sound advice. I attempted to follow that path on my SR. There are SO many lines on the SR, though. When you add the lines for sails, you wind up creating a place for them to be belayed. If you follow the directions you will have multiple lines belayed to one pin. Sometimes I had to just find a place. You’re becoming quite the craftsman.

I agree on the Le soleil as the sheet plans are just about worthless, I am using the sheets for scale, your build and another online build to figure out where everything goes. when I get to the sails, I still haven't decided which way to go! no sails? furrowed sails? Or as you went with bluff Sails! Your ship turned out just wonderful and looks great with bluff sails, but it might be too much for my current experience and patients!! I have got time before I will need to decide.

I agree on the Le soleil as the sheet plans are just about worthless, I am using the sheets for scale, your build and another online build to figure out where everything goes. when I get to the sails, I still haven't decided which way to go! no sails? furrowed sails? Or as you went with bluff Sails! Your ship turned out just wonderful and looks great with bluff sails, but it might be too much for my current experience and patients!! I have got time before I will need to decide.
Thanks for the complement. I found the instructions with the separately bought sails to be very instructive. The only problem was tying off the lines where other non-sail lines were already belayed. If you have a question, I'm pretty much available. God bless and good luck. I think you'll do fine whatever you decide.

Finally received my new small transport boats and have assembled and installed on the ship I also have installed the rigging for the bowsprit mast, not perfect but it's a learning experience on how to approach the main, fore and mizzen mast, lanyards dead eyes and rat lines!! I made the jig for the fore mast install, but before I can get started, I am waiting for my serving machine, seems like I am always waiting for something!

View attachment 346024

View attachment 346025

View attachment 346026
Good morning. The boats look cool. Very nice. I like the jig/method you have set up for the shroud dead eyes. This work well for my clumsy rigging style. Cheers Grant

Good morning. The boats look cool. Very nice. I like the jig/method you have set up for the shroud dead eyes. This work well for my clumsy rigging style. Cheers Grant
Started the second phase of my ship the rigging! began the task of installing the forestays, and then the Shrouds, lanyards and deadeyes, I am trying to look ahead as much as possible, to rig things that might be covered up by other rigging making it more difficult to install later, not easy!! Received my serving machine, it takes some practice to get used to the model I bought, but i am getting there! after looking at all the different ways everyone has rigged the le Soleil, and there are quite a few different styles used to rig the same boat, I have decided to stay with the plan as much as possible, whether it be right or wrong!! It can get very confusing! some of what I have completed looks good some could be improved, but i feel good about what I have done!!!

IMG_20221226_162211.jpg

IMG_20221226_162215 (1).jpg

IMG_20221226_162219.jpg

IMG_20221226_162226.jpg

IMG_20221226_162241.jpg

IMG_20221226_162415.jpg

Started the second phase of my ship the rigging! began the task of installing the forestays, and then the Shrouds, lanyards and deadeyes, I am trying to look ahead as much as possible, to rig things that might be covered up by other rigging making it more difficult to install later, not easy!! Received my serving machine, it takes some practice to get used to the model I bought, but i am getting there! after looking at all the different ways everyone has rigged the le Soleil, and there are quite a few different styles used to rig the same boat, I have decided to stay with the plan as much as possible, whether it be right or wrong!! It can get very confusing! some of what I have completed looks good some could be improved, but i feel good about what I have done!!!

View attachment 347535

View attachment 347536

View attachment 347537

View attachment 347538

View attachment 347539

View attachment 347540
She's coming along nicely. You will be proud of her when you finish. Your blocks look great! Good choice.

just about have the shrouds completed will finish up the Mizzen tomorrow! I have been thinking about the ratline color. I think I have decided to do them in a light brown, The shroud lines are Dark Brown the contrast will look interesting, and different as all the Le Soleil models are done in the same color as the Shrouds?? I have not been following the standard layout for the kit anyway so I think it will look good! Any Thoughts!!

IMG_20230101_163900_2.jpg

IMG_20230101_163919_2.jpg

just about have the shrouds completed will finish up the Mizzen tomorrow! I have been thinking about the ratline color. I think I have decided to do them in a light brown, The shroud lines are Dark Brown the contrast will look interesting, and different as all the Le Soleil models are done in the same color as the Shrouds?? I have not been following the standard layout for the kit anyway so I think it will look good! Any Thoughts!!

View attachment 348639

View attachment 348640
WELL DONE RENENBER THE RATLINES ARE 4-5 TINES THINNER- UAPPY BUILDIND 2023

View attachment 348639

View attachment 348640
Hi Bandido
Looks really nice
Happy New year

Hi Bandido
My next project will be the Panart Amerigo Vespucci 1:84 scale.
I have started a few days before leaving for the US. See here
I am currently staying with my kids in MD and TX and will resume the build when I am back towards the end of February.
Cheers

Hi Bandido
I am currently staying with my kids in MD and TX and will resume the build when I am back towards the end of February.
Cheers
Md is where I was born Baltimore, Have a good time in the U.S. Pretty cold there right now! Texas might be a little Warmer :)

Hi Bandido
Cheers
All the best to you with your next build
nº1: my first big build- Norske Love 1973 -This model came into the market before there was something like Laser cut- but the only model I had was a type of Love affaire. The the2Nd is the same model ship in 1984 -now laser-cut and with much better fitting. the 3Rd Soleigh Royal from Altaya/DeAgostine. it took 4 years to get all the pieces and with a price of direct1000 €but as it came weekly in an A4 format, all planks for the planking were divided into 3, and each bulkhead rather than this.. no way to add nailes, so I got full lenghs planks from my local shop- 1200 mm

01_ NORSKE LOVE 1.jpg

AA-2-NORSKE LOVE.jpg

2014-05-28 21.20.47.png

All the best to you with your next build
nº1: my first big build- Norske Love 1973 -This model came into the market before there was something like Laser cut- but the only model I had was a type of Love affaire. The the2Nd is the same model ship in 1984 -now laser-cut and with much better fitting. the 3Rd Soleigh Royal from Altaya/DeAgostine. it took 4 years to get all the pieces and with a price of direct1000 €but as it came weekly in an A4 format, all planks for the planking were divided into 3, and each bulkhead rather than this.. no way to add nailes, so I got full lenghs planks from my local shop- 1200 mm

View attachment 349099

View attachment 349100

View attachment 349101
Well, it's been a while since I posted anything on my build. needed to take a break and do some things around the house but got back on it and completed the lower rat lines. clove hitches clove, hitches clove hitches, over 800 of them :rolleyes: not my favorite task on model ship building but a necessary part of all ships!!!! like it or not! I think I think I will work on the lower yards and install them before I start on the second level of lanyards. try to get them fairly rigged up and installed. the shrouds and lanyards are not perfect, but they are ok. learned a lot made a mis caulk on the lanyards did not figure in the length lost. when stacked on each other around the masts so the shrouds are not at the same height, but they will do on this build, will remember that on my next ship build, :(

IMG_20230202_123709.jpg

IMG_20230202_123827.jpg

IMG_20230202_123949 (1).jpg

Bandido, the instructions show the lanyards too long and too white. From what I've seen, they should come up to about the railing. Sailors wouldn't be able to reach the ratlines at that height. Something to think about for your next one. I certainly wouldn't wat to redo all those ratlines. Once is enough!

Bandido, the instructions show the lanyards too long and too white. From what I've seen, they should come up to about the railing. Sailors wouldn't be able to reach the ratlines at that height. Something to think about for your next one. I certainly wouldn't wat to redo all those ratlines. Once is enough!
YOU are right. This is the same error I see with the footropes. let's say that at that time an average high was about 1,70-75 meters- then the sailors were hanging over the yard with their stomachs meaning that the footrope should set half the high about 0,85 meters- have a look on the Scale

4980--SQUAR SAIL UPHOLD.jpg

Back