Planset review LA VOLAGE – A long bark / Barque longue - 1693 in scale 1:24 or 1:36 by Jean-Claude Lemineur

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
LA VOLAGE
A long bark / Barque longue

Scale 1:24 or 1:36
by Jean-Claude Lemineur

IMG-54361a.jpg IMG-54371a.jpg

Brand new release, just some days ago published and already in the french version on my desk - many thanks to Dider Berti from ancre for the fast and safe postage.

This very comprehensive and detailed monograph / planset is available directly via ancre web-page

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/114-l...html#/langue-english_complete_monograph_1_36e

The monograph is available in french, italian, spanish or english language (english on end of January)
and also you can choose between 1:24 or 1:36

Some excerpts from the ancre web-page:

la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (1).jpg la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (2).jpg la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (3).jpg

Unbenannt1.JPG

la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (4).jpg la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (5).jpg la-volage-barque-longue-1693.jpg

la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (6).jpg

Size of the model

Unbenannt.JPG

SYNOPSIS:

This new monograph is concerned with the study of a long bark, the Volage, built in Dunkirk in 1693, in the middle of the War of the Great Alliance by René Levasseur, the first master shipwright who succeded Hendrick who died in 1689.

The Volage was a warship of Louis XIV French Royal Navy. Armed with ten 4-pdrs, with a burthen of 50 tons and a 50-man crew, she was one the biggest of her class with a length of 63 ½ feet.

In the Navy records of 1696 to 1702, reported as being good, and even sharp under sail. Realy built for privateering, she possessed nautical properties that allowed her to overtake her preys, and therefore, to be highly apprciated by Dunkirk privateers.

It was aboard a similar bark that Jean Bart began his talented career as a privateer captain in 1674 during the conflict with the United Provinces of the Low Countries.

The Volage participated in the guerilla warfare initiated by Vauban and from 1693, by the Royal Navy itself against English trading fleets, within the framework of the War of the Great Alliance. Her activities probably continued during the War of Spanish Succession. Ordinarily, she insured the safety of the French coasts, protecting merchant vessels from piratical raiding. Her missions extended to the protection of fishing fleets on the Newfoundland Grand Banks. She was striken from the Navy list in 1706, hauled ashore and rebuilt at Dieppe, probably for a private ship owner.

The Volage, a regular ship of war has nothing in common with the Belle, built at Rochefort in 1684 by Pierre Masson, which was an ordinary bark rigged as a corvette.

The reconstruction of the Volage was carried out using two specifications to be found in a manuscript preserved at the Paris Navy Museum, one of them contains the dimensions and the other one the rigging. They were used to describe her architecture and the characteristics of her construction. To these documents, is added information obtained from a memoir by Hendricks about his method for drafting ships lines.

Military long barks are a subject that was long overlooked. The reader will find in this document, treated in exhaustive detail, all the details susceptible of informing him about the ship. It will provide ship modelers with the opportunity to build a particularly realistic model.

CONTENTS

The book is presented in a blue fabric-covered 24x31 cm box containing a 104-page brochure that includes the sources, history and plates in a reduced scale, along with commentaries and a 16-page color brochure containing details of rigged and timbered models, as well as the 31 plates at the 1/26th scale necessary to build the structure.

IMG-54381a.jpg

Contents of the booklet

Chapter 1 History and origins of the long bark
The Volage's own characteristics

Chapter 2 The careers of the Dunkirk master shipwrights
List of the barks built from 1671 to 1727

Chapter 3 The use of the sources and determination of the underwater hull lines
Volumetric characteristics of the underwater hull
Notes and decoration and paint of the shipwright

Chapter 4 Study of the rigging. Notes on the masts, sails and blocks

Chapter 5 Commentaries on the 31 reduced plates

Chapter VI Routing of the rigging lines

List of the plates / drawings

Plate N° 1 Schematic elevation and body plans
Plate N° 2 Schematic plan view
Plate N° 3 Construction of the stern
Plate N° 4 Construction of the hawse pieces
Plate N° 5 Midship frame and forward frames 1 to 4
Plate N° 6 - 11 Frames 6 – 11
Plate N° 12 Timbered elevation
Plate N° 13 Lengthwise section
Plate N° 14 - 16 Cross sections at some frames
Plate N° 17 Plans of accomodations
Plate N° 18 Plan of the bilge
Plate N° 19 Plan of the bare deck
Plate N° 20 Plan of the deck with furniture
Plate N° 21 Plan of the deck and castles
Plate N° 22 Plan of the finished deck and castles
Plate N° 23 Bare elevation
Plate N° 24 Dressed elevation
Plate N° 25 Front view of the stern
Plate N° 26 Construction of the head and the ship's boat
Plate N° 27 Furniture and artillery
Plate N° 28 Masts
Plate N° 29-30 Sails and boat's frames
Plate N° 31 The Volage under sail

To have a detailed LOOK INSIDE the booklet, the photo brochure and the drawings please take a look at the following posts

Attachments

• la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (7).jpg
    la-volage-barque-longue-1693 (7).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 141
  • PUB_VOLAGE_ANGL-2W (1).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 178
Planset Review: Part II
LA VOLAGE

by Jean-Claude Lemineur

Look Inside the Booklet:

IMG-54391a.jpg

IMG-54411a.jpg IMG-54421a.jpg

IMG-54431a.jpg IMG-54441a.jpg

IMG-54451a.jpg IMG-54461a.jpg

IMG-54461a.jpg

IMG-54471a.jpg IMG-54491a.jpg

IMG-54501a.jpg IMG-54511a.jpg

IMG-54521a.jpg IMG-54531a.jpg

Content list
IMG-54541a.jpg

Look Inside the colored brochure
with beautiful model of the Volage including the two section models of our member @Michele Padoan

Link to the building log on SOS:

IMG-54551a.jpg IMG-54631a.jpg

IMG-54561a.jpg IMG-54571a.jpg

IMG-54571a.jpg

IMG-54581a.jpg IMG-54591a.jpg

IMG-54611a.jpg

IMG-54611a.jpg IMG-54621a.jpg

IMG-546011a.jpg

These photos are the best advertisement for this monograph / planset

Planset Review: Part III
LA VOLAGE

by Jean-Claude Lemineur

Look Inside the drawings

IMG-54641a.jpg IMG-54651a.jpg

IMG-54651a.jpg

IMG-54661a.jpg IMG-54671a.jpg

IMG-54681a.jpg

IMG-54681a.jpg IMG-54691a.jpg

IMG-547011a.jpg

IMG-547011a.jpg

Until now a lot of modelers starting with scratch builds of the La Belle,
I think, that in future she has with a La Volage a very interesting and beautiful competitor
Also a great ship to build in a bigger scale..... very well done

Additional comment:
At the end of January the english version of this monograph will be released and Didier promised to me, that I will get immediately a copy.
So stay tuned - an update with the english copy will come soon

La Volage is the more elegant, narrower and faster racing counterpart of La Belle and has many similarities with it. Both have an oppressive narrowness in the forecastle for the operation of the capstan. But neither was a pleasure ship. The gunport covers on the La Belle open sideways. On La Volage, they open upwards and are very narrow in the shroud area. Interesting - two beds and two cooking facilities, one on the starboard and one on the port side.
Jean Claude Lemineur has created a very finely drawn monograph in which is probably more is depicted than the modeler will realize. The color supplement with models by Francis Clément and Michele Padoan is a nice bonus.
A downer - the linen cover is not printed with the ship's name as usual.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Oliver!

I am only aware of photos of the "La Belle" from the lower hull area. There were over a million items salvaged inside because the ship was a cargo ship for the new colonies. (Source: From a watery grave, the discovery and excavation of La Salle's shipwreck, La Belle, by James E. Bruseth and Toni S. Turner).
There are many versions of the "La Belle" with a bell and stairs and posts for the swivel guns. I have stuck with Boudriot so far. Otherwise it becomes too confusing.
The model builder Glenn Grieco has built several models of the "La Belle" for Texas A & M University. Among them is a model with 4 gunports per side with hinges hinged on the side and several models with 3 gunports with hinges hinged on the top.

I have not yet cut the folds on the gunports for the flaps. If you have any new insights I would appreciate it before I do something wrong.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to the English addition in a few weeks.
Kent

Hello Thomas,

i know only two models from Glenn. Both has three ports on a side. There is a theory that the La Belle had four ports but only three was armed.
There was found a gunportlid, which has the hinges on the upper side.
Glenn´s La Belle is very different to the drawings from Jean Boudriot. I think the facts for Glenns plan were more advanced than for Jean´s planset.
The reconstruction from both authors was different in many points. To mix both is dangerous in a running buildingprocess.

Hi Oliver!

Some research does not leave one in peace. I had to search further.

SANY1035.JPG
Gun mountings according to Boudriot (2000-2012).

SANY1038.JPG
From a watery grave, Bruseth (2005).

SANY1037.JPG
According to Gerard Delacroix, after the publication of Boudriot' Monograph, the cannon fortifications were still identified. This type of attachment indicates vertical opening and closing of the lids.
Now I can choose - completely according to plan or historically correct???

Best regards
Thomas

The planset of the LE VOLAGE from Jean-Claude LEMINEUR is now available also in the english version.
The translation was done by F. Fougerat

volage.JPG

The planset of the LE VOLAGE from Jean-Claude LEMINEUR is now available also in the english version.
The translation was done by F. Fougerat

View attachment 210927

I ordered the English version last week.
Kent

Ahoy!

LA VOLAGE planset ..... as usual high quality. :)

Decorative elements for the LA VOLAGE model.
Looking at the plans - SZKUTNIK TEAM arrived at the slightly different conclusion than FRANCIS CLEMENS.
We think, that decorations on the ship's sides and below the figure head should not have fully the filled background.

147472326_179175353546165_5325397856319070902_n.jpg
147285802_274573994008201_7937355729817222145_n.jpg

LA VOLAGE 11.jpgLA VOLAGE 12.jpgLA VOLAGE 17.jpg
LA VOLAGE 15.jpg

FRANCIS CLEMENS showed the decors with the solid background in his LA VOLAGE model.
LA VOLAGE 17A.jpg
LA VOLAGE 15A.jpg
20210206_095853.jpgLA VOLAGE 20jpg.jpg

Never mine. Both decor versions are available.

Back