Le Commerce de Marseille 1788 - 1801 scale 1:48 from Gerard Delacroix

Gennaro, you are correct... I ordered new milling cutters, but that will take a few weeks (that is why I tried it this way with 45 degree angle). In de meantime I replaced everything I made so far, so also the straight pieces....
There are several things I want to do different, let's see the result of the second attempt later... :cool:

Last edited:
Hello, my friend, those bits are more commonly used by CNC routers, are they suitable for our use in milling machines?
Yes why not. I use them in my Milling machine, but also in my handdrill to make ornaments. They are made of tungsten steel. (Carbon steel) very hard.
The shaft is 2,35 mm

A small update....
I created new parts for the keel...
20210620_174539 (1).jpg

These are, in general, much better than the former version... As you can see I combined the former mold with the bow-part. After I milled the rabet I erase the outer part of the bow-part.

Now I am waiting for the mills I ordered, meanwhile I still have to create the stern-part.

There is one more thing I would like to share....
I like to share the problems I encounter during this project, and the solutions I try to overcome these. Therefore It will not be a report like the one from Michele Padoan who makes a really beautiful version of the Commerce with stunning updates on his progress... ( I do consult his report lots of times :)
I think this way by reporting my faillures next to my victories it can also give others idea's on how to do it better, or to prevent making the same mistakes I did.
And, I hope, it gives others the feeling to be part of this project by advising on how to proceed based on my report...

There is one more thing I would like to share....
I like to share the problems I encounter during this project, and the solutions I try to overcome these. Therefore It will not be a report like the one from Michele Padoan who makes a really beautiful version of the Commerce with stunning updates on his progress... ( I do consult his report lots of times :)
I think this way by reporting my faillures next to my victories it can also give others idea's on how to do it better, or to prevent making the same mistakes I did.
And, I hope, it gives others the feeling to be part of this project by advising on how to proceed based on my report...
Very good - we all learn a lot also by made mistakes with rial and errors.
Independent if you make them by your self or you see them by some other friend.

There is something I would like to ask for you input.....
Like I already mentionend, I want to leave one side of the model open to show the interior. Michele did the same, and I would like to do something similar, but a bit different. Michele left large parts of the decks open, I am planning on closing them entirely, so the only way to see the inside is by the open side. Therefore, this side must be as open as possible, but at the same time I still want to show the curving of the hull.
In the picture below I show you a rough idea of wat I want to leave open. The only rib's that will stay intact are the ribs that also have an inner-rib (if you know what I mean)...
1 (1).jpg

I really would like to ask for your input on this. Do I miss important issues to take into consideration, is there another 'nicer' way to leave the side open. All comments/insides/idea's are very welcome...

C'è qualcosa che vorrei chiedere per il tuo input.....
Come ho già detto, voglio lasciare un lato del modello aperto per mostrare l'interno. Michele ha fatto lo stesso, e io vorrei fare qualcosa di simile, ma un po' diverso. Michele ha lasciato aperte gran parte dei ponti, ho intenzione di chiuderli del tutto, quindi l'unico modo per vedere l'interno è dal lato aperto. Pertanto, questo lato deve essere il più aperto possibile, ma allo stesso tempo voglio ancora mostrare la curvatura dello scafo.
Nella foto qui sotto vi mostro un'idea approssimativa di cosa voglio lasciare aperta. Le uniche costole che rimarranno intatte sono le costole che hanno anche una nervatura interna (se capisci cosa intendo)...
View attachment 240491

Vorrei davvero chiedere il vostro contributo su questo. Mi mancano questioni importanti da prendere in considerazione, c'è un altro modo "più carino" per lasciare il lato aperto. Tutti i commenti/interni/idee sono ben accetti...

Ciao, la tua rappresentazione è molto valida, quinti d'inalzamento, mentre le altre coste limitate al madiere e mezzo madiere. Anche a prua va benissimo, coste deviate e scalmi di cubia, mentre a poppa farei anche l'imboscamento.

google translation:
Hello, your representation is very good, fifths of elevation, while the other coasts limited to the floor and half floor. Also at the bow is fine, deviated coasts and oarlocks of cubia, while at the stern I would also do the ambush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should take also the deck beams (visible will be definitely the inner clamps where the beams are laying) into account, as well the possible outside planking (f.e. wales) you want or have to make?
Before you make a final decision I would define which areas of the ship you want to plank (in combination with gunports)
Also be aware, when leave the complete side of the vessel open, that you have to make the entire interior..... it is a very complex question and I am pretty sure, that decisions are not easy to make. Definitely you should think about all consequences ...... and we would be happy to assist you in such a brain-storming :cool:

Hello, your representation is very good, fifths of elevation, while the other coasts limited to the floor and half floor. Also at the bow is fine, deviated coasts and oarlocks of cubia, while at the stern I would also do the ambush.
Maybe you should take also the deck beams (visible will be definitely the inner clamps where the beams are laying) into account, as well the possible outside planking (f.e. wales) you want or have to make?
Before you make a final decision I would define which areas of the ship you want to plank (in combination with gunports)
Also be aware, when leave the complete side of the vessel open, that you have to make the entire interior..... it is a very complex question and I am pretty sure, that decisions are not easy to make. Definitely you should think about all consequences ...... and we would be happy to assist you in such a brain-storming :cool:
Thank you Michele and Uwe, I have to do a lot more research indeed.. I realized also the following... At what moment can I open up the side? I prefer to open it up while I am working on the details of the decks so I can access the decks from the top as wel as the side, but that would be a problem I think, will the hull be strong enough to hold the top of the side while I remove a very large part of the middle? And indeed, how about the deck beams... I noticed that the deck beams get support of a beam which is mounted alongside the rib's, so perhaps it is enough to mount these before I open up the side and the hull will still have enough support...

To be continued....

And another update.... I received the mills yesterday so I finished the keel....
20210630_094306 (1).jpg
I used the left ones, so those normally used in cnc-routers, I had no problems with these...

20210630_095405 (1).jpg
This time not out by free hand but wedged in and not in one stroke but three...

The result:
20210630_160505 (1).jpg
20210630_160519 (1).jpg
Results are still not perfect, but much better than the first one. I am glad I created these parts again...

I continued with the back part at the stern...
20210630_112945 (1).jpg
20210630_171354 (1).jpg
20210630_212918 (1).jpg
I am really happy with the millingmachine and the disksander to make my life a lot easier to do this job...

To be continued...

Looking really good! Much better than previous attempt. How did you go about cutting rabbet along the stempost? Tricky bastard to cut for sure.

Looking really good! Much better than previous attempt. How did you go about cutting rabbet along the stempost? Tricky bastard to cut for sure.
Hi Gennaro, in fact, this was not too difficult. It all goes into a straight line. The only problem was that nothing was parallel so I had to use wedges to clamp the keel in the milling machine and this I had to do all just on sight....

Last edited:
Very good work with your new "toys" - I am looking forward to see the final milled steps on the keel
This almost sounds like you knew much better of what I was up against then I did... ;)
The next piece was quite a job.... I made a lot of photos to show you how I made this part. If you think I use too much photos please let me know...

So the next part is:
20210630_212918 (1).jpg
For this I used a massive piece of oak. Although the beginning looks rather flat, I had to use a piece of oak about 1.5cm high because it flow upwarts at the other end...
I started milling the sides because if I would do the top part first I would have a lot more difficulties to clamp the piece
20210701_144820 (1).jpg
After I milled the sides I started with the bottom side. Again, I did first this side because otherwise I would not be able to clamp this piece if I would first mill the top side...
20210701_150605 (1).jpg
20210701_151124 (1).jpg
20210701_154218 (1).jpg
Now I can start with the top side.... I didn't think of it when I started to saw the large part of the piece before I started milling, so I milled all of it...
20210701_155355 (1).jpg
20210701_163428 (1).jpg20210701_173910 (1).jpg
And then one more piece out of the bottom side...
20210701_175634 (1).jpg
Now the milling is ready. Now I glued the two parts together and sanded the sides in the desired shape...
20210701_181851 (1).jpg20210702_190954 (1).jpg
20210702_192328 (1).jpg
After a bit of 'tuning' this is the result...
20210702_192335 (1).jpg
20210702_192342 (1).jpg
20210702_192417 (1).jpg20210702_192423 (1).jpg
No I sanded the side at the end and glued it to the keel....
20210702_201202 (1).jpg
Here I sanded the rabet in the keel more flat. It is a very good feeling to see the different parts coming together like this...
20210702_201221 (1).jpg20210702_201234 (1).jpg
20210702_201422 (1).jpg

And now I realised I forgot something, these holes.... :eek:
20210701_144820 (1) (1).jpg
I think I can still clamp the entire piece in de milling machine..., we'll see...

I know it is still not perfect. Some corners are not exactly square, and the two sides of the keel are not exactly the same ( differes about half a mm), but I think this part is good enough. I'll try to make the next piece better......

By now I created 14 pieces of which 9 double because of the first faillured attempt. I wonder how many pieces I have to make to finish this model :)

So far this update...

Last edited:
Back